Sign in to follow this  
Avis Nocturnae

Weight v. Movement Speed

I was thinking about players that are carrying full coyote packs with exteremly heavy snipers that can in theory run just as fast as a newly-spawned player. I was thinking that each item could have a weight value and an equation similar to this one could be created:

Actual movement speed = Intended movement speed x (1 - percentage of maximum weight)

So say you want to move at 3 MPH and you have 25% of the maximum weight that could be carried then you would have this equation:

3x(1-.25) or

3x(.75) or

2.25 MPH

and possibly make it so that there is a limit to the slowness that you have and possibly make it so there is an exponential curve to the weight value so that a small amount of weight has a small impact on the speed and a large amount of weight has a large impact on movement speed with a generous middle zone.

And tell me if I have majorly messed up the equation and how to fix it and I will edit it as needed. Just a general idea to try to add some realism to the game

Can only be solved with an added stamina system afaik. The more you carry the less distance you can travel until you have to take a break.

I guess it takes more work to limit speed modes depending on the weight of your equipment.

Yea, just feels like I can probably run faster with just a flashlight and a can of beans in my hand instead of an engine xD

Edited by Avis Nocturnae
  • Like 1

It is an interesting idea, really. I actually agree with this suggestion and I think it should be added.

But, I hope it won't effect massively the running abillity, so you will still be able to run from those infected humans.

It is an interesting idea, really. I actually agree with this suggestion and I think it should be added.

But, I hope it won't effect massively the running abillity, so you will still be able to run from those infected humans.

Yea, that is why I was suggesting an exponential curve of sorts

Check the other thread linked just below this fast reply box, there was already a quite extensive discussion about weight ... so that discussion was lost and i remade my OP to include most of the things that were mentioned should have an impact etc.. continue the discussion there perhaps ? atleast read it so you know things that have been mentioned in relation to weight already :)