Nergalwaja

Friend's Alienware

So my friend has an Alienware laptop M17XR3 and is running Arma II and Dayz and thinks he should be able to run it higher than the low graphics settings. I was surprised to hear this as well so I figured we would ask you guys. His specs are:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Intel Core i7-2760QM CPU 2.40GHZ

4 GB of RAM

Intel HD Graphics 3000

An Alienware laptop with a Intel HD Graphics 3000 for a GPU? That's a first.

What kind of Alienware laptop has an HD3000?

Are you sure he doesn't have a dedicated GPU that can be switched on and off?

Edited by SirAdmiral

i think he is useing the build in gpu...the intel ones are on the cpu iirc not the motherboard...tell him to switch to the dedicated one(should be in bios for a laptop)

i am willing to be proved wrong, but there is no(99.99999999%) way in a hell an alienware comes with a hd3000 LOL

lol looks like i could be wrong, what a waste of money

Edited by kruxed

i think he is useing the build in gpu...the intel ones are on the cpu iirc not the motherboard...tell him to switch to the dedicated one(should be in bios for a laptop)

I think thats what he needs to do :)

From another site...

I have a Alienware M17x R3. CPU: i7 2630QM , discrete gpu : Radeon HD 6990M and the integrated gpu Intel HD 3000. They are switchable and for 99% of time I use Radeon HD 6990 for gaming.

Edited by Hetstaine

i am willing to be proved wrong, but there is no(99.99999999%) way in a hell an alienware comes with a hd3000 LOL

lol looks like i could be wrong, what a waste of money

Alienware was bought out by Dell, so yeah it's possible. The brand went WAYYY downhill since the buyout in my opinion.

ever since dell bought alien ware their quality has gone down

alienware use to be good BUT crazy expansive in 2005 but after dell bought them out, well they are just like any other prebuilt

and intergrated gpu is bad really really bad. its literally trash in the eyes of gamer and no self respecting gamer will run an integrated card for gaming ever

I've done dxdiag as well as checked the Device Manager on his laptop and the only thing that comes up is the HD Graphics 3000, so does he not have a dedicated graphics GPU like that was mentioned before?

I take that back. I'm in his BIOS now and it shows Discrete Graphics 1 Nvidia GFX

Maybe he is one of those guys who buys a alienware for the brand and does not look at what the specs are

You mean everyone who buys an Alienware?

Edited by OriginalVocalMix

So my friend has an Alienware laptop M17XR3 and is running Arma II and Dayz and thinks he should be able to run it higher than the low graphics settings. I was surprised to hear this as well so I figured we would ask you guys. His specs are:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Intel Core i7-2760QM CPU 2.40GHZ

4 GB of RAM

Intel HD Graphics 3000

this is why kids should not go out and buy comps just because they look shiny. ur friend, and urself for that matter, are idiots.

Excuse me Ballistixz? No need to be an asshole unnecessarily considering I've been building custom PC's for about 4 years now. I have a pretty decent knowledge of computers considering I do it soley on spare time.

• Like 1

Excuse me Ballistixz? No need to be an asshole unnecessarily considering I've been building custom PC's for about 4 years now. I have a pretty decent knowledge of computers considering I do it soley on spare time.

just ignore him.

go to control panel/system/device manager/display adapters

if it comes up with 2 there then you will know for sure, if not you will likely have enable it, or you you might even get away with using the gforce scanner on the nvidias driver site as its designed to detect hardware, if its not disabled of course

just ignore him.

go to control panel/system/device manager/display adapters

if it comes up with 2 there then you will know for sure, if not you will likely have enable it, or you you might even get away with using the gforce scanner on the nvidias driver site as its designed to detect hardware, if its not disabled of course

Thanks, but like I said I already went to Device Manager and the only thing that came up under display adapters was the HD Graphics 3000. And when I went into his BIOS it showed an Intel Sandy Bridge graphics and under that it said Discrete Graphics Nvidia GFX, but I couldn't find how to enable that Nvidia setting. Am I on the right track?

I didn't pay for this, my friend did, and it was one of his only options at the time, so please don't post things like:

wat u get is wat u pay for

...nvm it's alienware u just pay.

If you can help, great. If not, find another thread to comment on please.

LULZ @ the alienware noobs. /End 13yo mode..

OP, he probably has a 660m or something close.. Have your tried searching for a Nvidia control panel? Going to their webpage and getting the latest drivers (see if it tells you the card)? I find it hard to believe you are messing with BIOS and stuff but you couldn't find the video card if it was that simple.. Then again I find it hard to believe there is no easy way to find it in the first place.

Thanks, but like I said I already went to Device Manager and the only thing that came up under display adapters was the HD Graphics 3000. And when I went into his BIOS it showed an Intel Sandy Bridge graphics and under that it said Discrete Graphics Nvidia GFX, but I couldn't find how to enable that Nvidia setting. Am I on the right track?

thats more than likely the cpu graphics chip, im not certain about the mobile versions but as it says sandy bridge its more than likely the cpu dedicated graphics chip which comes with i7's and its alot worse than the 3000hd lol.

the only other things you can try is a dxdiag or the detect nvidia hardware app, you could also try right clicking on the desktop and see if nvidia control panel is listed