smokeymccallum@yahoo.co.uk

No starting weapon or global chat encourage player killing too much?

Starting weapons are out and hopefully never coming back. It takes 10 min tops to find a weapon when you know what you're doing, and other players tend to NOT shoot you if you're unarmed. If everyone had a sidearm and 1 clip, it would turn to a deathmatch pretty quick just to get the spare ammo. No reason to kill a new spawn now if you find one running at the beach.

Regarding global chat, go to Dallas 3. It's enabled there. I often hop on there for a bit to get a "feel" of the server's community. After hearing some voices and topics though, I always switch to another server. It has pros and cons. But try it out and then think what i would be like to happen in all servers. I guarantee you wouldn't like that.

Cheers,

Lupine

Edited by LupineWolf

And there will be via radios. We just have to be patient and wait.

So why not leave server chat on until the radios are released? Won't immersion be broken when suddenly every tom, dick and harry are screaming down the radios and you get spammed with messages from people trolling you? Or do you expect a turn on/off feature on your radio? Oh... why don't they do that with global chat?

Just make the side chat server optionable. Is this so hard to came up with?

Exactly, though its because some people claim it is immersion breaking but are then happy to play on constant day light servers, unrealistically see their own blood pressure... and much much more. Some 'bandits' not all, but some got upset because it was being used as an intel channel to warn others.

It takes 10 min tops to find a weapon when you know what you're doing, and other players tend to NOT shoot you if you're unarmed.

I would say that is fair to say, though 20 minutes would be more accurate for and experienced player and a convenient spawn place, a lot of spawns are some distance away from a deer stand or a high value barn. Given the nature of loot spawns you do have to hit quite a few buildings before you find one.

The second point... I'm going to call bullshit, I see people killing each other for the sake of it. Too far away to communicate with and thus no way of ID'ing them as a thread.... thus they get spanked instantly.

Edited by Mastiff

How can you be friendly with someone you randomly run into without chat?

Ummm.. Direct chat? Ever heard of that? Why would you need global chat, if you want to be friends with random encounters..?

Ummm.. Direct chat? Ever heard of that? Why would you need global chat, if you want to be friends with random encounters..?

Global chat allows you to speak to someone from a further distance, with direct chat you need to get reasonably close and thus becomes very dangerous when trying to approach someone you don't know.

Edited by Mastiff

I'm pretty sure that people already use private servers. Any progress they make on that server is not saved. I'm not against that but I do think it defeats the object of the game. It's supposed to be dangerous, it's supposed to be tense and stressfull. If you want to lock down your own server so that you can skip through the fields high-fiving your family and friends then you should try another MOD. I'm not saying this to be an argumentative twat BTW. There's hundreds of other mods available to you now you have Arma installed.

What makes DayZ unique is the persistent server system and the perma death. Changing these attributes by having your own playground breaks the concept entirely.

Don't get me wrong, I love the concept of everyone playing on "hardcore" characters. I agree with you in that not having the option to play in any sort of "softcore" mode is what makes this game intense and addicting. However, I don't agree with you though that private servers would be high-fives and laughter 24/7. You need to understand that my family and friends are bastards and would pull the trigger on me faster than a random encounter!! The only difference in having a more permanent player base on a per server basis is that later, we could laugh about it over a beer or curse each other out and start up an awesome rivalry. Just because I know the other person IRL or as an online gaming buddy, doesn't mean we are always working together. It just means we tend to communicate more - be it trash talk or cooperation. As "persistent" as this world is, it doesn't feel like it is as I never see the same player twice. Even if I did, I wouldn't know it as everyone looks the same and player-tags are (rightfully so!) off. You could argue though that that is by intention as I guess you wouldn't expect to ever see the guy you killed again. But this is a game and there is a fine line between realism and fun, and sometimes I'd rather sacrifice a little realism for a lot more fun. Fun is, after all, what makes me coming back. Not the realism.

That fix also breaks the core concept of the game.

A lot of people seem to use that term: "core concept." I don't want to be a dick here or anything but what exactly is the core concept of an open world sandbox? I wasn't aware there were any goals or objectives besides what you and other around you make of it. Me and my buddies are having a blast at the moment playing how we want to, but that is not to say our play-style won't get stagnant and boring in time. I'd like more flexibility in how I'm allowed to play this game to extend my play times.

Oh please tell me more how server hopping and altf4ing is a core concept of the game.

It's not the devs fault when a player uses those kinds of exploits. That's just a shitty player. It's hard to account for those and they (both exploits and players who use said exploits) will always exist in every game, not just DayZ. Now that those exploits have been identified though, I would like to see counter measures for such behavior at stand-alone or dlc or whatever this mod turns into.

I am following the debate and I'd already replied to that post.

So I play for three hours on a server. Admin decides to close it. Now I have to wait for them to open it again or lose all of my progress? What if I want to join a friend on another server, again I can't without losing everything.

I agree with you sever hopping and DC'ing needs to be dealt with, just not by restricting you to one server.

That wouldn't be a problem though if the servers were hosted by BI or whoever decides to take on this mod. But again, that is outside of the scope of where this game is at this point. I just look forward to seeing how things play out, and I hope we can add DayZ on the list of successful mods like Counter-Strike and DOTA. I loved watching those two develop back in their respective days, and I would like to see the same for DayZ.

I'm not against a starter crowbar, its an incredibly weak weapon thats only good against zombies or afk people. Also yes to global chat, metagame won't stop because its gone, in fact it'll get worse.

The removal of global chat is really ruining this game for me.

When I started, it was a cooperative survival/horror game... most survivors either worked together, or at least didn't go out of their way to hurt each other. There were player killers, true; but you could easily identify them at a glance. Sometimes one would not have "shown his true colors" yet, so you always had to be cautious when dealing with people, but for the most part, folks worked together. It wasn't at all uncommon for strangers to make runs to deliver morphine or blood to injured players.

Then, they made it so you couldn't tell who was a PK any more. Things changed a bit, but still, for the most part, a good dose of caution would serve you well, and most of the folks I encountered got along.

Then they took out global chat, and the entire game went to hell.

Since then, I haven't encountered anyone who didn't start shooting as soon as they saw me. It used to be you could make friends... hell, on the servers where I played, I had half a dozen different folks that I would group with... but now, since you can't talk to anyone, you can't trust anyone. I don't even know if direct comms works again yet... no one has ever tried to talk to me. When we meet, they just start shooting... and I'm leaving my 5.1 speakers plugged in instead of using my headset. Surround sound is just too useful in this kind of game... even if I tried to talk to anyone, who knows if they'd do anything other than start shooting.

You can't even see what someone's name is on most servers... for all I know, my old friends may have killed me without ever knowing who I was.

Basically, the game has turned into a giant deathmatch, where the only objective is to kill other players. I don't play deathmatches, because I think they're lame. I like team games... back in the days of Duke Nukem 3d, I had to play deathmatches because that was the only option... but once WinQuake came along, and then GLQuake, I've always gone to team servers instead of deathmatches. If they're your thing, fine, more power to you. They're not for me.

I'm not talking about global voice chat, mind you... that needs to stay out. But the inability to communicate at all with anyone just really brings the whole thing down.

"Oh, but it breaks immersion!"

Really? What, sitting in front of your computer doesn't remind you that you're playing a game, but being able to communicate with other players does? Seriously?

"Just play with friends!"

How? I can't communicate with anyone! While I have friends who play, none of them are on my schedule... I'm a police officer, and I work 11pm to 7am, and on my days off, I stay up all night, too, to avoid screwing up my sleep patterns. I don't have any friends who want to play around three am...

“Play on server with teamspeak!”

I’ve yet to discover a way to determine whether a server has it available or not before I log in. Kindly provide a list of servers where its daylight during the hours I play, that have it enabled. Thanks!

From what some people have told me, the servers I played on (mainly Australian/New Zealand, and European, since local servers are dark when I'm on) may have been different and that the US servers have always been kill on sight. If that’s true, that’s kind of a sad commentary on the American gaming community; but on the servers I frequent, that was never the case… until global chat went away…

• Like 2

I'm not making this up but I've just been walking around electro, looting. I met two people individually, we teamed up, swapped ammo bloodbags and so on and generally had a great time looting, covering each others backs.

One of us did get shot in the end though.

P>S - it was a pitch black night server.

Edited by Fraggle

You can still talk to people on Direct Comm, both voice and text. What's wrong with that? I've met 50/50 nice people/pkers this way.

The removal of global chat is really ruining this game for me.

When I started, it was a cooperative survival/horror game... most survivors either worked together, or at least didn't go out of their way to hurt each other. There were player killers, true; but you could easily identify them at a glance. Sometimes one would not have "shown his true colors" yet, so you always had to be cautious when dealing with people, but for the most part, folks worked together. It wasn't at all uncommon for strangers to make runs to deliver morphine or blood to injured players.

Then, they made it so you couldn't tell who was a PK any more. Things changed a bit, but still, for the most part, a good dose of caution would serve you well, and most of the folks I encountered got along.

Then they took out global chat, and the entire game went to hell.

Since then, I haven't encountered anyone who didn't start shooting as soon as they saw me. It used to be you could make friends... hell, on the servers where I played, I had half a dozen different folks that I would group with... but now, since you can't talk to anyone, you can't trust anyone. I don't even know if direct comms works again yet... no one has ever tried to talk to me. When we meet, they just start shooting... and I'm leaving my 5.1 speakers plugged in instead of using my headset. Surround sound is just too useful in this kind of game... even if I tried to talk to anyone, who knows if they'd do anything other than start shooting.

You can't even see what someone's name is on most servers... for all I know, my old friends may have killed me without ever knowing who I was.

Basically, the game has turned into a giant deathmatch, where the only objective is to kill other players. I don't play deathmatches, because I think they're lame. I like team games... back in the days of Duke Nukem 3d, I had to play deathmatches because that was the only option... but once WinQuake came along, and then GLQuake, I've always gone to team servers instead of deathmatches. If they're your thing, fine, more power to you. They're not for me.

I'm not talking about global voice chat, mind you... that needs to stay out. But the inability to communicate at all with anyone just really brings the whole thing down.

"Oh, but it breaks immersion!"

Really? What, sitting in front of your computer doesn't remind you that you're playing a game, but being able to communicate with other players does? Seriously?

"Just play with friends!"

How? I can't communicate with anyone! While I have friends who play, none of them are on my schedule... I'm a police officer, and I work 11pm to 7am, and on my days off, I stay up all night, too, to avoid screwing up my sleep patterns. I don't have any friends who want to play around three am...

“Play on server with teamspeak!”

I’ve yet to discover a way to determine whether a server has it available or not before I log in. Kindly provide a list of servers where its daylight during the hours I play, that have it enabled. Thanks!

From what some people have told me, the servers I played on (mainly Australian/New Zealand, and European, since local servers are dark when I'm on) may have been different and that the US servers have always been kill on sight. If that’s true, that’s kind of a sad commentary on the American gaming community; but on the servers I frequent, that was never the case… until global chat went away…

You can still talk to people on Direct Comm, both voice and text. What's wrong with that? I've met 50/50 nice people/pkers this way.

What's wrong with it is the fact that since global chat went away, I haven't encountered anyone who didn't start shooting the second they saw me. I'm fairly certain I mentioned that... it was pretty much the point of my post...

Having short range comms does no good if anyone you stumble across at short range starts trying to kill you...

Edited by Akin

Rocket removed starting weapons from the game to try bring people together at the start. The problem is the games pretty shallow and once you've played for a while getting gear is easy so hunting other players is the only thing left todo.

PVP is no more common now than it was with global chat. Bandits are always gunna bandit and normal survivors can't trust each other any more or less than before. This is of course assuming you aren't stupid enough to believe what you read in global chat. Remember what your parents taught you, don't trust strangers. Especially ones with a gun.

Starting without a gun has no effect either. You must be pretty bad at stealth if you find this a problem. If you go running around Cherno or Elektro its your own fault if people start shooting at you.

No it doesn't. I don't think it should be a server option either, we have enough of those already. The walkie talkie idea sounds interesting in theory. The reality is everybody would have walkie talkies so they may as well just have global chat. I don't think they will implement the walkie talkies.

PVP is no more common now than it was with global chat. Bandits are always gunna bandit and normal survivors can't trust each other any more or less than before. This is of course assuming you aren't stupid enough to believe what you read in global chat. Remember what your parents taught you, don't trust strangers. Especially ones with a gun.

Starting without a gun has no effect either. You must be pretty bad at stealth if you find this a problem. If you go running around Cherno or Elektro its your own fault if people start shooting at you.

Thats a load of crap mate. As many posters on here have already said, no global chat has killed in game team play with strangers.

It has nothing to do with how stealthy you are.

Since global chat has gone I haven't ran into anybody who hasn't started shooting on sight. I shoot on sight every time now because if I don't, I know the other player will get the first shot and I'm not risking that.

I'm guessing you have a gang you travel with and use a 3rd party program to communicate with them. Therefore you have no interest in teaming up with anybody anyway. Either that or you kill on sight anyway.

Edited by Smokey McCallum

Thats a load of crap mate. As many posters on here have already said, no global chat has killed in game team play with strangers.

It has nothing to do with how stealthy you are.

Since global chat has gone I haven't ran into anybody who hasn't started shooting on sight. I shoot on sight every time now because if I don't, I know the other player will get the first shot and I'm not risking that.

I'm guessing you have a gang you travel with and use a 3rd party program to communicate with them. Therefore you have no interest in teaming up with anybody anyway. Either that or you kill on sight anyway.

Your doing something wrong then because I'm always meeting and teaming up with strangers, even if it's briefly. Have you thought about changing your approach?

Your experiences in the game have been dramatically different than mine.

And, tossing out insults at people you’re allegedly having a conversation with? Blaming the victim for a problem these forums, and every other forum that discusses this game that I’ve seen, almost universally agree came about after global chat was removed? Not the best method of getting your point across…

Your doing something wrong then because I'm always meeting and teaming up with strangers, even if it's briefly. Have you thought about changing your approach?

Well, my approach is “Oh, there’s someone over there, I wonder if he’s D’OH!! He’s shooting at me!”

Not quite sure how I can change that…

to people that miss global chat: i recently started playing on a server with global chat on, and the gameplay is so much better imo. i suggest you go find a server with it enabled, there are some out there.

Bah, even if you get chat, I don't think it's going to help at all. Once, I started fresh, got killed by a sniper, and I met this guy, who started armless as well.

We agreed to team up over voice chat and proceeded to get some supplies. I decided to be friendly all the way, so, even when I got a weapon, and he was still armless, I didn't even think to kill him once. So, we played for a good 45-60 minutes, we even went to Elktro to transfuse some blood since I got attacked by zombies.

Once we got out of Elektro, he found himself a weapon at last. As soon as he got his weapon, BANG! I was gone... I didn't even say anything, I was just down on the ground and in complete shock (in real life...) Was I mad? At me, yes! I was foolish enough to trust him! Did I dislike what just happened? Man, every minute of it... the first time I've felt that way in a game! Do I want this to be removed or damped or structured with some rules (bandit vs survivor)? HELL NO!

This is what drive this game right now. Communication is key. The only thing I would add, is the ability to chat a bit further away (as if you would yell) so you could see someone and try to see if you can trust him (by voice, not chat). Global chat is just noise. Bad noise. And it's about knowing even more what's going on globaly, which I don't want because it messes up immersion. I don't know what's going on in the Airfield if I'm in Berezino. I don't know if some crew have all the vehicules and is going on a rampage. There is no communication line either and that's good. When I'm in the deep wood, I don't want to know someone got killed in a town nearby, I want to get there and get killed because I didn't spot before.

Yep, less noise, more in-game event!