Sign in to follow this  
-Cdn-Chard

47 Day old wanting to upgrade from the stable 1.7.1.5 to the new 1.7.2.3.. Some questions

I'll try to answer:

1. Will my character die? What are the chances? Is there something that I could do to try and not sacrifice him to the merciliess god of upgrades?

In short, I just upgraded my Steam-version from 1.7.1.5 to 1.7.2.3 without issues. Don't play on unknown, dubious servers. Make sure they have the latest HIVE. Use Beta 94876. Don't fiddle around with Battleye, it will update itself.

And you might very well spawn at the beach with a new character, both me and my brother did. Just RESPAWN and you should get the old one back. Sounds weird, but it worked for both of us and Rocket suggested it on Twitter as well. Only thing I lost was the day-count, which is unfortunate for you maybe but it can't be fixed iirc.

2. Do standard weapons come across? I know the L85A2 AWS is disabled.. (good thing too), but will other rifles like my DMR come across

Yes, my AS50 and all other items were fine, and I found a L85a2 AWS NV/thermal right away at a heli crash so it is NOT disabled.

3. Ghillies are fubar... Are camo skins also messed up...

Yes, the skin change mechanic is buggy. Dont use them just yet.

4 Does the sun ever shine in Chernarus of 1.7.2.3?

Yes. It is beautiful. Especially with thermal sights.

Edited by Flatline
  • Like 2

In this thread:

HAHA OP YOU ARE MISSING OUT ON SO MUCH BY SURVIVING

YOU SHOULD COME TO CHERNO AND SNIPE NOOBS AND BE SNIPED

MISSING OUT ON THE POINT OF ALPHA BRAHHHHHH

Keep doing what you're doing, OP, and let the BF3 kids do what they do. They'll get bored eventually and I doubt even half of them have bothered providing bugreports.

Also I had no issues updating versions.

Edited by Lincolnshire Poacher
  • Like 1

And you might very well spawn at the beach with a new character, both me and my brother did. Just RESPAWN and you should get the old one back. Sounds weird, but it worked for both of us and Rocket suggested it on Twitter as well. Only thing I lost was the day-count, which is unfortunate for you maybe but it can't be fixed iirc.

Seriously???

I saw this from the Day Z Development Team "For those who "lost" their character, we just transferred 41177 characters over to the new ID system. Will load when current character dies"

but...seriously. That's an "I open at the close" kind of leap of faith...

Oh and for all the guys backing me up, thanks... Not everyone want to snipe noobs or farm the NW Airfield... On a lighter side, I was hoping to test the century day count, ensuring that DayZ didn't come to a millenium bug type of crash as the life counter moves to three digits.

Hi Chard. My clanmates and I updated on our server (US 188) yesterday from 1.7.1.5 to 1.7.2.3 yesterday with no problems. We didn't lose any weapons and no one died.

If you're happy with the old version, then I suppose there's no reason to update (as long as you still have servers to play on). But if you want to take the plunge, I think you'll be safe. Just be sure to grab the latest beta patch, too.

I played for 7 hours last night and did not notice any bugs. Zombies seem to have a better line of sight, though.

And good luck with your character! That's a great record.

Edited by andb52

Hey Chard.

I updated from 1.7.1.5 to 1.7.2.3 as well with no problems. I have beta 94876. L85 is still in there. Skins seem bugged at the moment though.

Hope that helps you out.

Edited by ED-E

Oh, ok... Now I understand... I don't know the exact number of hours I've played, although I can bet my wife has kept careful track. I can say that almost every one of those days involved at least three and often as many as 6-8 hours of playing (on weekends). That'd be 150 hours minimum I think. Is there somewhere I can find a stat?? But as I said, I often take 1/2 hour to crawl across a zombie filled field because I don't have a silenced weapon. I enjoy looting around zombies and players rather than blasting through them, especially as I usually play solo and running & gunning is a sure ticket to the Chernarus Beach - Day 0.

That is actually very impressive in that case!

Unless you are consistently using Steam (and the standard shortcut from Steam) I don't think there is any way of knowing the amount of hours played. Lucky/unlucky me I used a few different ways of launching the game since I started, lately using DayZ Commander which launches the game via the standard shortcut in Steam and therefore recording my hours. Not sure I wanna know how much I really played :P FML.

I understand your playstyle. Personally, I'm stealthing around the world looking for tents and vehicles to loot (not being an ass while doing it - I only take what I need, usually trading what I have for what I want from their tent, but I guess if I find a vehicle and then a tent, I might just take all I can fit in the vehicle). I wish I could call myself a pirate, but I guess that requires actually approaching other players and looting them then and there.. I'd also need a vehicle. I guess I'm just a looter. The cool-factor is just not there in calling yourself a "looter", or worse, a burgler.. I keep associating "looters" with those jerks raiding the digital stores during lesser catastrophes IRL. Oops, getting sidetracked. That's my ADD kicking in.

I guess I just grow impatient and understimulated after running around the map a couple of times, at which point I should just go back to RL for a while, but I just keep on playing and eventually killing myself by being reckless.

Usual shit different thread.

People screaming Alpha at every question and only a handful of people answering. (thanks to you, the reports of new patch are helpful indeed) I too am in same situation as OP waiting to move up from .5, and wanting to know what to expect.

I find it funny you alpha screamers make out you purely play for bugtesting and are completely fine loosing hours of progress, I am going to call %90 of you out as downright liars.

Yes it's alpha, yes we can help by reporting bugs as we find them, but the reality is it's a game, and you play it to enjoy. Some of you seem to forget that, or at least wont admit it.

So far so good... although loading took a lot longer than usual. Running 1.7.2.3 using 94876.. Logged into andb52's US188.

Thanks all.... And for the trolls, when you get bad feeling you're being watched, when you're sure that someone's got their crosshairs on you... Relax, I'm just on safari!!!

arma2oa2012-07-1421-50-28-93.jpg

Edited by -Cdn-Chard

Someone needs to learn what an alpha and beta test are all about...

Your amazing record will be wiped before release so I suggest having more fun and being less of a survivalist.

The whole point of DayZ is for players to play however they want, THEIR way. If someone chooses to play as a survivalist and rarely encounters other players and goes at it slowly that is great. If you choose to be in the hot zones and run'n'gun or whatever else you think is "fun" then by all means do that. Your way is no better and no more fun to someone else.

Nobody should judge someone elses play style. DayZ is meant for ALL styles to work because of the nature of the large and open landscape and free gameplay.

• Like 1

"47-Days old and doing nothing to help test.

Tell me when the testing is over so I can come play!"

Ridiculous.

By the way the L85 is coming back (good thing, too).

Everybody already knows about those problems. Why should yet another character get sacraficed into the realm of already known?

I'll help you out here OP and say the issue is still here. Do not patch the day one comes out. Wait until there is enough information out about it and the major bugs that immediately show up (due to a lack of testing the patch yourself) like logging in to your death have been found and CLEARED.

Stay in 1.7.1.5 if you like your character. If you don't care about your character and are okay with a random death for no reason then go ahead and upgrade and join in the giant game of Russian Roulette going here. I hope you don't get one of those unfortunate bug deaths.

Edited by I am a Failure (Destry)

To the OP, nice work in surviving this long, take a lot of time and patience to get where you are. For those saying he is not testing, balls! He is taking part by playing the game his way and in his style. Staying alive for 48 days he has clearly done more testing than some. He might of found a bug that when you get to day 40 your character's wiped.

Every day this forum gets filled with more and more self-righteous buffoons.

OT, I have taken the plunge myself and I can say I haven't lost any items or my character. The switch for me was pretty painless.

Hope this helps and keep up the good work. =]

Have a tin of beans. :beans:

Just reading this I can see how people's negetive perceptions let them see this as a troll/praise seeking post.

Really though calm down chaps, pip pip.

Anyhow I can tell you some things but wether they exist still or not I am not 100% sure.

Ghilli Suits cause you to die/spawn in ocean/or lose all items (save for backpack items). That happened to me last week.

The Zombie aggro is a bit odd at the moment I have noticed. Sometimes they seem to now aggro from very very far away and chase. Shooting however has not led 90% of any zombies even a few meters away to attack (not with a super quiet gun either).

I also have noticed a weird zombie spawning glitch where if there are none around when you come to a building it tries to spawn them but it doesnt work right and they are only a few meters away from you but not actually there. It can startle.

L85 AWS is in the game atm fyi

I see ppl saying it isn't or that it's coming back, but friends found 1 yesteray on a heli crash

I died. Decided to play respawn wars in Cherno. Boring deathmatch game. Went back to trying to live and caring. Getting back to the point where combat makes my hand twitch and the sound of gunfire makes me paranoid and nervous.

Oh, ok... Now I understand... I don't know the exact number of hours I've played, although I can bet my wife has kept careful track. I can say that almost every one of those days involved at least three and often as many as 6-8 hours of playing (on weekends). That'd be 150 hours minimum I think. Is there somewhere I can find a stat?? But as I said, I often take 1/2 hour to crawl across a zombie filled field because I don't have a silenced weapon. I enjoy looting around zombies and players rather than blasting through them, especially as I usually play solo and running & gunning is a sure ticket to the Chernarus Beach - Day 0.

If you only play on one server and you haven't died on that server gametraker keeps a track of your online game hours.

Otherwise no there is no way that i know of atm but I hope the dev team fixes the days alive to show your true playing time in game as the days alive. rather than how long it is since you created your char

Edited by BL1P

Living for 46 days IS PART OF THE ALPHA you punks.

Guess what happens when you live for 47 days? Who knows, the guys who lived it, perhaps the database stops saving your gear when you hit 48 days, how are we going to know if no one lives long enough to test it.

What a bunch of pimple faced rejects bitching about how others play the game, lol.

Guess what happens when you live for 47 days? Who knows, the guys who lived it, perhaps the database stops saving your gear when you hit 48 days, how are we going to know if no one lives long enough to test it.

Umm, that's kind of the point, Sherlock. If he's not on the latest version of the game then his tests are completely worthless and totally unhelpful to the developers. Like "Oh, something weird happened on your 3-month old code that no longer exists. Can you go back and check it?"

Test the latest version or you're not testing.

And if you're not testing you're about as useful as tits on toast.

Umm, that's kind of the point, Sherlock. If he's not on the latest version of the game then his tests are completely worthless and totally unhelpful to the developers. Like "Oh, something weird happened on your 3-month old code that no longer exists. Can you go back and check it?"

1.7.1.5 was released 6/20 and 1.7.2.3 on 7/14. That's not even counting 1.7.2 which was released with the expectation of a couple of quick patches... So it's been about 25 Dayz I've been off version. Obviously Rocket's not recoding the entire program on each release, so bug reports are still likely valid, and I cross reference anything I find against posts I see here although so far, all the bugs I've found have been documented. I'm on 1.7.2.3 now and will continue doing things my way looking for bugs my way and having fun doing it. The biggest problems the game faces now, that is well known to all, are DC'ers and hackers.

As a matter of fact, tits on toast are a delicacy in sourthern Cherno. There's a tavern opposite the city hall that used to serve tits on toast with gravy. They were to die for...

Edited by -Cdn-Chard

When the leaderboards were up I thought the longest alive character was around 60+ hours?

Edited by BigG

What if the previous code that he's playing on is stable for 47 days but things go wonky after 20 days on the new version of code? Don't presume to know what you're talking about unless you can think of all the possibilities. If things go wrong with the new code and he can post that what went wrong with the new is not occurring with the old version it may help narrow down issues.

Think.....

Playing in general is a test, no matter what combination of time and versions someone is playing.

Edited by Slyder73