Sign in to follow this  
disorder

Bounty System

Simple enough, a bounty system to allow players to pay for someone to track down and kill a target.

Obviously there is no money, so you would have to offer physical items in reward.

To initiate you would right click on an item in your inventory and choose 'add to bounty pool' it would remove it from your main inventory,

In town squares you get a billboard object, standing near it you get an option to 'Place player on bounty list', you get a text entry box to enter either their name or their currently assigned gameID, or a list of players to select from.

Players then coming to check this billboard will see a player name as marked, take on the assignment and then once target X is dead, hunter Y recieves the items in the pool assigned to that bounty.

What do you think of a system like this, workable?

Not very realistic, and I'm sure the billboard would just be camped. It's an interesting idea, but no player would actually use this because they would simply be relying on another player to kill someone they themselves could kill without losing the item they put up for grabs or waiting around for someone fool enough to go by and pick up this player-made "quest" and go through the strenuously long hassle of tracking down this player. (Which, I must remind you, is nigh impossible in a 225km^2 space across hundreds of servers without just a complete and utter stroke of luck -- which is not the kind of thing you base a feature on.)

How could this system even work across hundreds of servers? Would the bounty be server-locked? In that case, couldn't a player who has a bounty on their head just play on another server, if they were even stupid enough to be worried that someone, somehow, might randomly run into them and just happen to be the hunter looking for them?

The more I think about this, the less feasible and less interesting this idea becomes. Overall, I don't think this is a very good function for several reasons, including the ones I've already brought up.

Fair enough, talking about it does reveal any flaws and that is fine.

Lets see, 1. finding players. good old word of mouth, asking over chat/comms or anyone you pass by. alternate: put up a small 255 character note with each person you put on the bounty list, saying something about them *where you last saw X* and his/her rough heading.

2. It would be restricted to server.

3. Thinking someone is out to kill you because they will get paid for it, will add to the paranoia (which some people like)

Oh sorry I thought that was easy to figure, em the signpost stays as its part of the map and spawned like all the other fixed items (piles of trash,bases/barricades and stuff that are placed on the map). The list is kept track of via the server, kind of like a bans list.

And why would you want a player be killed by another? Why not kill him yourself, it's DayZ get a .50!! Just another useless idea on how to have an alternate way of killing eachother... Why didn't you post something useful like a billboard where you want to trade stuff? Oh yeah i forgot...ppl will kill you if they want something.

Why even bother with a bounty? Everyone is already hunted in this game anyway.

Yeah thanks enforcer, great input there. Its roleplaying dude. The same as 'eating' 'drinking' and 'taking a shit'*

Also not everyone is a douche, there are some players who want to team up and kill Z's because they don't like PVP, there are also the other 500 members that don't like PVP and go on about it all of the time, so why don't you come up with good realism/RPG ideas for those people who don't enjoy shooting other players randomly? You know, the ones that form groups and communities? The ones that don't roleplay at all?

* In version 1.7.3

Edited by disorder

I already made a suggestion. Look at my post a second time instead reading only half of it.

Start: And players hunting Z because they dislike pvp will always be hunted by pvpers who will be hunted by pvp haters who will be hunted by Z - goto start.

Edited by Enforcer

And why would you want a player be killed by another? Why not kill him yourself, it's DayZ get a .50!! Just another useless idea on how to have an alternate way of killing eachother... Why didn't you post something useful like a billboard where you want to trade stuff? Oh yeah i forgot...ppl will kill you if they want something.

That's exactly what i thought.

A billboard to promote trading for example would be a good thing. But i doubt it would work anyway.

Yep. the problem ist, wanna trade? Meet me at xxx. You go there you die... That's my point. Why trade when you can kill him and get the thing you wanted and the loot? I always got shot at so i'd never do something stupid like that if i don't already know the player and even then i'd take some backup like someone with a scoped rifle to cover me.

And for people crying carebear: i took part in some player hunting, too when i had the urge to kill something after beeing targeted so often...then i caught myself and continued the survivor way. I can also do it the bandit/DC way but it won't be nice. You won't find me even if you stepped on me. Already scared the sh*t out of other players during clanwars when pretending to be part of a bush and they tried to use me as cover. :P

Edited by Enforcer

This has been suggested a countless amount of times, please use the search bar next time.

Yes, then they come for the reward and kill you and take everything, or you kill them and take everything

Searching for 'bounty' brings up only this thread, this is the first time its been posted. GTFO Bdthemag, You're talking bollocks.

And yes I don't mind if trade is used too, however, this is about bounty, stop derailing enforcer. You have already disagreed and that is fine, but use another thread for another idea won't you?

I know why don't we all stand around talking about trade? When its a thread about bounty :P How about we talk about flamingos! .. blah

I don't care if people don't like the idea, tbh it was just an addition to the RPG element.. no worries. But hey, at least I've come up with several ideas now instead of criticising others' so I'm going to move on to the next one. I'm an idea machine, I'll come up with another one soon enough.

Edited by disorder