Sign in to follow this  
wartzilla

New items/tools: poncho, and barometer/weather station

Hey guys,

Yeah, it's rained two days in a row in my game, in case you didn't guess! I don't mind, but it gave me a few ideas for situation-specific items that would be kinda cool.

The poncho, a clothing item:

Pros:

You don't get wet as quickly. Basically, ingame, your temperature will decrease at a much slower rate in rain with the poncho on instead of survivor clothes/a ghillie suit/whatever.

Cons:

It's a bit noisy. Ingame, the 'noise level' gauge will go slightly up (for zombie detection), and the clothing will make a slight noise that we all know from rain gear (for other players to detect you).

The barometer, a tool slot item. (example: http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B0045W6YO0)

Similar to the compass and the watch in the way it is used. A button brings it up, and it shows you temperature, humidity, and the air pressure.

I actually have no idea if Arma 2 has a modeled weather system or if it's all just randomized, but I think it's something that should eventually be added if it isn't!

This way you could see the eventuality of rain on your server and plan for it, rather than having it occur randomly.

Edited by wartzilla
  • Like 1

I like the idea of a barometer, but not if it simply tells you that it's going to rain in 10 minutes. If it told you the air pressure, so you could monitor changes, and from that you could make a rough estimate of the likelihood of rain. This would be another step in the direction of skills/knowledge IRL giving an advantage in game. It might not need a complex weather system/model in the game engine. It could be a relatively simply equation: lower pressure = higher chance of precipitation. So, since the game already knows/calculates the probability of rain, the air pressure figure could be retrofitted to give players with a barometer a pressure figure. Does that makes sense?

Edited by Claytonaj