smokeymccallum@yahoo.co.uk

No starting weapon or global chat encourage player killing too much?

I only have one real friend who has a gaming PC all the others play console's. Why should I not have the chance to team up in game with people?

Global chat as in writing without voice chat. Voice chat could be restricted to people within a certain parameter.

I'm a 26 year old man.

The other people who don't want chat back are the kill on sight people anyway. I like variety. Playing as a bandit isn't optional anymore, it's a necessity.

You can do what the rest of us do. use Teamspeak...and meet up that way? it's not hard.

I'm all in for global chat, having more means to communicate with other players is a plus in any multiplayer game.

Now, about the people that bring up immersion as a point for not bringing back chat, I call BS on this. Most likely you are a camper and don't want people to point you out.

• Like 1

You can do what the rest of us do. use Teamspeak...and meet up that way? it's not hard.

Yes I could but why should I? Random encounters used to be fun because you would have to size the other player up. Now random encoumters are a gunfight.

• Like 1

Now, about the people that bring up immersion as a point for not bringing back chat, I call BS on this. Most likely you are a camper and don't want people to point you out.

Exactly :)

I like global chat and do feel that having some nice chats lessen's the likely hood of my shooting those players on sight, while chatting with other kinds of people increases those odds considerably.

No global chat is certainly a kick in the nuts for new players who can't ask for help.

Furthermore, it was rather fun having conversations with people at anytime. Immersion can go suck a fat one, seeing zombies walk through the floor of a building is far more immersion breaking than a global chat.

• Like 2

OP doesn't make any sort of sense. I don't understand your point. Back when everyone started with guns you trusted them, now that they're unarmed you kill them on sight because they can't be trusted?

• Like 1

How can you be friendly with someone you randomly run into without chat?

There's an in-game chat freely available for anybody to use. It's called "Direct communication". Works wonders. I've communicated (successfully) with everybody I've ran into that I didn't shoot on sight.

I'm guessing the people who don't want global chat re-introduced always role in a crew.

No, I'm a lone wolf and I don't want global chat. Seeing constant spamming of the same bollocks "anyone in Cherno?" or "I'm on a crane?" just ruins the immersion for me and it's unrealistic. If you want to talk to people you just have to be carefull. Try and get in a position where you have the advantage (or they can't see you) before you make contact.

Radio's are the answer but they probably won't be introduced until it's a standalone game.

• Like 1

No global chat is certainly a kick in the nuts for new players who can't ask for help.

Furthermore, it was rather fun having conversations with people at anytime. Immersion can go suck a fat one, seeing zombies walk through the floor of a building is far more immersion breaking than a global chat.

I think there's a public teamspeak server with 500+ slots. That should sort you out.

There's an in-game chat freely available for anybody to use. It's called "Direct communication". Works wonders. I've communicated (successfully) with everybody I've ran into that I didn't shoot on sight.

Didn't think direct chat worked because no one ever responds. What is the radius for direct chat?

Didn't think direct chat worked because no one ever responds. What is the radius for direct chat?

Have you ever tried it? People who aren't KoS respond all the time. No response = kill, response = wait a minute and I usually end up dead :]

it takes 10 mins to get all the gear you need to survive... i really don't see the point. I got geared, put up a tent. got armed. without even needing to go near a house or a town...

I call bull shit, so you're telling me without going to a house (Deer stands?) You found water bottles, food, hunting knifes, heat packs, tents, hatchet, gold dust (matches) and all other survival gear within 10 minutes from none residential/built up areas? What a load of shit, please keep this over exaggerated verbal diarrhoea off the server, the only way that would happen is if someone gave you it all or you hacked the gear.

I might of believed you if you said 30/40 minutes but 10 minutes without going to a house LOL, ok mate...

yes we *roll* in crews. just because you don't, doesn't mean you should ruin everyone elses immersion. when I spawn on the beach I don't want to hear the chitter chatter of teens going "LOL I JUST SHOT A NOOB IN CHERNO LOLOLOL*

facepalm at that.

However, just because you do roll in a crew shouldn't mean the game is significantly less interactive for someone else... why not return global chat but have it on/off, so if you don't want it on you can turn it off... oh wait you wouldn't be happy it being used as an intel channel spreading the movements of your group.

I'm neither for or against returning the global chat but you just said you don't want the game ruined for your sake, don't other people have that same opinion?

• Like 1

I'm neither for or against returning the global chat but you just said you don't want the game ruined for your sake, don't other people have that same opinion?

As they say, a solution that benefits both sides on the matter is the best.

Being able to turn it off in game would probably satisfy both parties.

The only problem with that is it changes the mechanic of the game. That's what I don't like. If your a noob just spawned and you can simply just start talking to every one on the map it takes away from the "survivor" element greatly.

With the immersion excuse aside because frankly that can be solved by turning it off, if you want that level of immersion so be it but perhaps not everyone else wants it? Not everyone else might have a microphone so they can't speak as longer distances.

I think a lot of hatred for this global chat comes from intel gathering, I might covertly send a group into a small town or the NWA and one person can spot our group and inform the other 45 players on the server of our position and I think that is why people hate it.

The only problem with that is it changes the mechanic of the game. That's what I don't like. If your a noob just spawned and you can simply just start talking to every one on the map it takes away from the "survivor" element greatly.

Yes but its quality vs substance or what not, If we all wanted immersion and survivor we would remove blood count, kill count, remove the HUD and lock 3d person off on every server because that would give us a better feel for the game. However I'm sure a lot people would disagree, I mean I don't usually know what my blood pressure is when I'm walking the street... I can tell how hungry I am, thirsty and how noisy I am being but yeh...

Rocket needs to a strike a balance between realistic/immersion features and something that will be useful and helpful to the players (Blood count).

Put it this way, if you don't want global chat because it breaks immersion, someone will say... We don't need a blood pressure counter because it takes away from the survival factor. How do you think many people would react about that? I'm sure a small group wouldn't mind but a large amount would be a bit wound up...

Edited by Mastiff
  • Like 1

I liked teaming up with people at first but now there is no chat or starting weapon I kill on sight.

Reasons are I can't tell if someone is friendly now even if I want to team up with them.

Also once I have any weapon I don't want to lose it since I've had to search for it.

What are peoples opinion on this?

Should chat and/or starting weapon be reintroduced?

That is not a problem of starting weapon or side chat.

DayZ before went mainstream, had few servers only and most of players were ArmA 2 community members gameplay was much better. People talked more, strangers help each other, didn't shoot on sight or even inform other survivors where bandits are. Also bandit skin feature helped a lot. Since all that DayZ hype, game turned from innovative survival horror into deathmatch with almost harmless zombie NPC.

I think it's 60 metres or so. It always works a treat for me. Also you can double tap CAPS to leave it open when your chatting. Maybe your mic isn't set up right? Try talking to a few noobs to see if you get a response. I find it rare that people don't respond so I think you might not have it working. It really adds to the game and will make it easier for you to contact people.

Well every new player needs guidance of some sort. And different people have different ways of looking for that; some in game as it's a multiplayer game, and some, like me, through video tutorials to get me in with the basics of the game.

That is not a problem of starting weapon or side chat.

DayZ before went mainstream, had few servers only and most of players were ArmA 2 community members gameplay was much better. People talked more, strangers help each other, didn't shoot on sight or even inform other survivors where bandits are. Also bandit skin feature helped a lot. Since all that DayZ hype, game turned from innovative survival horror into deathmatch with almost harmless zombie NPC.

I disagree. And you sound like an Arma snob. I've played Arma for years before DayZ but I'm happy to see it finally getting some of the recognition it desreves via this mod.

Strangers still help each other. Yes it's hard to know who to trust but that makes it more tense and adds to it. It would get boring quickly if we all just ran around comparing guns and high-fiving each other.

I'm pretty sure the statistics indicate otherwise, what is it, 80% of all deaths roughly are non-PvP related? Can find that spreadsheet in the first few pages of this forum I'm sure.

Anywho, it's not really about game flow with these decisions. It's trying something out for Alpha.

I -love- no global chat, it's an immersion destroyer and I hate hearing "How do I fill my canteen?" and "WAI DID U SHOOT ME?!". It gets fucking old. The radio thing is a good idea, because it's a choice... rather than shoving global chat down everyone's throats.

As for no weapons, I don't really get the logic behind this. If you don't have a weapon, how would you be killing people? Sure, you can get killed easily, but is it really that much of a hassle to just respawn? You haven't really lost anything, because you don't have a weapon...

However, I will say that I am looking forward to Rocket revisiting the "bandit" system, or whatever iteration he releases. He's said there'll be more emphasis on team play, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Well every new player needs guidance of some sort. And different people have different ways of looking for that; some in game as it's a multiplayer game, and some, like me, through video tutorials to get me in with the basics of the game.

I agree but I don't think global chat is the way to do it. I loved my first experience in Day Z, not knowing what the hell was going on and then figuring it out. I think that's what lures people into the game.

Also on one of my first outings i found a guy who was really helpful and explained some of the basics to me, he even gave me some gear. Maybe I was lucky but it's these random encounters that make this game unique.

Edited by Fraggle

I agree but I don't think global chat is the way to do it. I loved my first experience in Day Z, not knowing what the hell was going on and then figuring it out. I think that's what lures people into the game.

Well, frankly, for me, it was using global chat to ask how to equip my torch because I had joined a server at nightime. Without that, I probably might have quit there and then.

Of course, after that, came the actual exploring, and much dying due to lack of starting with a weapon and the marathon running zombies.

Maybe for now a simple impass can be achieved by making the Global chat toggleable, then introduce a new item such as a radio later on down the track. The game is in alpha after all.

Edited by spiney

I'm pretty sure the statistics indicate otherwise, what is it, 80% of all deaths roughly are non-PvP related? Can find that spreadsheet in the first few pages of this forum I'm sure.

The statistics aren't very useful due to the amount of things it misses out.

How do you know that 80% of those deaths weren't by people playing on a 1/40 server so that the only things that could kill them were bugs or zombies? Its like a recent iPad survey I saw, there was only a 40% interest in the iPad mini where someone would willingly buy one when it came out, howeveri t was later found 80% of the survey already owned an iPad..." Just one of many ways to realise how bad looking at some unclear statistics are.

You also have no idea out of those 80% did any of them actual encounter another player? Its obviously clear zombies vastly out number humans normally 20:1 but in some cases I've had 100:1 on the NWA In my current character life I have only encountered 3 other plays (and 2 friends) those 3 players I have immediately shot and killed and thus I have a 100% KOS. Though my 3 kills will no doubt be dwarfed by the amount of times those players died due to zombies.

Edited by Mastiff

Well, frankly, for me, it was using global chat to ask how to equip my torch because I had joined a server at nightime. Without that, I probably might have quit there and then.

Of course, after that, came the actual exploring, and much dying due to lack of starting with a weapon and the marathon running zombies.

Maybe for now a simple impass can be achieved by making the Global chat toggleable, then introduce a new item such as a radio later on down the track. The game is in alpha after all.

It's a fair point but I still think there's more fun to be had for a noob by having to find someone to help them. That's what I did. It was tricky but it worked, got some gear of a nice fella too. I like that this game doesn't hold your hand like every other game out there.

Most people will have been pointed towards this game via threads on gaming sites and so on and will probably be aware of the darkness thing. Almost every initial article I read mentions how dark it is at night and how steep the learning curve is.