I_Guts_I

Radios to communicate and broadcast

Radios  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Have radios to talk to anyone with another radio within the range of 4k, or go to a radio tower to transmit a broadcast.

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, But reduce the range
    • Yes, But let them talk to anyone
    • Yes, But no broadcasts

You could hack into other peoples radio frequencies. People would use it for that alone... Also those that play on RP servers would use them.

Fair enough, I believe this could work, but only on RP servers. Everywhere else, as soon as the danger of eavesdroppers is commonly known, everyone would be back on TS and you'd have a whole lot of useless radios on server--everyone listening and nobody talking except aversionfx. ^_^

It's a damn shame. I don't see any way to make using radio as suggested in this thread more appealing than voip. Take away eavesdropping or make it much more difficult and you could be onto something.

Fair enough, I believe this could work, but only on RP servers. Everywhere else, as soon as the danger of eavesdroppers is commonly known, everyone would be back on TS and you'd have a whole lot of useless radios on server--everyone listening and nobody talking except aversionfx. ^_^

It's a damn shame. I don't see any way to make using radio as suggested in this thread more appealing than voip. Take away eavesdropping or make it much more difficult and you could be onto something.

Ya but for the players looking for groups and those not playing with any and want to communicate. Well this is a great way to do it.

Although thinking about that I would not like having channels because it would be difficult to actually find a channelt hat other survivors are using.

How about this: Add second in-game voicechat option that is audible to 200-400m so people can yell to each other from afar. (Not so sure about this one, might get abused by players i.e playing songs) Suggestion #2: Add basic voice commands for players that don't have mics. Who's shooting in Cherno?

And for walkie talkies: Add walkie talkie/satellite radio as an item to the players toolbar(or takes one item slot in inventory). Have the radios receive distress signal from helicrashes within 1-2km. Make option for players to listen to his/hers radio by right clicking through gear menu(listening to radio should be audible to 80m). Make radios spawn in military locations, helicrashes and on infected military.

Edited by RaZzi

For people sayig reduce the range, if it was reduced too much and people were talking over it you would know they were close by.. So I say let them talk to anyone.

i think this would be a really cool idea but there would need to be more Radio towers implemented because i havent came across much i can recall of one near three valleys

i think this would be a really cool idea but there would need to be more Radio towers implemented because i havent came across much i can recall of one near three valleys

No, it would make doing a broadcast hard and make broadcasts harder to do. This way people aren't so obliged to just do broadcasts all the time or to just abuse it. The little amount of towers is a good thing.

i like the idea ... so anyone can make what they want ... just talk to others ... or play music, sing a song or give important tips to other survivors ... i think it would be funny ;)

Micspammers would be a non-issue as you can just mute them. I love this idea and actually was thinking about it a little while back. Multiple frequency system I think would be super necessary. Also how cool would it be to just scan the airwaves and eavesdrop?

I would imagine it would be a chat channel activated by the radio being in your inventory. You could specify the channel by right clicking the radio in your inventory.

It would be cool if you were audible for the same distance as the direct chat. So someone stalking you could hear you talking to your buddy and set up an ambush or something. It would be audible on both ends so the stalker would hear you AND your buddy who is however far away. I'm not a bandit btw but I think the nature of the game calls for allowing people to be dicks.

Edit: This would also make radio towers a highly contested area I think. (If that mechanic is implemented). OR Ideally instead of lighting up a friendly broadcaster, just say "hey, i'm trying to get to my friend in ______, do you mind pausing your Rebecca Black marathon and letting me contact my buddy who is X km away?" Little interactions like that make the game so much better I think. Killing everybody is super boring.

Edited by drseptapus

Micspammers would be a non-issue as you can just mute them. I love this idea and actually was thinking about it a little while back. Multiple frequency system I think would be super necessary. Also how cool would it be to just scan the airwaves and eavesdrop?

I would imagine it would be a chat channel activated by the radio being in your inventory. You could specify the channel by right clicking the radio in your inventory.

It would be cool if you were audible for the same distance as the direct chat. So someone stalking you could hear you talking to your buddy and set up an ambush or something. It would be audible on both ends so the stalker would hear you AND your buddy who is however far away. I'm not a bandit btw but I think the nature of the game calls for allowing people to be dicks.

Edit: This would also make radio towers a highly contested area I think. (If that mechanic is implemented). OR Ideally instead of lighting up a friendly broadcaster, just say "hey, i'm trying to get to my friend in ______, do you mind pausing your Rebecca Black marathon and letting me contact my buddy who is X km away?" Little interactions like that make the game so much better I think. Killing everybody is super boring.

Thats what I'm going for with radios.

So we have 89 votes in. Only 1 person has voted no.

I think this poll needs more votes but so far it seems like the community wants this as bad as I do. We need communication badly in the game. The inability to talk leads all player to assume the worst from players only being able to read their minds.

If you agree with this idea and want it implemented please spread the word by linking it in your description or just tell friend to tally their votes.

Attention: if you vote please post your thoughts to keep thread alive. Also I just want to hear your opinions on it.

Well I searched and couldn't find a post summing up this idea in a good and to the point way so here I go.

Have radios in the game that let you talk to other survivors that also have a radio within 4k(can be adjusted if you think this is to small or big).

If you reach a radio tower and etc... you can broadcast over the whole map and to devices(Military camps with radios, Tv's, etc...) and to other players with radios.

The player with a radio can mute them at any time.

Summed Up

• Radios to communicate to others with radio up to 4k
  • Able to broadcast transmission from tower

Why?

Its obvious that communication is a problem in DayZ. Most players cannot communicate with others if not in skype, teampspeak, etc... .

There is simply no way to interact with other players unless if they are right next to you. The side chat was an issue with blatant voices ruining the games immersion but if you add radios then you can mute them at any time and will only be talking to other people with radios. Your conversation will either end in you wanting to meet up, but a bandit can also have a radio and listen in.

yes.avi

YES! it would be so awesome because then you could send out broadcasts like this: *static* "this is A.E.F speaking, we are picking up survivors at the great lighthouse. we accept fuel, ammo, and food as well as drinkables. we will send out more broadcasts to keep you informed on our pickup locations. over" (A.E.F is armored evacuation forces. made it myself :D )

Edited by samiboy5

has nobody here heard of ARMA3????

it will have exactly what you are talking about for its dayz mod

rocket wont waste time on this cause its gonna be added to arma3

do some reading on arma3 now

Edited by ssjenforcer

has nobody here heard of ARMA3????

it will have exactly what you are talking about for its dayz mod

rocket wont waste time on this cause its gonna be added to arma3

do some reading on arma3 now

Its not really hard to do though and its needed badly.

like your idea, let people broadcast, but be sure to let people choose their radio channels like:

Channel 1: all incoming messages are played to the player

Channel 2: like channel 1 just without broadcasts

other channels : only hear the comms over the same channel