roybrown

DayZ Inventory Redesign

I really like the look of this, youve done a nice job. I espiecially like the idea of having the hatchet as a secondary weapon, so one can swap to it by scrolling to easily deal with any zombie threats silently. I don't think this damages any realism, because if the hatchet is on your back, then its not unreasonable to think you can easily grab it and use it as a weapon when needed.

I don't think you realise that it's not just as easy as drawing it.

I'm quite aware of how much work it takes.

Luckily I just finished my Degree in Interactive Entertainment and have basically spent my last two-three years studying game development in all aspects of the trade. Including making small games of my own, programming, modelling, animating, working with various engines from UDK to Unity and yes, making a bunch of menus for various games.

It would require a fair ton of programming to get this thing working, and I'm not even sure if the tools are available to the DayZ devs to even implement such a redesign, specifically the drop and drag mechanics.

EDITED* Not sure he was talking to me?

Edited by RoyBrown

That's nice of you to pigeon hole me.

I'm quite aware of how much work it takes.

Luckily I just finished my Degree in Interactive Entertainment and have basically spent my last two-three years studying game development in all aspects of the trade. Including making small games of my own, programming, modelling, animating, working with various engines from UDK to Unity and yes, making a bunch of menus for various games.

It would require a fair ton of programming to get this thing working, and I'm not even sure if the tools are available to the DayZ devs to even implement such a redesign, specifically the drop and drag mechanics.

I guess your just a glass half empty kind of guy eh?

I think the response that rankled you was meant for the person that asked if they could "download and overwrite"

This is great, I love the transparency aspect of the design as well, having to scroll and open up my alice bag is always a pain, and i often lose track of what gear is in which bag or what i actually have in my inventory lol :P

• Like 1

This is great, I love the transparency aspect of the design as well, having to scroll and open up my alice bag is always a pain, and i often lose track of what gear is in which bag or what i actually have in my inventory lol :P

Probably my biggest gripe with the current inventory aside from it's bugs is it's lack of space efficiency. The fact that I could fit the actual backpack and it's contents on the same page does my head in.

Nice going with the design, i salute you. But.. Sadly this wont happen, the Arma2 engine is pretty old and as DayZ shows it does not react very well to tinkering. Even if it does get added it probably wont be before Arma3 comes out, which is pretty soon. And if that game still has the same annoying inventory management then people will die (ingame).

I especially like the idea of having ammo that is currently loaded into the weapon appear in the bottom left of its frame.

FInally a very clever, very nice looking an well thought out design of the inventory! I want to see it in the game! you would give you all my :beans: :)

Nice picture.

Now create it as a mod and send it to the dayz team :)

Great design. I understand from Rocket's interviews etc. that he already has hopes of redesigning the inventory. Something like yours would be a really good move. You have my beanz!

Nice picture.

Now create it as a mod and send it to the dayz team :)

Man, I would love to, my only problem is time. I simply don't have it what with work and all.

I'm more than willing to work with anyone who is good in the Arma 2 engine and can get it up and running, I can give them final assets and do all the other dirty work.

Share the credits and what not.

to not let ppl have inventories like in rpgmmos were you can carry with you like 10 tipe of guns, 100 beans, 1000 ammo magazines ... etc there will be need to implement "weight" like in arma 2 with ACE. You just simply cant carry 100kg of equipment - maximum is 50Kg and then you will not be able to run more then 100m with 50kg on your back

but overal I liked how it looks

Great idea an improvement to the inventory system would help the game a lot.

Nice inventory design, it would not fit on small resolutions though.

Nice design indeed, but in the end, though, I want to see an inventory system more based on the actual physical attributes of your clothing and bags. So for example you could fit some guns, depending on their sizes, into some pockets of your alice-bag and you would actually have to rearrange your cans to fill up the physical space of your bag.

I honestly don't think it has to be overly complicated to implement such a system. It would be a sort of minigame when you open you back pack to move around the items and make them fit. Also weight being a factor, affecting your stamina and speed.

Big improvement on the current one for Arma2/Dayz.

However Im inclined to consider what can be taken out and done as diegetic interface

(compass or the map for example)

Far Cry 2 Did an amazing job of this from a UI point of view.

Some light reading:

http://devmag.org.za/2011/02/02/video-game-user-interface-design-diegesis-theory/"]http://devmag.org.za...iegesis-theory/

http://www.thewander...in-video-games/

Edited by moofactory
  • Like 2

Rocket has already said that he would like to do a complete re-write of the inventory code (doesnt mean he can or will during alpha but at least he is thinking about it).

Also, all items in a tent only take up one space, so in your example you would need to show a very small rifle icon which only takes up one slot.

One other suggestion would be to segregate the tent into 3 sections, similar to the other side of the inventory. Having the sections would remove the need to count weapons / tool belt items to see if you have reached the limit (currently putting an 11th weapon into a tent will make it disappear).

10 slots for weapons / tool belt items

53 slots for generic items

5 slots for backpacks

Of course in the end, All this UI change based on how arma 2 currently operates is a farce.

Anyone that's seen the New Inventory system for arma 3 will know what im talking about.

That and taking into account the weapon and gear customization functionality.

All the current issues with arma 2 Usability are probably addressed in arma 3.

Its probably more productive to forget everything you know about the current arma 2 Inventory UI and start from scratch.

With being very mindful of the new enhancements for arma 3 that will potentially impact on inventory.

Rocket is more likely to keep it in mind down the road if he takes notice.

As a UX/Web designer, im keen to take a crack at a new UI design myself..

but id focus on where it will end up rather than where it is right now.

Arma 3 Inventory UI functionality is a good place to start.

Still nothing wrong with coming up with New Arma 2 designs though.

It will still be around long after Arma 3 is here, Gets people talking too.

I don't think you can just implement it, seeing as it's a lot of hardcoding, and the inventory is pretty much taken straight out of the Arma engine. I believe that has been set, but that is my thoughts atleast.

I like the idea however, and i find it much more organized, than what we have now :)