Sign in to follow this  
Tranquility (DayZ)

Question for the "Just play Left 4 Dead" crowd

I've noticed a lot of people telling anyone who doesn't agree with the "shoot everything that moves" mentality to "go play left 4 dead", usually coupled with "staying alive is easy and zombies don't matter".

If staying alive is insignificant, and zombies are less threatening than the bugged non-moving goats, and PvP is the only reason to play...why do you play this instead of "Call of Duty: Modern Future Advanced Warfare 27" or "Battlefield: Return to Battlefield: Return to Battlefield 3 Premium Edition"?

Edited by Tranquility
  • Like 1

Did you really just make an acc for this "question?"

You already know they're vastly different games.

• Like 1

Did you really just make an acc for this "question?"

You already know they're vastly different games.

As are Left 4 Dead and everything about this game, even ignoring the "lulz i shoot you" part of it.

Edited by Tranquility

As are Left 4 Dead and everything about this game, even ignoring the "lulz i shoot you" part of it.

Zombies aside, are you asking me to compare left 4 dead to a survival mod in the Arma II engine?

Edit: which by the way is in

ALPHA

Edited by Red_Sky

Zombies aside, are you asking me to compare left 4 dead to a survival mod in the Arma II engine?

No, because I know it's a pretty stupid comparison.

Because many Day Z players are casual, they come on, die alot and then leave.

Apaprently it's fun to contribute to bad first impressions by shooting on sight with sniper rifles along the coast.

once you learn how to play you will look back at this thread,a nd laugh at yourself for being such a big noob.

• Like 1

Apaprently it's fun to contribute to bad first impressions by shooting on sight with sniper rifles along the coast.

^ This. At first i was hesitant, but now i know it was worth the divorce.

once you learn how to play you will look back at this thread,a nd laugh at yourself for being such a big noob.

Once I gain the ability to shoot anybody on sight?

Man, I can't wait until the day that I can play Arma 2 Deathmatch. I'm going to feel like such a noob.

BTW: You are mixing stuff up here:

"staying alive is easy and zombies don't matter".

If staying alive is insignificant, and zombies are less threatening

Think again.

Edited by Alexey Zemanov

Good question.

Probably because they find this more interesting then the average PvP-based shooter. So now they think this survival game is a PvP game mainly.

It's because they ask for a removal or extreme punishment system for PvP, but want guns, PvE, co-op gameplay, difficult zombies and the ability to change difficult, as well as base the game around the zombies, not survival.

That means L4D. And those that want melee instead of firearms, or an extreme reduction of firearms, with Co-op and no PvP, are pointed at Dead Island.

Those that want melee, no co-op, no PvP, but want the zombies to be super-easy and to add slapstick or parody-style humor can have Dead Rising.

To those that want a single player shooter against zombies and super-zombies get Resident Evil games until 4 and 5, which are parasites (GAH! I want my zombies back!)

People with more than 3 friends, and a love of co-op and hatred of PvP can still play Dead Frontier. Those that hate that, or dislike top-down views or guns also have the zombie minecraft mod based off DayZ.

So that's about it. Many of us here don't want a watered down game, melee vs zombie game, or a game with restricted PvP. WE WANT A SURVIVAL SANDBOX MOD+Zombies. That includes PvP and zombies, with interactions with strangers (PvP or not) and the feeling you have when hunting or being hunted that not many other games can give you. We don't want WoW with zombies, or we'd go to WoW and stand around the zombies in the plaguelands.

And to those telling us we are agenda pursuing COD whores or Battlefields brats, we can play that game, but I'm not lowering myself to that. Instead, I could add a suggestion to pull out zombies and the survival part and force people to ONLY PvP. I don't want that either, though. I want DAYZ, and I don't care if I have to play through the bugs to enjoy it, because I do. I enjoy DayZ. I want it to stay that way and evolve into bigger and better things, not get sucked into a PvE only game, or a restricted watered down cuddly hippyfest.

Yeah. Take it or leave it. I'll take DayZ and see where Rocket and his team takes it. They have their own picture for DayZ and I like how it is coming along.

• Like 7

So now they think this survival game is a PvP game mainly.

Do me a favor and go to the front page and click on "What is DayZ?"

Notice how PvP is listed before survival on your list of objectives?

Do you think that might mean to imply that PvP will be a necessary component of survival in this game?

Why did you ever assume otherwise?

Who told you it was a survival game and not a PvP game? Your special little magic frog that you keep in your front pocket for just such occasions?

Pretty much every post I've seen from you so far is bandying about this ridiculously bullshit notion that you're playing the game the "right" way and everyone who isn't playing like you has somehow got it wrong.

I look forward to following you around the boards and pointing out your mistake time and time again.

Otherwise, Zeromnentor has the right of it. "Go Play Left 4 Dead" because that's essentially what DayZ becomes if you disable or remove the PvP and add more zombie-based threats. It will just be small groups of survivors running around mindlessly gunning down crowds of zombies over and over and over again and that is what you do in L4D so the argument becomes if that's the experience you want why not just go get it since it's already available in a commercial, polished product that's quite popular?

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 3

I've noticed a lot of people telling anyone who doesn't agree with the "shoot everything that moves" mentality to "go play left 4 dead", usually coupled with "staying alive is easy and zombies don't matter".

If staying alive is insignificant, and zombies are less threatening than the bugged non-moving goats, and PvP is the only reason to play...why do you play this instead of "Call of Duty: Modern Future Advanced Warfare 27" or "Battlefield: Return to Battlefield: Return to Battlefield 3 Premium Edition"?

because those aren't open world sandbox zombie survival games?

preference. This is high stakes gambling. lots to lose, making it more fun.

Do me a favor and go to the front page and click on "What is DayZ?"

Notice how PvP is listed before survival on your list of objectives?

Do you think that might mean to imply that PvP will be a necessary component of survival in this game?

Why did you ever assume otherwise?

Who told you it was a survival game and not a PvP game? Your special little magic frog that you keep in your front pocket for just such occasions?

Pretty much every post I've seen from you so far is bandying about this ridiculously bullshit notion that you're playing the game the "right" way and everyone who isn't playing like you has somehow got it wrong.

I look forward to following you around the boards and pointing out your mistake time and time again.

To be fair to the OP, nearly every post i've seen you make has been unconstructive and harsh.

To be fair to the OP, nearly every post i've seen you make has been unconstructive and harsh.

Harsh? Yes. But un-constructive? It may seem that way because I'm posting in response to ideas that, if constructed, would basically ruin this game. Sometimes the best way to be constructive is to defend what has already been built.

I'll talk to you all day about improving PvP, adding more cooperative team play play mechanics, improving methods of communication, player identification, squad organization, vehicle functionality, base construction, player-driven systems of law and punishment, player-controlled bases and cities, etc., etc.

Start talking to me about how the game is "imbalanced" and there are too many bandits and the designers need to "solve the PvP problem" and, yes, you're going to get a verbal boot up your ass. That's just how I roll.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 1

Once I gain the ability to shoot anybody on sight?

Man, I can't wait until the day that I can play Arma 2 Deathmatch. I'm going to feel like such a noob.

you don't understand the game. you are complaining about pvp, and stating that PvE or survival is challenging on its own. when in fact, the art of being good at this game is spending the least amount of time and effort on survival and PvE, and always being rdy for inevitable PvP encounters.

other people are hell. learning how to deal with them in some way is what makes you a good DayZ player. not killing zombies and looting gear. those are beginer mechanics.

this thread belongs in the new player section, imo.

yes, you're going to get a verbal boot up your ass. That's just how I roll.

When I read ZDB post I imagine him as a toned, bearded lumberjack giving me the rawdog in the back end. That's how sexy his posts are.

Edited by Dingus

you don't understand the game. you are complaining about pvp, and stating that PvE or survival is challenging on its own. when in fact, the art of being good at this game is spending the least amount of time and effort on survival and PvE, and always being rdy for inevitable PvP encounters.

other people are hell. learning how to deal with them in some way is what makes you a good DayZ player. not killing zombies and looting gear. those are beginer mechanics.

this thread belongs in the new player section, imo.

Trying to throw out insults seems to be another trait of the "Just play Left 4 Dead" crowd.

Hey everyone, EA is surveying the community!