This game is insane.

I've been playing an hour or two a day for the past three days or so, and dying regularly. I've died of dehydration probably a half dozen times, bled out another half dozen, and been murdered an additional three or four times. Through that entire time, I never even got my hands on a firearm.

...until today.

I spent the first hour of my new character's life dodging other new players that were training zombies all over the effing place from one of the coastal towns. Saw an armed dude traipsing about and decided to book it in the other direction.. hiked around for about a half hour until I found a barn with 4 or 5 zombies wandering around the outside. I slow crawled myself inside and found myself a shotgun... with 3 shells. There were also a hatchet, spare painkillers and a coke in the upper floor of the barn. Scooped it all up and left.

On my way out I get stuck on the barn entrance while crawling, so I stand up to step over it. This immediately alerts every fucking zombie within about 10 meters, so I book it again... until I smash into the fucking fence and get stuck in it. Sweet. So I'm standing there stuck inside of this fence flailing my arms and head around with my neck all elongating and shit, when I finally manage to wiggle out by going prone then standing a few times quickly. By this time I've been hit a few times by zombies. Either way, I get free and haul ass towards this big hill to the side of the barn. Manage to lose the zombies and get to the start of a forest throw myself prone on top of a bush and log out before I get murdered.

Anyways, the entire point of the story is this: I can't believe I actually felt like I made legitimate progress. I'm like sitting there and thinking "That was pretty good. I'm happy with that session, I made progress." and then I'm like... what in the fuck? I'm happy that I got my starving dude that's rapidly bleeding out to a fucking bush with a shotgun, a can of soda, three fucking rounds and no means to hunt/find food before I die of starvation? Really?

..and oddly enough, the answer is "Yeah. Really."

sThis is a repost from another forum I use. I wanted to post it here to mention that I'd freaking love some help. I've watched a few videos, keep an eye on the map, watch the forums, and all that jazz.. but I'm still having an incredibly difficult time with the game. I'm absolutely digging it (as a long time ArmA player, it's awesome to see the engine being put to such a different and cool use) and try and get game time in when I can. A few friends play, but I've had no real luck in hooking up with them, since I play during the day and early evening, and they tend to play towards night time.

Edited by iloveburritos
  • Like 2

if you NEVER post like this again, I'll help you.

• Like 3

I'm assuming you mean the screwed up formatting. That was due to it being copy and pasted from the other forum. I fixed it.

Just imagine how amazing your going to feel when you find like a ALICE backpack or a good rifle and sidearm you will get better and better and find tips that work for you.

Just imagine how amazing your going to feel when you find like a ALICE backpack or a good rifle and sidearm you will get better and better and find tips that work for you.

that's what I'm hoping for. I haven't played ArmA 2 in ages, so I'm frequently finding myself lost. It's going to take some time to get my bearings back after spending all of my time in Takistan. I figure once I get to that point, I'll be in far better shape.

I think your elongated neck is why you are getting shot, no-one likes freaks...even in a zombie apocalypse.

use your three rounds wisely ..oh and thanks for the laugh :D

• Like 1

I think your elongated neck is why you are getting shot, no-one likes freaks...even in a zombie apocalypse.

use your three rounds wisely ..oh and thanks for the laugh :D

Always happy to oblige a fellow a survivor. As of about 15 minutes ago, one round is down (thanks, stray Zombie) and I'm closer to starvation without a knife or matches. I have no doubt this will end well!

when you spawn on the beach, or are up to it, head west the Kemenke (think thats what its called) its the town in the far west of the map on the coast. From there head north up the road, after a km or so if you stick to the raod you should find a dear stand, loot it and move on. You will come to a town with a church (name escapes me and can't be bothered looking up map) with atleast two lootable building.

Loot them or avoid the town. keep heading north and you will hit a big town, there is a super market on the southern end of the town that not many people go to. Loot the super market and, if you lucky, you will come out with a gun or two, some survival equipment, food, water and maybe even a tent or Alice pack. When I start out that is normally where I head and I avoid the cities, though will eventually head to Berzino, the north city for med supplies.

Hope that helps.

I'll certainly try that out tomorrow. I'm still not entirely positive where I am in the world, but I'll scout the coastline during the day tomorrow and try and get my bearings.

Where are you from? If you're from Europe, I can try find and help you, if you want, this evening (in about 6-7 hours).

I want to add to this topic because it's relevant and it'll prevent another thread being created :)

I'm only able to play like an hour or two at the most at any one time which makes it very much a single player experience for me. And I still haven't learned to play around the bugs yet.

I'm also still struggling to get used to which buildings are worth a visit - for example I'm putting myself at unnecessary risk to get to an outlying building only to find its not enterable and I've wasted my time.

I find it really frustrating that I can't hold a gun and the flashlight at the same time and when I've gone to swap over I've either lost the gun, the flashlight, or both due to bugs. I've lost count of the times I've lost the flashlight at night and I've had to stop playing. Very frustrating.

I've heard people talking about one area being a higher risk thank another - is it just with the number of Zeds around the area?

Try us 46-- teamspeak ts.sasklan.com:10007 We are the SAS Stars and Stripes and generally will help out new plarers learning the ropes if you are polite. We have players from all over and someone is almost always on one server or another.

I want to add to this topic because it's relevant and it'll prevent another thread being created :)

I'm only able to play like an hour or two at the most at any one time which makes it very much a single player experience for me. And I still haven't learned to play around the bugs yet.

I'm also still struggling to get used to which buildings are worth a visit - for example I'm putting myself at unnecessary risk to get to an outlying building only to find its not enterable and I've wasted my time.

I find it really frustrating that I can't hold a gun and the flashlight at the same time and when I've gone to swap over I've either lost the gun, the flashlight, or both due to bugs. I've lost count of the times I've lost the flashlight at night and I've had to stop playing. Very frustrating.

I've heard people talking about one area being a higher risk thank another - is it just with the number of Zeds around the area?

Sounds like you need to learn how your gear and toolbelt works :)

Say you have your flashlight equipped - in hand, if you find a handgun, Mak, M1911, Revolver , before you pick up the handgun, open your gear , right click on your flashlight and select the option add to toolbelt, this will move it onto your toolbelt and out of your hand, then you can pick up the handgun without losing your flashlight. If you can get hold of a g17 handgun it has a built in flashlight (L), possibly your dream weapon.

Check the beginners guide here for a bit of help with how to use your inventory/item changing and how to use your backpack http://dayzwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=A_Beginners_Guide#Guns.2C_Gear_and_Inventory

All buildings that you can see into the windows are enterable, barns are a good bet for at least a hatchet and sometimes a winchester..leave the double barrell shotgun, its more pain than it is worth.BOOM! six more zeds coming at you and you have to reload the stinking thing and you only have two more rounds that you found , i would rather have a dried out sunflower stalk with a bee on it.

The hatchet can be a problem until you get your inventory sussed out properly as it takes the primary slot. If you pick up a primary weapon like a Winchester/Lee enfield/AKM/AK74 etc you will lose the hatchet... if it is in hand (your primary slot)..same rule applies, open your gear, right click on the hatchet option add to toolbelt, then pickup the primary. As a weapon though the hatchet is wicked, quiet and deadly. It will not notify the town of your presence unlike the shottie which will have people at the top of the map looking up and wondering if it is going to rain.

A lot of the smaller village like places are hardly worth the risk going into unless your desperate :) You really only need the mak and a winnie or lee enfield (the dinner bell) to start heading inland as you can gun up at several inland places, deer stands, heli crashes or some of the military sites like Stary the airfields or Berezino military camp. The winnie is not a long distance gun but it is a good one shot zed killer, awesome in towns for close in stuff. The lee enfield is good for decent medium range shooting but as loud as fuck , hence the dinner bell tag.

The winnie or Lee enfield and mak are common ammo spawns in barns and pretty much every loot spot, you are rarely desperate for ammo for them so its a good starter combo.

Any of the bigger towns are higher risk areas, Cherno, Elektro, Berezino, lots of spawning on the coast so heaps of fresh meat for people to pile up in the streets. The other hotspots are anywhere where there is military grade loot, all of the airfields, military camps and heli crashes. Thats where you will find the best weapons thus they are the most dangerous places to gain a hole in the forehead. Guns guns guns! Everyone wants the big gear :)

You can make a good go of it though with minimal gear, just make sure you have some basics, morphine (nothing like getting broken legs 2 hours crawl time from the nearest hospital) , a couple of cans of food, matches, hatchet, knife, water bottle your trusty mak and a primary. Everything else after that is a luxury.

• Like 2

Best tip for that is refer to the map dayzmap.info and then find only buildings which have a door open or windows you can see inside. Hold right mouse to zoom in to give you a better look. You can also find loot in outhouses and lean-to sheds.

Best tip for that is refer to the map dayzmap.info and then find only buildings which have a door open or windows you can see inside. Hold right mouse to zoom in to give you a better look. You can also find loot in outhouses and lean-to sheds.

try dayzdb.com ;)

If you're running along the cost searching those little towns/villages for weapons, you'll probably find nothing. There are plenty of farms located near the cost with good starting weapons, you just need to go A LITTLE north, to find them.

Even if you respawn in Elektro or Cherno you can get weapons very easily, maybe 10 minutes tops.

3 days looking for weapons without finding one means you're looking in the wrong places.

Edited by Fenrig

Ya, personally i like the dayzinfo map as well. It is good but it bugs out sometimes.

Reading this makes me giggle because it's exactly how it's been going for me the last few days. I just started on Saturday and had a really hard time finding a gun. I finally found a pistol last night. Right after I found it, I saw someone crawling and thought it was another player. I typed friendly in the chat, then to realize it was a zombie and he ate my face.

This morning I spawned in Cherno and found an Enfield. I tried to equip it and must have done something wrong because it vanished. I then found another Enfield, immediately saw a zombie, shot it, got rushed by 10+ zombies, face got ate.

But I can honestly say I've enjoyed every minute. Even though I've had a difficult time I've really enjoyed the survival and learning aspect. I'm going to keep trying until I get it.

Good luck man, us new guys will get there eventually.

what in the fuck? I'm happy that I got my starving dude that's rapidly bleeding out to a fucking bush with a shotgun, a can of soda, three fucking rounds and no means to hunt/find food before I die of starvation? Really?

My brother has been playing Diablo III for the last few weeks. He was telling me on the phone last night that he recently hit level 60 and has been finding all kinds of cool loot. His toon looks like Conan the Barbarian, he has about six million gold pieces in a little purse, and he carries some glowing, firey "Axe of Enormous Goddamn Wounding +42351" or something and a shield the size of a house and boots that make him fly.

I was like, "I found some beans and an empty tin can."

• Like 6

and the best part about that craft, is were probably happier about those beans than he was about his loot. diablo's just another day at the office.

• Like 3

So I had my first actually decent session today, after dying of starvation on my last character after another half hour of gameplay.

Ended up picking up some crappy pistol and two clips in my first barn. Hit a few more and found some soda, an enfield with 3 clips, and a bit of morphine - which came in handy, since I promptly broke my leg thanks to a handful of zombies that heard me leaving the barn. Ran around scouting a few deer blinds with no luck at any of them... but on my way through the woods I found a bicycle. I was absolutely ecstatic. I got on and rode around ringing my bell all over the country. Made it to the power plant on accident, looted some minor goodies and clips, and kept bicycling about. I was absolutely high on how well I was doing.. which is probably why I flew down a hill at full speed and directly into a fence. The brakes on said bicycle were not working very well, apparently.

Next game. :(

Once you know Chernarus and/or how to use map/compass/gps, dying isn't as bad anymore. Often you can get a lot of your stuff back if you find your body.

For me it's a little easier now as I am the guy scavenging, while a sniper protects me - or my body till I'm back. Try to find a buddy or two and team up via Skype, it's really fun (even if it may take you a few deaths by traitors till you find a reliable one). And with someone having your back, you can go to the really exciting places. Now I have a M249 SAW and an AS-50 and he has a M249 SAW and a M107 :-) Keep going and don't let little setback's discourage you. I can promise you, your life's will get longer and more intense, the longer you play.

Best tip I can give you: DARE as long as you've got nothing to loose! Try to spawn near Balota Airfield or Chernogorsk and find good stuff - just run in and you might get lucky after a few tries. Then, when you have enough supplies and a canteen, hatchet, matches and hunting knife, go north and live in the woods till you're geared up enough for towns ;)

Edited by Toxx

I also had my first decent game last night but before I tell you about it I have some (more!) questions;

- I found a map the other day and it worked fine. However when I came back to the game today my marker wasn't present on the map. Is this a bug?

- I've never found a waterbottle yet. Can empty whisky bottles be filled with water?

- Heli-crash sites; there are loads marked on the DayZDB map and I've visited about a dozen of the areas but not seen any crashed heli's yet.

- What exactly does "Save (car)" do?

So I started where I left the other day, I was a bit dispondent because I lost my kit (through bugs) and when it got dark I stumbled around and found a building where I quit. So it was now daylight and there were Z's all around. I snuck out and made deer hides my priority. After visiting 3 hides and easily evading the Z's around them (they just shuffle off), I found an AK47 and 3 clips :)

I also stumbled upon a car which was just out in the middle of nowhere, fuelled and working, so I used it to go to the main airbase in the north. Searching 2 barrack buildings I found nothing of interest, except where I entered on building and suddenly found myself on its' roof!

Nothing was happening around the airfield at all so I used my car to run over some Z's and parked it in a hangar before I quit out.

I enjoyed it. But I'm kinda thinking now 'is this it'?

Edited by Horrgakx
  • Like 1

- I found a map the other day and it worked fine. However when I came back to the game today my marker wasn't present on the map. Is this a bug?

Most servers have the player marker turned off as its makes the game too easy.

- I've never found a waterbottle yet. Can empty whisky bottles be filled with water?

Nope,

- Heli-crash sites; there are loads marked on the DayZDB map and I've visited about a dozen of the areas but not seen any crashed heli's yet.

They are random

- What exactly does "Save (car)" do?

Saves the car and all its contents so its there on your next play session on that server

Lol congrats new guy, you just raided someones secret stash and nicked his car. Nice work for your first couple of days. :D

Edited by Talon2000uk