JESUSARIUS REX (DayZ)

GUIDE Properly setting up your graphics for proper optimization.

First off, let me say that every system is different, and will require YOU to play around with settings. If you are having a lot of trouble, pm me, but don't message me unless you first try to fix it yourself. Also, I recommend you read the whole post first before doing anything.

Now first off, if your not, I recommend using ArmA II launcher: http://www.armaholic...age.php?id=8241 . It's a extremely easy to use launcher that allows you too load things up easily. There are tutorials of how to setup DayZ in this launcher, so look it up on the youtubes or gooogles. Here is a tutorial on how to set up Dayz with the launcher. I DID NOT MAKE THIS TUT AND TAKE NO CREDIT FOR IT. Watch from 6:00 on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib73cBf_-Ys

Now after you have it setup go to launch options. Make sure to click Run Beta, and set your CPU count to the maximum number of cores of your CPU.

Also, some good options to choose include:

No splash screen= to shorten loading time

select default profile= select the character you want to play dayz with

Default World: Chernarus= Shorting load times, as the map is already loaded rather than the OA default.

post-52651-0-99954300-1342325993_thumb.j

Now onto the part most people might not know.

Go to your documents, then arma 2.

You will see ArmA2OA.cfg

post-52651-0-13190300-1342326085_thumb.j

Open it up

You will see this stuffs

The stuff in red is the stuffs that matters!!!

post-52651-0-85084400-1342326163_thumb.j

Now i will explain everything and what is. However i will save FXAA, FSAA, and for last as they are kinda tricky. PostFX will be in the in game section.

Resolution:

Your Hud(maybe?) and interface resolution. This should be set to your monitors resolution if you play full screen. Goes in hand with Render

Render_W and Render_H:

THIS SHOULD MATCH YOUR MONITOR RESOLUTION IF YOU WANT YOUR GRAPHICS TO LOOK GOOD!(may or may not be possible dependent on pc specs) This is the resolution the 3D game world is rendered in.

GPU_MaxFramesAhead:

First of all I only know how to change this on Nvidia cards. First open up your control panel, go to manage 3D setting, then scroll down to prerendered frames option. Set this to its maximum amount. Then go to your .cfg file and type the number you set in the control panel into this setting. IE mine was four, others may have eight ETC.

VSync:

Vertical Sync, in a basic description, is a setting that limits your framer rate to 60 FPS in order to prevent screen tearing with cards running in SLI. KEEP THIS OFF UNLESS YOU GET SCREEN TEARING AS IT IS VERY RESOURCE INTENSIVE! ALSO TURN IT OFF IN YOUR NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL!

AToC:

Level of Alpha To Coverage Anti-Aliasing. This setting basically effects the Anti-Aliasing of your trees and grass. For best performance, set this to 0, although this can give your grass and trees a silvery look. I prefer mine on 5 so the setting only works on the trees and grass of Chernarus. The wiki cna help you with this setting: http://community.bis.../wiki/arma2.cfg

FXAA and FSAA:

This is the main Anti-Aliasing(AA) setting in ArmA II.

FXAA:

This is where a Nvidia card can Shine. Basically, FXAA is AA that takes very little memory in comparison to the AA setting in ArmA. I actually have my AA disabled in the ArmA settings, and have FXAA set to 2 in the config. Make Sure to Set this to ON in the control panel. If you don't have this, try updating your drivers. FXAA is Available to Nvidia cards only!

FSAA:

This is the AA setting you see when you open the graphics menu in game. ONLY SET THIS TO LOW(1 in config) OR NORMAL(2 in config) AS ANY HIGHER SETTING USES MORE RESCOURCES WITH NOW VISUAL DIFFERENCE.

PPAA:

Just Set these at Zero.

My Nvidia Settings:

post-52651-0-54668200-1342320509_thumb.j

post-52651-0-22475000-1342320510_thumb.j

In Game Settings:

Now i color coded this

SET UP RED SETTINGS FIRST

THEN TROUBLE SHOOT THE GREEN SETTINGS. THESE WILL CHANGE BASED ON YOUR HARDWARE!

LAST SET THE BLUE. ALSO VERY HARDWARE DEPENDENT!

ORANGE CAN BE DONE AT ANY TIME. MAKE THEM THE SAME AS MINE.

post-52651-0-62462500-1342326291_thumb.j

Better Version incase you cant see this one: http://dl.dropbox.co...34/settings.bmp

PostFX:

Post proccesing effects.

This can help choose the settings for you:

Disabled: color corrections only

Very Low: Disabled + filmGrain + radial blur + dynamic blur

Low: Very low + bloom + rotational blur + other scripted post process effects

Normal: Low + DOF + lowest SSAO

High: Normal + medium SSAO

VeryHigh: Normal + highest SSAO

Also, disabled - low primarily allows you to customize game appearance, Normal - Very High is heavily affecting performance but SSAO quality is the only difference.

****From the Bohemia CEO

My PC specs:

CPU: 2.8 GHZ Core 2 Duo

RAM:6GB DDR2

GPU: Nvidia GTX 550 TI

MOBO: SH*TTY ASS FOXCON DELL OEM THATS BAD FOR GAMING BUT OWELL

Example of my graphics:

Hope i could some people out!

~JESUS

Edited by JESUSARIUS REX
  • Like 9

Too tired to read all of this now, but I'm always looking for more ways to boost performance on my laptop.

Will look over it again tomorrow to see if there's anything I haven't already tried.

I think most fps problems are serverside issues, i tryed modifing everything, and i didnt get any noticeable results. And i dont understand why i need a super new pc, to play a 3 years old game (released may 2009). I bought this game just for day z, after trying the arma 2 free, it worked great whit very high settings, so then i bought CO.

And now, whit day z running i barely get 20 fps. I mean i dont have a new gaming pc, but i shouldn't need it for an old game. This is not COD 3, or Max payne 3, it's a mod based in a 3 year old game. Understand this people, before recommend me new hardware, i'm able to play NEW games in normal/high quality whitout any issues.

I think most fps problems are serverside issues, i tryed modifing everything, and i didnt get any noticeable results. And i dont understand why i need a super new pc, to play a 3 years old game (released may 2009). I bought this game just for day z, after trying the arma 2 free, it worked great whit very high settings, so then i bought CO.

And now, whit day z running i barely get 20 fps. I mean i dont have a new gaming pc, but i shouldn't need it for an old game. This is not COD 3, or Max payne 3, it's a mod based in a 3 year old game. Understand this people, before recommend me new hardware, i'm able to play NEW games in normal/high quality whitout any issues.

ya i was in the same boat as you. i was only able to play on normal, but i did the stuff i mentioned up here and now i play with settings on high. also operation arrowhead is more resources intensive than regular arma, because a lot of features were added. you can also turn your sound quality down to 16(the quality in arma II free).

ya i was in the same boat as you. i was only able to play on normal, but i did the stuff i mentioned up here and now i play with settings on high. also operation arrowhead is more resources intensive than regular arma, because a lot of features were added. you can also turn your sound quality down to 16(the quality in arma II free).

For me works better Vsync On, i know it's not logical, but is how this game actually works for me. Also high shadows it's the only way to activate your gpu it seems.

I insist, this mod is poorly optimized, actually (It's an alpha, you know, but im still praying they focus on keep improving performance instead of fixing ghillies and camo suits...) And that poorly optimization is somewhat fixed whit crazy hardcore cpus and gpus, that didn't even exist 3 years ago.

• Like 1

For me works better Vsync On, i know it's not logical, but is how this game actually works for me. Also high shadows it's the only way to activate your gpu it seems.

I insist, this mod is poorly optimized, actually (It's an alpha, you know, but im still praying they focus on keep improving performance instead of fixing ghillies and camo suits...) And that poorly optimization is somewhat fixed whit crazy hardcore cpus and gpus, that didn't even exist 3 years ago.

its not really the mod, its the engine of ArmA 2. it is somewhat poorly optimized, but mostly you just need to know what to set up IE. HDR on high uses more memory yet does nothing visually.

Bookmarked*

Thanks a lot, I have changed a few things already!

your very welcome sir!

Is there a way for it to be played in a Windowed Borderless mode?

Is there a way for it to be played in a Windowed Borderless mode?

Not 100% sure what you mean? Could you elaborate more. Do you mean a standard window or like literally no edges around the game but its in a window?

Where do i download the launcher? Can't find any download link in the link you provided :S

I really want to try your tips to help with my FPS issues but cannot find a tutorial on how to set up arma 2 launcher anywhere.

Could you possibly provide a link?

I got the same thing. I cannot find a guide how to get the launcher working with Dayz :/

FYI guys my thread is broken somehow all the text from the last half of the post was deleted.

Where do i download the launcher? Can't find any download link in the link you provided :S

its there its just really small ill post a screenie in a few minutes

I really want to try your tips to help with my FPS issues but cannot find a tutorial on how to set up arma 2 launcher anywhere.

Could you possibly provide a link?

I got the same thing. I cannot find a guide how to get the launcher working with Dayz :/

ill search just gimme a little bit cuz i gotta fix mah thread.

Edit: Video for launcher up.

Edited by JESUSARIUS REX

Not 100% sure what you mean? Could you elaborate more. Do you mean a standard window or like literally no edges around the game but its in a window?

Sorry, what I mean is so that it looks as though it's fullscreen but really it's just windowed without the borders.

Already knew this, but what makes me lawl is that with high shadows my FPS increases by about three to five as opposed to normal shadows.

Already knew this, but what makes me lawl is that with high shadows my FPS increases by about three to five as opposed to normal shadows.

Thats because the proccesing of shadows switches from your CPU to your GPU. Derpy isn't it?

Sorry, what I mean is so that it looks as though it's fullscreen but really it's just windowed without the borders.

As of now, no, sorry. Maybe in ArmA III lol.

Edited by JESUSARIUS REX

Im having a different problem evrytime i run the game it's black and white with splotches every where it's really laggy and weird help!!

Im having a different problem evrytime i run the game it's black and white with splotches every where it's really laggy and weird help!!

If your menu is not blotchy, only the game, that means its night time. The reason it looks weird is because arma night isnt simulated lighting, rather just filters. Also try turning down your graphics if its really laggy.

Thanks a lot !!

I've been looking for a way to reduce the loading time since it's such a hassle !

I've followed all the instructions, did everything you explained and made a few adjustments of my own since I'm using an ATI Radeon card instead of NVidia.

Been busy with this for about 30-45 minutes now.

Started ArmA 2 CO with the launcher and checked all the correct boxes.

Here is a list of the changes I've noticed;

Pro's:

- My game runs much smoother.

- No more ' Mouse Lag '

- Total time of joining a server from the second you hit 'Join' in the server select to the second you actually get to play as your char; 34 Seconds.

- Steady FPS of 58-60 (Previous was clunky 45 with mouse lag)

- More mobility, no clunky movement !!

Con's:

- The Startup of ArmA 2 CO itself takes 5 seconds longer..

Thanks a million !!

May there be questions regarding my gaming rig or the settings I've used... I'll be watching this thread for a while !

~Regards

Edited by ExtinctSquirrel

Going to try this tomorrow. Hopefully my bullshit 25 fps gets boosted to atleast 30. The forests really kill me. Whenever I look at one I go from 25 to 15.