Sign in to follow this  
oktyabr

Wanting to host a server

This thread might be construed as a sort of hosting FAQ.

What are the server and bandwidth requirements?

Does a typical unmanaged VDS/VPS suffice or do you prefer backend support?

I know the devs have their preferred providers... are other providers out of the question at this point?

Can a server be configured to reflect a different time zone (i.e. chasing daylight) or is this difficult at this point?

Personally I am very close to having funds raised to support at least one other server and would just like to know the best way to invest them.

Q: Can I host a DayZ Server?

A: Send as a email to dayzdevteam@gmail.com if your server has these broad requirements and wish to be run 24/7:
Windows OS (only tested on Windows Server 2008)
4GB RAM
Dual Core CPU (Quad recommended)
10Mbps down, 5Mbps up (considered a minimum for ~25 players, can spike well above)
Able to run the custom HIVE console EXE application
RDP for DayZ staff so updates can be self applied. Alpha is a very rough time, 10 updates van be released in an hour
MySQL (currently not used, but in Beta/Release each server will run its own DB)

Approximate requirements, you'll need a pretty good processor to support a good amount of players. Also expect to eat through alot of bandwidth, for the two EU servers I host I've gone through roughly 120 GB today, >900 GB this week.

At the moment time is fetched from the server time.

Yeah, the bandwidth is where it gets expensive. The one host I've been looking at is $49 for 2000GB/Month and $89 for double that, 4000 GB. Although that's for a single 50 slot server. You said you are going through 900+ for two servers?

Yeah' date=' the bandwidth is where it gets expensive. The one host I've been looking at is $49 for 2000GB/Month and $89 for double that, 4000 GB. Although that's for a single 50 slot server. You said you are going through 900+ for two servers?

[/quote']

Yeah, last two-three weeks I've gone through 1.9 TB's

If you're looking for a cheap host out of germany:

www.hetzner.de

I use them personally, excellent price for what you get. And 10 TB's of bandwidth for most of the servers!

Yeah' date=' the bandwidth is where it gets expensive. The one host I've been looking at is $49 for 2000GB/Month and $89 for double that, 4000 GB. Although that's for a single 50 slot server. You said you are going through 900+ for two servers?

[/quote']

Yeah, last two-three weeks I've gone through 1.9 TB's

If you're looking for a cheap host out of germany:

www.hetzner.de

I use them personally, excellent price for what you get. And 10 TB's of bandwidth for most of the servers!

Thanks for the tip but I'm really looking for west coast US/Canada. Most of our servers on this side of the ocean are hosted clear on the other coast or midway between the two of them. If you aren't very familiar with the size of the continental US there are three hours of difference in daylight between the two coasts and a considerable addition to ping (+60 ms for me to ping the east coast).

We have the capacity at Task Force Blackjack (www.tf-blackjack.com) to host a DayZ server in the US.

We have two dedicated high spec windows servers with unlimited data.

Dayz Team please get in touch !

We have the capacity at Task Force Blackjack (www.tf-blackjack.com) to host a DayZ server in the US.

We have two dedicated high spec windows servers with unlimited data.

Dayz Team please get in touch !

The mod team doesn't contact you, you contact them.

E-mail dayzdevteam@gmail.com

Reading trough requirements for server hosting makes me wanna cry. I have Linux ( Debian 6 64bit ) headless server which is powerful enough ( i5 2300 ) 16gb RAM and 10TB/month limit with 100Mb up/down link, but all I read is Windows.

I dont wish to go back to it and I hope linux will be supported.

Have a look at my thread if you wanna help chip in for 2 more EU servers.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=602

Thanks mate I'm already paying a lot for this one and I need it, cant quit it and wont. So until Linux is supported by this mod, I'm afraid nothing is going to happen.

Windows 2008 servers ( or read any Win based server ) dont work quite good in my experience and for game servers the best solution is linux, but truth is its not easiest one. And its cheaper, quite a lot.

Linux doesn't support named pipes for the server executable.

Linux doesn't support named pipes for the server executable.

There is no executable on linux, there is binary. I'm not that good with programming, in fact I know little to nothing about it, but I know how dedicated servers perform on both systems and which one is more stable and can run better.

Is this what you said like no there will be no support for linux ever? :huh:

What are you talking about? Of course there are executables on Linux. On linux its just represented as file attribute and not depending on .exe suffix.

AFAIK it all depends whether some interprocess communcation will be implemented in arma's linux server as is in windows version.

Sockets would be natural, though are inherently insecure (They depend wholly on bit set permissions) but the difference is that a layer of abstraction in addition to what is already done with dayz would have to map out the differences. The other route would be shimming udp packets at some listener to do commands, which is not very dependable.