roybrown

DayZ Inventory Redesign

Great redesign makes it so much easier to find items.

Very interesting, I like it. Though I think it has more to do with the wonky-ass ARMA engine than it does the DayZ mod. But hey, I like pictures!

• Like 1

Yeah, 100% I back Rocket and his team on this, I blame the bad inventory on Arma's design. The mod is just making the most of what it has.

I agree with most, but I disagree with the flashlight idea. It should still need to be equipped or make it not part of your starting gear. I don't want a permanent light button that there's no interaction with.

I love your design. It's clean, clear and easy to find.

Though I think that it's needed to have an arrow-based thing because of the engine.

Though I think ace mod did change the inventory somehow:

i think it would be awesome if the player could obtain webbing, that is a belt which one could mount the water bottles ammo packs etc, with extra slots, i get that there's a tool belt, but there's no animations/modelling...

Love this design! It will be great for new players who have no idea how to work it and end up dropping good items and stuff like that! Keep it up I hope rocket does something about the inventory or if it becomes a stand-alone game!

I agree with most, but I disagree with the flashlight idea. It should still need to be equipped or make it not part of your starting gear. I don't want a permanent light button that there's no interaction with.

Ok, so if I were to change something, what would if be?

With this system, the player would still need to scroll the mouse and equip the light, are you saying you want to have to right click the mouse and then select it, and it should be smaller on the menu?

The way I see the light, is that in future updates, the ability to up your gamma and brightness will be removed or heavily reduced, causing players to rely on the light a ton more, so therefore it makes sense to have it presented as a main item.

How can Improve what I have done so far?

Little problem: Where is the binoculars emplacement? Edit: Did you get rid of it for "equipment? That seems smart.

Seriously, I can't find any improvement right now.

Edited by Deuzerre
  • Like 1

Little problem: Where is the binoculars emplacement? Edit: Did you get rid of it for "equipment? That seems smart.

Yeah I did, simply because you never interact with it in the menu, simply press B to use it. You could make the same justification for the flashlight as a previous poster commented on, but I just feel with it's ability to be swapped with the military flashlight and likely future updates reducing the players ability to mess around with gamma and brightness settings, it will become a more crucial piece of inventory.

I'm happy to change the flashlights position based on feedback though.

UPDATE: Apparently there are already servers which restrict these values.

Edited by RoyBrown
  • Like 1

Its a nice design, but rocket and his team would have to change the Arma base that dayZ is built on, Something that would be incredibly expensive time consuming, With ArmA 3 around the corner I honestly can't see it being justifiable for dayZ at this time.

However, it wouldn't surprise me at all if this, or something similar is put into Arma3. :)

Kudos for an excellent design though.

I like this ++++

Except for the personal inventory, how come it is so small or is it scrollable left-right? Or is it small on purpose? Right now it is 12 I think?

Also I definitely like the fact that you could see your bag at all times, and the logo of the gear you're going through (tent). I've dropped quite a few items because I thought I was putting items in a tent/whatever.... :D

Its a nice design, but rocket and his team would have to change the Arma base that dayZ is built on, Something that would be incredibly expensive time consuming, With ArmA 3 around the corner I honestly can't see it being justifiable for dayZ at this time.

However, it wouldn't surprise me at all if this, or something similar is put into Arma3. :)

Kudos for an excellent design though.

It's still months away I don't think things should be overlooked because it's "around the corner". What happens to Arma 2 DayZ, will it just be dumped after that or...?

I'd also like to know if Arma3 is as badly optimized as its predecessor :D

I like this ++++

Except for the personal inventory, how come it is so small or is it scrollable left-right? Or is it small on purpose? Right now it is 12 I think?

Also I definitely like the fact that you could see your bag at all times, and the logo of the gear you're going through (tent). I've dropped quite a few items because I thought I was putting items in a tent/whatever.... :D

I think all thats happened here is you have read what I said in the OP a little too fast and missed some details.

Yes the personal inventory is only 12 slots, however you can place any object in your primary and secondary slots.

The segregation of the menu into primary secondary and personal inventory is simply to make the menu easier to read, and to help you organise your gear. This system also allows you to put bandages or blood bags or whatever you want, wherever you want. That last part probably should be in the OP, I might update it.

Thanks.

Edited by RoyBrown

I don't think you realise that it's not just as easy as drawing it.

I think all thats happened here is you have read what I said in the OP a little too fast and missed some details.

Yes the personal inventory is only 12 slots, however you can place any object in your primary and secondary slots.

The segregation of the menu into primary secondary and personal inventory is simply to make the menu easier to read, and to help you organise your gear. This system also allows you to put bandages or blood bags or whatever you want, wherever you want. That last part probably should be in the OP, I might update it.

Thanks.

You're right. I didn't take the ammo to account... ^^; Need more coffee.

Hopefully the dev team will take note of this, I'd like to see it implemented at some point

Good job it's very clear and organized. Loved it if Rocket will take ur design.