soapmak3r

Alternative food sources

Agree 100% while food is not necessarily scarce, their should still be various other ways to obtain it as one would be able to in a true zombie outbreak. The trial and error system of berries and mushrooms seems like a fun and intuitive system that could be easily implimented into DayZ that would not only increase the realism of it but also make for a more immersive gaming environment. Furthermore their are a plenty of animals that can be eaten... more than sheep and cattle...

Edited by Freekill0

Agree 100% while food is not necessarily scarce, their should still be various other ways to obtain it as one would be able to in a true zombie outbreak. The trial and error system of berries and mushrooms seems like a fun and intuitive system that could be easily implimented into DayZ that would not only increase the realism of it but also make for a more immersive gaming environment. Furthermore their are a plenty of animals that can be eaten... more than sheep and cattle...

I would love to be able to break open a dead tree trunk and find some insects to eat or shoot a squirrel and roast it (would need to kill two to make one meal?)

I like this idea - the option to find eggs, honey, etc. Fishing has been suggested before but the possibilities are endless.

Maybe you would require something like a lootable "Camp Utensils", so you can cook eggs and the like. Get a campfire going and cook a feast!

Nice suggestion

That wold be awesome if you also could harvest sap from maple trees and drink it later, it could be used as water, but will also have really weak effects of food!

The cities, towns and farms should have rats. Scewering a rat and cooking it on a camp fire sounds about right for this game.

If RPG elements are introduced to the game that includes wilderness foraging, I would totally be in favor of it. As it stands now, I don't like the idea of everyone being an expert outdoorsman, eating everything they can find in the woods.

If RPG elements are introduced to the game that includes wilderness foraging, I would totally be in favor of it. As it stands now, I don't like the idea of everyone being an expert outdoorsman, eating everything they can find in the woods.

The whole point though is that some of the things can be dangerous to eat, or require a certain tool you need to carry on you and take up space. Yes if a skill system was ever intro'd that would be cool. But in the meantime getting diarrhea and thus dehydrated, or vomiting and losing your food, or even full on food poisoning or death or unconsciousness if you eat the wrong thing.

I'd rather have in-game reprecussions to eating the wrong thing overall, as opposed to a system where you skill up and your character just "knows" what is the right and wrong thing. I think having to actually apply real-world knowledge would be a great addition.

I was going to put this up too. Great idea -as there should be enough varieties of edible plants in this part of the world to harvest and eat without having to worry about fetching a knife, a hatchet/wood and matches to cook your game... add dandelions and nettle too!

Also, as you spawn without a bottle, you should still have the option to drink straight from water sources anyway. I have passed so many dams, wells, ponds but can't get a single drop because I can't find a single canteen in any of the towns I visit (c'mon!)

Yesterday during drinking I was thinking about, what if when you drink yourself to full, you could gain some points in hunger. I am sure that plenty of you have noticed when you drink alot, you can't eat that mutch for a while. The time period could be like 15 mins, and then your hunger would return back. And ofcourse drinking would make you less hungry only a bit, maybe 20% or so, just giving you enough time to make your way to the next town/village or any alternative source of food. It's just a rough idea, but I think it is based on reality.

Could be cool. I imagine some poor new guy, red blinking food meter, o a berry bush! Then having to run to the bathroom.*

Bathroom*- I think survivors should have to poo and pee. Imagine walking around a building and seeing some dude just sitting there bent over. Whole new meaning to upper hand in a fight.

That I would support too! To be honest, this belongs to your bio system.. also if you would take a pee, you should be careful, becouse walkers could smell/hear you doing it lol!

i dont know if anyone suggested this, but perhaps adding a fishing pole to get food out of the ponds that you also get water. it would make me want to go them more, and perhaps other people. interesting if it happens, to find out what kind.

I agree. some sort of food/water should exist in the woods and rural areas. Plants, berries, mushrooms, moss, etc. Maybe a cactus in the dirt areas that can contain water. I think these could exist similar to backpacks where they're searchable but don't always contain something. It should definately be rare otherwise people will never bother going to towns.

I agree. some sort of food/water should exist in the woods and rural areas. Plants, berries, mushrooms, moss, etc. Maybe a cactus in the dirt areas that can contain water. I think these could exist similar to backpacks where they're searchable but don't always contain something. It should definately be rare otherwise people will never bother going to towns.

Yeah, just something that can partially refill your health so that if you are lost in the woods, starving, at least you can survive till you reach a town/village.

Edited by soapmak3r

While i totally agree with this, there are also some issue that makes me not want this:

- food would become even easier to get in non risk areas...

- we would need a season system as the sources you mention are not available all year round.

- there should also be risks involved with some of them being poisonous

- once picked they should take a long time to respawn, or else see first issue

I think there needs to be more emphasis on survival techniques. Introducing elements like survival bush craft etc. would not only deepen the gameplay, it would be educational and have real world, practical benefits.

EXCELLENT BEANS FOR YOU!!!

Being able to pick berrys or farm would be awesome!!!

Edited by thatcommiekid

Harvesting gardens is a little... but picking berries and apples sounds like a good idea.