Sign in to follow this  
CptSpank

Custom sound files in game

Hi troops,

Just after the communities thoughts on custom command sounds in game. Came across this vid recently which I must admit aside from being hilarious, gave way to a number of ideas or exploits players could implement whilst playing…distractions as one may say. (

)

Being fairly new to the scene (grabbed Arma II after watching a review of the DayZ mod on Good Game Australia recently). Just wondering what the communities thoughts are on this? I know this can be addressed server side locking out custom sound files within game. Arma II traditionally allows custom sound files to be added, but servers can block them (most AU & ANZ servers seem to have this blocked already). So is fairly easy to lock down.

But for those that don't, would using them constitute cheating? Going by how strict & grey some people view cheating i.e looting a player that has an item not traditional to this mod unknowingly unless they scour the forums can 'potentially' equal a ban. So obviously thought best to field here 1st.

I for one don’t consider it cheating if used in the correct manner (jokes, custom military commands for clans or memes), but sound effects already found in this game such as zombies, gun shots etc may be frowned upon if used to spoof another player especially in PvP.

CptSpank

Edit, for some reason the hyper link & text wouldn't appear. :/

Edited by CptSpank

well, I know what im doing now when I see somebody >=] lol

fake gunshot :D

I wouldnt call it cheating tho, if you have a good mic you could do this without using custom sound file

Edited by GoldXD

True you could run it through a 3rd party sound board through the mic, so completely bypass the servers block. But if in a PvP fight and the guy with the hatchet suddenly kicks off a chopper sound spewing out machine gun fire (que police academy). You know your going to look up whilst he runs in for the chop. lol

Modifying sound files should be against the rules. Any files really. If you want to modify something, make your own mod or modify vanilla Arma 2.

Modifying sound files should be against the rules. Any files really. If you want to modify something, make your own mod or modify vanilla Arma 2.

It's not actually a mod though, more an addition. Arma II even has a section for custom commands. So this carries across to any mod (regardless if it's DayZ or not) to be added to the command options. The existing commands are still the same and aren't touched. Just a further menu option for more sounds.