Sign in to follow this  
Partypants Pete

Waypoints?! What?

So, am I seriously the only asshole that didn't know you could set waypoints on your map while navigating? Because this shit is way easier than just running in the general direction, check map, angle, repeat thing I've been doing.

There are people using exploits that allow them to see other people's waypoints.

I advise you do not rely too heavily on them.

I know that you can do it, but don't know how.. saw it in a video once. Enlighten me please :)

So, am I seriously the only asshole that didn't know you could set waypoints on your map while navigating? Because this shit is way easier than just running in the general direction, check map, angle, repeat thing I've been doing.

I myself didn't know this until like a few days ago.. so no, you're not alone.

I'm quite sure over half the people don't know about them. But as Macenzie stated, cheaters abuse the fact that people do use them quite often. ;P

EDIT: It can be done by holding shift and left click on the map.

Edited by Hakultair
  • Like 1

I'm quite sure over half the people don't know about them. But as Macenzie stated, cheaters abuse the fact that people do use them quite often. ;P

EDIT: It can be done by holding shift and left click on the map.

We've lost several camps to these people, never place it directly on anything important. If you have to use a waypoint, put it somewhere past where you need to be (like twice the distance) and then stop when you get half way.

We've lost several camps to these people, never place it directly on anything important. If you have to use a waypoint, put it somewhere past where you need to be (like twice the distance) and then stop when you get half way.

Goddamn it, this must be why our bus got stolen.

Don't rely on it too heavily though. I'm 99% sure it's going to be removed at some stage.

Don't rely on it too heavily though. I'm 99% sure it's going to be removed at some stage.

It's best to learn to navigate the old fashioned way, failing that, find a GPS. So handy.

Edited by Macenzie

Hrm... well I'm glad that the day I figured it out I learned it could be exploited too. Thanks for the heads up.

Also, in case you didn't see above, guy who asked how to do it, you shift+left click on your map on a server that shows you as a blue dot on the map.

Not sure but I think players may be able to see your waypoint, correct me if im mistaken.

Sometimes I can see other peoples waypoints for no obvious reason, so I've learned not to rely on them.

Found several camps this way, one with 5 coyote packs in one truck, but then the server restarted and was locked.

Press Shift Leftmouse click ..... on the map then u have a small waypoint that ONLY U can see ...... known that on the first day ..... read more the DAyzwiki dudes .....BUUUT not nevry server was WP on :) now have fun by walking faster to ur location :P

No they CVANT SEE ur waypoint only when u DOUBLEPRESS LEFTCLICK and then a BIG X came up thats WROONG !!!! Shift leftclick guys ...

I've known about them for a while. Had no idea they could be exploited by others though. I assumed that was map markers, which is entirely different.

No they CVANT SEE ur waypoint only when u DOUBLEPRESS LEFTCLICK and then a BIG X came up thats WROONG !!!! Shift leftclick guys ...

People who are playing legit cannot see a way point you have placed with shift left click.

However cheaters can exploit and see your waypoint whilst being undetectable by Battle Eye.

Edited by Macenzie

It doesn't work on every server. Don't use it too much though, when it will be gone, you're gonna have a hard time using real navigation (map/compass)

Edited by Tyrog

It doesn't work on every server. Don't use it too much though, when it will be gone, you're gonna have a hard time using real navigation (map/compass)

GPS is the way forward <3

GPS is the way forward <3

Unfortunately, I've only found a GPS once and I died leaving the barracks with it.

It's surprisingly easy to navigate using the map and terrain features.

Last I checked, (I am an ArmA vet) the waypoints as well as markers that you place on a map can be seen by everybody that is in the same chat/voice channel as you. So if you are in "group" and you make a mark on the map of any kind then everybody in "group" can see that. Same goes for direct comms and vehicle.

I could be wrong on that when it comes to waypoints...never really used them myself as they were usually pretty useless to me in function. In reading that others say it should not be viewable unless cheating, I will test it when I get home.

In case nobody has figured this out yet...it's not so obvious...you can delete marks on the map by simply hovering over the mark and pressing the delete key on your keyboard.

Edited by Vertisce

It's best to learn to navigate the old fashioned way, failing that, find a GPS. So handy.

I navigate using dayzdb.com/map and follow my every move on the map to always know pin point where I am :P

My friend found a map yesterday and there was loads of circles with "x'es" in them. Tonnes in Cherno too. Some had writing next to them like "sniper?" and "uh-1y". There were other markings too which was a smaller circle with a ^ on top if it all along a road. Very strange.