Sign in to follow this  
flawlesssoul

Faith, humanity - lost.

This honestly isn't any kind of rant - I took risks and paid the price. It's more about reactions to other players.

Having recently started playing with a friend, after he went for the night I decided I would head into cherno and grab some supplies before doing the same. I was decently kitted out, sporting an AKM and the M1911, and not lacking ammo.

After ransacking the supermarket, and as I started to crawl my way towards the sea, I was suddenly pinned by heavy rifle fire (a semi-auto). Unable to locate my attacker nearby, I attempted to get to the nearest cover as a dozen or so rounds hit the ground around me. I can only assume it was a sniper on a tower, as the only shot that hit me, killed me.

I was annoyed, at myself for not being more careful, but obviously at this bandit as well. As I started anew, I swore to myself that I'd shoot on sight from now on.

Having made my way to the southern airstrip outside Balota, I heard gunfire coming from the tower. Being extra (super duper) cautious, I made my way to the lower level as two others fought off zombies on the ground and upper levels. Climbing the inside of the tower, I picked up a hunting rifle and ammunition, and eventually came to the top level. There, a single person was watching as a final zombie lurched along the catwalk around the outside of the tower, to the door he'd just come through.

Apparently out of ammunition, he responded to my "friendly" with a warning about the zombie as it backed him into a corner. A single shot from me took care of the zombie, and I was thanked. I asked if the rifle I'd found was theirs, as I could hear the other person still below us in the tower. As the second person came up the stairs, their friend said "Don't shoot each other", and a single moment went past where I considered ignoring it and ending them both. As the moment ended, I turned back to the friend and got a bullet between my eyes.

I said before that I'd pull the trigger first, that I'd be a survivor and not a sucker, but my faith and humanity made me hesitate. I should have known the only reason the first didn't shoot is because of a lack of ammunition, not as a thankyou. I should thank them, however. Faith in others or humanity in yourself make you weaker than those who have discarded both.

Edited by Nimrod

yeah...

part breakdown in human society

part people are just playing this for kicks.

or maybe they really needed what you had (ammo) and decided it was worth murdering someone for.

I myself have become desensitsed to killing. I wont take potshots at players, but if i feel like myself or another member is in any jeopardy at all ill take shots

Good story, tends to happen! Sometimes you got to do what is right to save yourself as a survivor. If you kill someone without being fired upon with reason that you still felt threatened then you are still a Friendly in my book. At one point I was lurking in Cherno and someone sprinted right into my building and was staring at me with a Makarov PM. I repeated "friendly!" over and over on direct chat with no response... he just kept staring at me. After typing in direct chat as well to no avail I put a bullet in him. Staring me down with a weapon and no response after given more than enough time is reason enough for me. If you are not with me you're against me.

Keep at it my friend! Every death is just another notch in the belt.

lol if he came running into the shop i would ahve shot. its their responsability to avoid you and contact you first.

He sprinted by me, ran in and out of some rooms and then just looked at me... I was in such shock. Like did this guy just really go balls to the walls or what.

Okay. You made some big mistakes. Why were you crawling around Cherno? If you're not joking then you're playing much too cautiously. I wouldn't recommend ever doing that.

Going unarmed into a control tower occupied by two guys and a few zombies isn't being super-duper cautious. That's pretty much the opposite of cautious. You then rescue a guy rather than shooting him.

You do know when you turn around to look at someone you also point a gun at them? Sounds like he was protecting himself.

Maybe we need a "Lower your weapon friendly guy" rule.

Edited by Super67_

please guys, don't forget, for the most of us, this is a shooter, just that you don't spawn geared up in classes like in bf3 or cod and in rpg style.

its a realistic shooter with surviving aspects and no teams. your goal after spawning is to find maybe one or two friends.

how you make friends? search at the coast and near of it for other newly spawned, and team up.

try to imagine how super boring it would be if zombies are the only enemies.. i mean, everyone friendly? wow, there would be absolutely no challenge.

Ouch! I've only ran into a pair a friends, where I said "Friendly! Friendly!". Than one of them said "Okay, it's cool. I'm just showing my friend the ropes of DayZ." We went our own ways and continued from there. So I have yet to encounter a bad situation with bandits!

++ Always check roofs/top areas of buildings especially in "Cherno" since people will just camp up high, just to kill other players going by. Never trust players up upon buildings!

I hate it when I have to shoot somebody in this game but I cannot imagine playing it if there were no bandits around that is very true. I don't want to join the dark side.

For me being worried about other survivors, and their intentions is absolutely crucial for the game's immersion factor.

DayZ simply wouldn't be half as good as it is right now without bandits and people that try to ruin your dayz. And I mean "ruin" in a good and fair way. Not in a scum-baggy cheating sort of way.

I find joy when I am engaged in a good fight, and if I don't make it out alive I usually commend villain or acknowledge his good move. It is a game after all and all those things are in the game's spirit.

I think a big part of the problem is the abundance of weapons and ammo, i managed to college 6 mags for my M107 its just stupid

if the ammo and rifles are limited i feel people will think twice about killing some one just for kicks

• Like 1

However bad people act when society breaks down, don't lose faith. We do much much worse things while building it up :>

I think a big part of the problem is the abundance of weapons and ammo, i managed to college 6 mags for my M107 its just stupid

if the ammo and rifles are limited i feel people will think twice about killing some one just for kicks

What if the magazines had random amounts of ammo in them?

People would definitely think twice if they only had 3 rounds.

• Like 1

After watching episodes of "Doomsday Preppers" I've heard that ammo would become very scarce, so I'd say the amount of ammo n' guns is fare.

The problem isnt weapons or ammo. The problem is that human life in DayZ has no value, only items do. In a real scenario, you would'nt kill everybody because the next guy you meet could be a doctor, a mechanic, a carpenter or any other range of people you would need to survive. So until player / human life has value in DayZ, this conduct will continue.

• Like 2

well they would kill u for gear then..that wouldn´t change much

After watching a few episodes from "Doomsday Preppers", those people seem they would be the type that would kill on sight(kos), and maybe even kos if it wasn't armageddon.