Sign in to follow this  
Shaimou

You opinion on zombie aggro range?

Your opinion on zombie aggro range?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Does the new zombie aggro range work well for you?

• No, the zombies need to have even better sights and aggro further!
    • Its fine as it is.
    • No, tone it down. Zombies aggro from too far away!
  2. 2. What version did you like the most regarding to the zombie aggro range?

3. 3. If you do NOT like the current (1.7.2&1.7.2.3) aggro range, what are the biggest problems with it?

• They just simply see me too far away when Im prone.
    • I dont want to crawl everywhere! I prefer crouching, and that doesnt work.
    • There are so many of them that its too hard to avoid them.
    • Looting buildings is too hard because you have to crouch/stand up in order to move indoors.
    • Something else, what?
    • I said I like it or want more challenge, I dont need to answer any of these.

There is a lot of debating about the new aggro range of zombies introduced in the patch 1.7.2 and 1.7.2.3. What do you think about the new zombie aggro range? Not the zombie difficulty, only the aggro range. Wanted to create a poll just for me and other forum warriors to get a bigger picture of what people think about it. Keep it cool.

Edit: Damn typos and the inability to remove them!

Edit2: Last question fixed with a new answer.

Edit3: A new option for Question 2.

Edited by Shaimou

1.7.2 had an increase in range. 1.7.2.3 patch notes said it had been reduced by 20%.

Like I said in another thread regarding 1.7.2.3

I played for a couple hours last night and I noticed strange aggro behaviors in the zombies. At first it was rather annoying, not being able to tell where a zombie may or may not aggro me and my friend, but over time, we found the new mechanics a lot of fun, honestly. We felt good to be able to open up a little bit and take down several zombies as we rolled through a town. We had no choice really, but being forced to open fire was like being forced to have a little "fun." We also saw a couple guys hauling ass from zombies, trying to avoid firing their weapons. We just killed the zombies for them and hollered at them in direct to take care.

Prone is about the safest way to avoid any aggro, but we hate to be prone all the damn time. We find we are less able to react to surprises and it slows the game down. So we just kind of rambo'd our way through towns.

It seems as if some kind of "critical" effect was added to whether a zombie notices you or not. We had a couple who were way out in a field, maybe 80 meters off, something normally we crouch-walk by with ease, even in daylight, spot us, but not all. So out of a small group of zombies, 1 or 2 may bolt out after us.

They can still be lost by LOS. We lost a couple that way; running into a building and leaving out the back door. We also managed to simply lose some by taking a corner or just running. We had one just give up chase really easily.

Like I said, the changes felt fun, but it may become a tiresome mechanic, especially when we have players looking for us. We seemed really safe last night, even on a crowded server. I almost wonder if the M4 and revolver shot noises scared some people away. We must have let loose 100+ rounds last night.

Ultimately, I had fun, but I can't say whether this change will be fun in the long run or just annoying. I was having a blast last night.

Also, the poll can not be completed without answering question 3, for which I have no answer.

Edited by Dingus

I find it suitable, but people that are either too aggressive or too impatient are not finding it acceptable.

1.7.2 had an increase in range. 1.7.2.3 patch notes said it had been reduced by 20%.

Yeah, thats why there is an option for them two. 1.7.2.3 is still harder then 1.7.1.5.

This poll was built without understanding how the forum software works.

The last question is an 'if' question, but the forum software requires the poll respondents to respond to every questions.

Honestly, the worst part with the new aggro is when you are running over a hundred meters away in a field and they aggro from towns. That is the biggest problem.

• Like 2

This poll was built without understanding how the forum software works.

The last question is an 'if' question, but the forum software requires the poll respondents to respond to every questions.

Yeah, figured it out myself. Fixed it and there is a new answer for those who cant answer it.

Remember its nothing official and Im not trying to grow any rebellion here, I just want to see the big picture of what people think.

During 1.7.1.5 i was very successful by going prone and staying stealth while crowing through village buildings! Now it's pretty much useless, they sense you instantly, running hot is the way to go it seems!

I really didn't experience the problems others did with zombie aggro in 1.7.2. I didn't have them run up from miles away, and I managed just fine in the city using my typical cover to cover tactics.

It seems a bit random at the moment. They aggro at 150m or so, which is way way too far.

This would not be an issue if they didn't sprint so fast, and if there was some feeling of consistency with regards to light levels, stance, range and movement speed. If we are to work with the AI please tell us what kind of ranges the triggers work at because it's impossible to give a fair appraisal of the AI when one day you can crouch run past them at 20m, then the next day you're aggroing 10 at a time from across a field.

It seems a bit random at the moment. They aggro at 150m or so, which is way way too far.

This would not be an issue if they didn't sprint so fast, and if there was some feeling of consistency with regards to light levels, stance, range and movement speed. If we are to work with the AI please tell us what kind of ranges the triggers work at because it's impossible to give a fair appraisal of the AI when one day you can crouch run past them at 20m, then the next day you're aggroing 10 at a time from across a field.

^^This. I wouldn't mind the current zombie settings if they were consistent.

I don't mind the current aggro range, Although I do wish it slightly higher.

Once you have the routine worked out of "Prone into/out of areas" the game gets slow.

I would not mind a few more types of zombies, not like special infected but like a scout zombie that would move faster around town and would alert nearby zombies if he finds you.

1.7.2 was ridiculous. the new hotfix is much better. I haven't played enough to get a real feel for aggro range in the new patch, but I still think that it should be turned down a little bit more. 1.7.1.5 was starting to feel too easy toward the end, but this seems like somewhat of an overreaction