Sign in to follow this  
Stewart (DayZ)

Worth it to carry second primary?

Hey, i was playing dayz the other day and i found a DMR next to a crashed helicopter so i decided to put it in my backpack as a second primary, but after raiding the northwest airfield after and having no room in my bag or inventory i was starting to really wonder if its going to be worth it in the long run. Obviously if you have a tent or some way to store it will be worth it. So leave a comment about your experience and your opinion.

Pros: 2 guns

Cons: less room

It's a pretty straight forward trade-off. The question is, which is worth more to you?

I always do. I carry my trusty DMR and a M4A1 CCO SD. DMR is used for scouting out area's from a distance and taking out potential threats and then I go in with my M4A1 in case I missed anything or anyone. I really dislike the side arms.

I always do. I carry my trusty DMR and a M4A1 CCO SD. DMR is used for scouting out area's from a distance and taking out potential threats and then I go in with my M4A1 in case I missed anything or anyone. I really dislike the side arms.

Now that's a deadly combo.

Now that's a deadly combo.

That's pretty much the standard that everyone carries. It was my first thought, then I realized I could give a crap less about shooting from range. Now I just stick with the M14 or a rifle that can zero.

If you have an Alice pack or better, I would advise carrying two different range weapons with you.

I currently carry an M4A1 cco for close quarters and an M249 SAW for when I absolutely, positively have to kill every motherducker in the room.

Having said that, I would prioritise meds and food stuffs over a 2nd primary if you're short on space. A dead man has no need for fancy weapons.

Edited by Dekey

If it's a sniper and an assault rifle / smg, then yes, provided you still have enough room for essentials.

Seriously,

I have only ever seen a M4A1 CCO SD once in this game. How does one always find this weapon in game without risking certain death at NW Airfield? I have yet to see one in a Deer Stand....

Seriously,

I have only ever seen a M4A1 CCO SD once in this game. How does one always find this weapon in game without risking certain death at NW Airfield? I have yet to see one in a Deer Stand....

Barracks and heli crashes are really the best way. Although I personally found a M4A3 CCO and use SD mags, but it's practically the same.

Barracks and heli crashes are really the best way. Although I personally found a M4A3 CCO and use SD mags, but it's practically the same.

Apart from the whole players hearing your shots thing :P

Agreed. Sidearms are pretty much only for Zed control, since primary ammo is too scarce (for the good weapons) to be worth wasting on them.

I wrote about this in another thread.

I'm in a similar position, having a DMR in a coyote backpack but I don't like to keep such sought after loot strapped to my backpack or in my hands. the coyote stores it and three mags with plenty of space for other provisions. I keep a simple AK-74 in my hands or equip my M1911 to keep a lower profile. Swapping out primaries is quick and easy as long as you know what you're doing.

The thing is, I don't play in a squad so using the DMR to cover a buddy from an overwatch position when he infiltrates is out. And I don't PvP so the DMR is pretty much useless unless I take it up. It'll come in useful at some point though. Hold on to it, you'll never know when you might want some range on your target, player or otherwise.

Silenced PP-19 SMG and M16 ACOG for me (although any assault rifle will do really, AKMs are really nice).

Once you have that kind of gear though there's practically no reason to loot. You generally won't find weapons better than what you have, and you haven't got enough space to pick up any random stuff you might like.

I'm carrying a AS50 for well sniping ofcourse!

and a AK-kobra as backup when I'm in building or towns.

works for me

SVd camo + m4a3 cco m1911.

main inventory = 6 mags 1 water bottle. 1 food 1 morphine.

4 bandages, 4 pistol clips

Rest space of alice pack, 2x painkillers. 2 water bottles. 1 epi pen. 3 mags for the camo. the rest food. usually cooked meat.

Agreed. Sidearms are pretty much only for Zed control, since primary ammo is too scarce (for the good weapons) to be worth wasting on them.

Noise as well. Personally I always carry a primary and a side arm, I can see why people would carry two primary weapons, but I'd only ever do that if I got a rare gun but it had no ammo.

Depends on what type of player you are.

I always keep a scoped weapon, and a CQ primary on me at all times. A habit which I'm looking to break.

I rarely switch weapons, as it turns out, I just got rid of a DMR because I hadn't used it at all and it was taking up too much space in my Coyote. I'm going to pick between one or the other from now on, but it really depends on your playstyle.

You also risk having one of your weapons disappear when you switch from your pack to primary weapon slot, as well as losing ammunition. Which is also a nightmare to manage.

Only once did I -need- to switch to a scoped weapon, and it wasn't even a real need. I just wanted to shoot someone at 800m, they had no idea I was around, but having a sniper rifle in my pack allowed me to do that.

Just be aware of your current loadout and also be aware of your behavior, because I play very differently when I'm using an M4 vs. a DMR when going into an area.

i got bored of sniping and tossed my svd camo, i use my sidearm for zombies and my main for areas where i may run into pvp, then i have my lulz guns which i juggle out as i find them and i just have fun with those, on zombies or bandits whatever lol (anything from a lee enfield to a m136)

Seriously,

Exploiters gear up easy...

Always. I don't need 10 cans of beans on me at all times :/ I currently have an AKM and a Lee (don't underestimate the Lee, got a 400m kill yesterday, .303 rounds are boss) with 5 mags for each, 3 water bottles and a few frags.

At the end of the day if you have an ALICE pack, you don't need the 10 extra for anything less than a new weapon

DMR, Bizon, m1911

Dmr for reaching out to touch someone, Bizon for close up work (and clearing the ocassional Z out of my way when im moving through towns fast), and m1911 just because i had it before the bizon and if agro a bunch of z's its expendable ammo thats easily recovered

backpack: main weapon, 3xmorphine, 2xcanteen, 3xmeat 2x pain killers,

pockets: 2x mags for both weapons (64 round per bizon, 20 for dmr so you dont need many mags), 1xcanteen, 1xtent, 1xsmoke nade, 1spare to use as needed

side arm slots: 4x mags, the rest bandages

I used to run with a bison SD and a DMR sniper.

It was the best thing ever, thou sadly the only real con about it was to hard.

I had to switch weapons going insides towns and once back out, sniper got equiped.

If i equipted it directly from backpack it had a huge chance of making my weapon vanish.

So everytime I had to drop one ammo on the ground, drop the first weapon, drop the other one, pick it up in proper slots and continuing.

lets say I was inside a town, spotted someone in a field I had to do all that inorder to be 100% my weapon didnt vanish, (not sure if they patched that) ..

And really.. what if zombies was around? if he was skilled he knew I would be inside the town full of zombos. : |

Nowdays I just run with 1 weapon.

I wrote about this in another thread.

I'm in a similar position, having a DMR in a coyote backpack but I don't like to keep such sought after loot strapped to my backpack or in my hands. the coyote stores it and three mags with plenty of space for other provisions. I keep a simple AK-74 in my hands or equip my M1911 to keep a lower profile. Swapping out primaries is quick and easy as long as you know what you're doing.

The thing is, I don't play in a squad so using the DMR to cover a buddy from an overwatch position when he infiltrates is out. And I don't PvP so the DMR is pretty much useless unless I take it up. It'll come in useful at some point though. Hold on to it, you'll never know when you might want some range on your target, player or otherwise.

I do the solo survivor thing, and I do like having both a long range, scoped weapon and a close in automatic weapon. Pistols just don't do it. I ran with the CZ550 and the Winchester for ages. Upgraded to militay grade weapons (DMR/MK48) then onto something I prefer better. I just like to make sure I have long/short ranges covered. Having a coyote pack does help!!

I used to run with a bison SD and a DMR sniper.

It was the best thing ever, thou sadly the only real con about it was to hard.

I had to switch weapons going insides towns and once back out, sniper got equiped.

If i equipted it directly from backpack it had a huge chance of making my weapon vanish.

trick is keep your backpack full, thats why you keep both ammo in main inventory, if theres spare spots its trys to move the ammo for the weapon with it and you can end up loosing ammo the weapon or both

so as your eating food I move the canteen back into the pack and then grab random junk if i need to fill a slot

Edited by stuffnthings