Sign in to follow this  
Ramtex

Regional Chat Channels

I was thinking about the whole topic of bandits and survivors blah blah blah, and I came to the conclusion that our biggest problem is communication. You can't learn to trust someone who can't talk to you.

We have direct chat, but that only works at what, 50m?

I say, the map be cut into regions (this would also help people navigate better), each region has its own chat channel. Not voice chat, just like side chat. Once a player moves into a said region, they automatically join that regions chat. Of course there would be ways designed for those who don't want this feature.

I know it won't fix all our problems, but its a start.

Let me know what you guys think.

-Ram

It is actually possible to make the voicechat be global, thing is you get issues with spammers when you enable that...

Not everyone on the internet is comfortable with their voice being heard. The games younger players often don't want people to know they are that age.

Not everyone on the internet is comfortable with their voice being heard. The games younger players often don't want people to know they are that age.

Probably because in their age they wouldn't be allowed to play this game. Imagine a 13 yo "bandit" robbing a 30yo survivor. *sqeeking voice: "hey give me all your shit or i'll cap you ass" ....... *LAUGHTER*

Everyone has already complained about the lack of or better the unwillingness of players to make use of voice communication. Most kills are murders anyway and happen beyond shouting distance. Nothing is going to happen until ammo and weapons have been addressed properly.

I wasn't talking about voice chat. -.-

Never had that problem with them before.

In all seriousness, what you are proposing is simply side chat again. On a smaller scale maybe, but still essentially side/global chat. There isn't any rationalization we can come up with to make regional chat work and that's essentially why we got rid of global. Now radios, that's an idea that fits in the fiction and can be made to implement in-game chat across larger distances or indirectly.

A lot of psychological and gameplay mechanics affect banditry and while lack of communication certainly is one of them, it won't fix it entirely.

Side chat was a pest, you could hear the n00bs in Cherno all the way to the airfield. That's why I suggested regional chat. So only people withing your region can chat.