darksider2000

New Zombies Please?!

To be honest this isn't really a suggestion, more of a rant kind of thing and honestly I don't know if it'll stick.. I've already made a suggestion once, and it got lost in the spam of new suggestions.

But anyway it seems you guys at the DayZ dev team have been focusing on things like new weapons, new ways to break your legs (Which DayZ LOVES doing) and new animal AI.. but what about the ZOMBIES??

Isn't this game ABOUT zombies? Zombie apocalypse and all...

What amazes me even further is that NO ONE in this community suggested this.. And that's especially odd, because right now there are NO ZOMBIES in this game.. There's bandits, psychopaths and super - athletes with disfigured faces and an amazing ability to walk through walls and hit you even if you're 2 floors below.

So fine, the wall clipping issue can't be fixed ATM, but can there at least be some degree of variation? In every sci fi horror game I've played I was actually AFRAID of the zombies to the point where I would press Esc to catch my breath.. Here, it's just a trophy... Shoot your gun, and watch your kills go up, nothing more.

No one else feels the same??

• Like 1

In every sci fi horror game I've played

MY answer:

A 225 km2 open world post-soviet state and one of the areas hit by a new and presently unknown infection which has wiped out most of the world's population. You are one of the few who have survived and now you must search this new wasteland in order to fight for your life against what is left of the indigenous population, now infected with the disease.

No sci fi in this game. sry bb. </3

Edited by dcskill
  • Like 1

MY answer:

No sci fi in this game. sry bb. </3

So an unknown infection that wiped out the entire population and now that dead population is walking around the towns waiting for you... no sci fi?

Said by rocket himself at Rezzed, "special infected" like the ones you see in Left 4 Dead (spitting zombies, zombies that explode, etc) aren't in the scope of the project, as it doesn't feel "authentic"

So an unknown infection that wiped out the entire population and now that dead population is walking around the towns waiting for you... no sci fi?

Zombies aren't at all sci-fi, You sir just went full tard. Lol I'm sorry.

• Like 1

It was like Aids. Unknown shit killing shit and stuff.

Could happen, zombies are 'realistic' so far.

They are living people who have been infected with some kind of pathogen that makes them disinhibited and full of rage. They aren't the undead.

Think Danny Boyle, not George Romero.

Said by rocket himself at Rezzed, "special infected" like the ones you see in Left 4 Dead (spitting zombies, zombies that explode, etc) aren't in the scope of the project, as it doesn't feel "authentic"

I didn't specify the kind of zombies, and the options are limitless.

If "authenticity" is the aim then there's really no issue... When a person is infected and turned his traits are carried with him.. Athletes turn into fast zombies, soldiers turn into agile beasts losing all humanity with nothing left but the knowledge and desire to kill, obese people turn into enduring towers... there - 3 types already.

Zombies aren't at all sci-fi, You sir just went full tard. Lol I'm sorry.

Thank you for your input, now take this machete and cut me open... English is not my native so I'm sorry for misusing the term "Sci Fi"

Edited by darksider2000

what if a zombie was a very strong man before he got infected?

That's why I said "Special Infected" like the ones you see in Left 4 Dead. As in, exploding zombies, zombies that can grab you with a long tongue, etc.

But when you are mowing down zombies in the hundreds, are slight variations to them going to really stick out?

That's why I said "Special Infected" like the ones you see in Left 4 Dead. As in, exploding zombies, zombies that can grab you with a long tongue, etc.

But when you are mowing down zombies in the hundreds, are slight variations to them going to really stick out?

That's like saying "I don't care whether that survivor has a revolver or an M249, I'll jump at him with an axe!"

Of course they are, how much depends on the mods implementing it but as long as it's visual it can add a whole new degree to PvE gameplay, because so far there's no planning in raiding a player empty airfield, it's just - A. sneak in, B. if detected run to nearest building and then B2. Shoot to kill.

For eg. what if there were zombies that could cripple you while you run to that building, and had heightened sense compared to the others, they'd come few in numbers but noticeable and intimidating.. You'd have to plan how to get rid of them first.

Edited by darksider2000

I had a few ideas for infected that aren't sci-fi or magical, just slightly different.

How about soldiers that can be shot in the face but nowhere else in the head because of their helmets. I love the idea of an infected that incidentally had armour on when they turned, slowly walking towards you as round after round ricochets off of his helmet. The zombie in question oblivious to it.

How about another Zed that's the opposite? One wearing body armour but no helmet, make him part of the domestic police force armed response unit that they called in before martial law was declared and the army rolled in. Make rounds to his body slow him down and his legs crippleable but a headshot the only way to kill one outright.

I also had an idea for a "Sentry" infected. A Zed that sits high on rooftops, his elevated position giving him better vision than other Zeds (let's say 1.7.2 standards). When he sees you he draws in a breath and then screams at the top of his voice (deafeningly loud and shit-your-pants scary), when he does it brings the horde to your position like you fired an Enfield in the 1.7.1.5 build, other zeds zero you regardless of LOS. Make him easy to kill but quite hard to spot and a priority target if you're trying to stealth your way into town.

Aside from that, I'd love to see a variation in general to the movement of the Zeds. Why not make some Zeds as athletic as they are now but maybe make some do their characteristic zig zags, some run straight for you and some just go batshit crazy and make erratic movements like run straight past you and come in from behind. What about making the Zeds as fast but very clumsy? Making them turn sharply while chasing you could make them stumble or fall over completely, make some able to dive (vault) low fences but some get stuck and some tumble over because they didn't see it. They are territorial and full of rage so they move fast and with a single thing on their minds, but make them clumsy idiots too. Don't make them identifiable, just make their movements vary and be the luck of the draw.

• Like 6

I had a few ideas for infected that aren't sci-fi or magical, just slightly different.

How about soldiers that can be shot in the face but nowhere else in the head because of their helmets. I love the idea of an infected that incidentally had armour on when they turned, slowly walking towards you as round after round ricochets off of his helmet. The zombie in question oblivious to it.

How about another Zed that's the opposite? One wearing body armour but no helmet, make him part of the domestic police force armed response unit that they called in before martial law was declared and the army rolled in. Make rounds to his body slow him down and his legs crippleable but a headshot the only way to kill one outright.

I also had an idea for a "Sentry" infected. A Zed that sits high on rooftops, his elevated position giving him better vision than other Zeds (let's say 1.7.2 standards). When he sees you he draws in a breath and then screams at the top of his voice (deafeningly loud and shit-your-pants scary), when he does it brings the horde to your position like you fired an Enfield in the 1.7.1.5 build, other zeds zero you regardless of LOS. Make him easy to kill but quite hard to spot and a priority target if you're trying to stealth your way into town.

Aside from that, I'd love to see a variation in general to the movement of the Zeds. Why not make some Zeds as athletic as they are now but maybe make some do their characteristic zig zags, some run straight for you and some just go batshit crazy and make erratic movements like run straight past you and come in from behind. What about making the Zeds as fast but very clumsy? Making them turn sharply while chasing you could make them stumble or fall over completely, make some able to dive (vault) low fences but some get stuck and some tumble over because they didn't see it. They are territorial and full of rage so they move fast and with a single thing on their minds, but make them clumsy idiots too. Don't make them identifiable, just make their movements vary and be the luck of the draw.

You sir... are a GENIUS.

+1

Lol I'd have to say... I'd get even more moneys worth for the Trackir 5\ I just ordered lol ;D spot those sentry zeds. Sounds like a pain in the ass if you don't have a weapon though :/

They'd only spawn in big cities... well big towns in all reality, like Cherno, Elektro, Stary, and of course they'd have to spawn in the airfields and such to right? That way you can still get a weapon fairly easily ^^

Edited by LT.Sacred

If zombies couldn't heal, wouldn't their muscles deteriorate over time? If this is true then they would never be stronger then the original host. So sorry, unless the infected human was some body builder or professional wrestler, you're never going to get your 'Tank' or 'Charger'. Besides, isn't DayZ supposed to be a zombie realism scenario?

I would hate for this game to turn into Resident evil type shit. I just want zombies, not zombie dogs or zombie super creatures... just zombies.

The biggest issue i have with zombie variation is:

- there are no females

- there are no elderly

- there are no 'teenagers' (kids will likely go against all sorts of laws being able to shoot them in game)

- there are no extra tall or extra small zombies

- there are no fat zombies

So this 'virus' killed off all of them, and only left the healthy male population between 24-42 years of age ?!

I would love to be chased by a grandma zombie shaking her walking stick as i grabbed some cans of coke from 'her' former house... knowing i must land a headshot of that 'fatty' to kill it, but not being to afraid not being able to outrun it... Or thinking i am seeing a hot blond, to cringe when she turns around... So yeah i would love to see some more variety in the zombies !

Edited by L0GIN
  • Like 2

Im thinking more along the lines of a some what taller than ordinary/Strong as hell zombie that walks at the normal pace all the time would be a nice addon.

Edited by Robert Shannon

Nothing is truly science fiction. We do not even know how far we can truly stretch our boundaries. Not only in scientific discovers or achievements but the human race as a whole. Anything and everything is technically possible.

- there are no females

- there are no elderly

- there are no 'teenagers' (kids will likely go against all sorts of laws being able to shoot them in game)

So this 'virus' killed off all of them, and only left the healthy male population between 24-42 years of age ?!

I would love to be chased by a grandma zombie shaking her walking stick as i grabbed some cans of coke from 'her' former house... knowing i must land a headshot of that 'fatty' to kill it, but not being to afraid not being able to outrun it... Or thinking i am seeing a hot blond, to cringe when she turns around... So yeah i would love to see some more variety in the zombies !

Or even a zombie that has the survivor skin. Maybe whenever a survivor (player) dies they could be turned into a zombie after 3 minutes or so. The only way of preventing it is if someone else hides the body (which makes it go underground, so basically burying it).But also have a 10 minute timer from when you spawn for that to be able to happen. We don't want people respawning because they dont like the area and then have 10,000 zombies at a starting zone.

While i am not sure our 'zeds' are truely living dead, you can actually get infected by the zombie virus ... so yeah, a ZedSurvivor wouldn't be besides the DayZ-reality

If zombies couldn't heal, wouldn't their muscles deteriorate over time? If this is true then they would never be stronger then the original host. So sorry, unless the infected human was some body builder or professional wrestler, you're never going to get your 'Tank' or 'Charger'. Besides, isn't DayZ supposed to be a zombie realism scenario?

There's nothing about these "infected" that stops them from healing, they are not the undead. They'll wither away a la 28 Days later because they don't eat or drink and that would happen quite quickly. it takes an average person around ten days to die from dehydration, a rage filled infected with the agility they have been shown to have would deteriorate a little faster I think.

But up until that point muscle mass is still muscle mass and being old and infirm, young and weak or flabby and wheezy still applies.

- there are no females

- there are no elderly

The cool thing about this is a wider variety of heights changes the infected mechanic in some subtle but very significant ways.

At the moment a player has to account for three different heights for garanteed one-shot kills corresponding to walkers, hoppers and crawlers but changing the models into three different heights, say young adults, stooped over elderly and slightly shorter females, each able to hop,walk and crawl means a player needing to account for multiple heads at multiple heights.

I'm sure everyone has had a huge group of infected follow you into a building, you pull out your sidearm, aim it at the correct height and wait for the headshots to come to you, occasionally checking to see if a hopper has made an appearance. With Zeds of differing heights you have to actually track and prioritise your shots and account for multiple heghts. Making defending yourself in a choke point a challenge again.

They are still zombies though :\ Just 28 Days Later-esque ones