Just a quick suggestion:

The introduction of Molotovs?

I'm really not sure how possible this is from a technical standpoint, as I'm not sure if there are even "burning" animations already within ARMA 2.

Basically, it was just an idea of being able to combine empty whiskey bottles with fuel cans.

Like I said, I'm not sure how possible it would be to do this, but I just thought I'd throw the suggestion out there anyway.

Cheers.

Yeah, was thinking the same. Empty whiskey bottle, fuel, matches.

Maybe..

Fill bottle with fuel

Put it on the ground and light up

Pick up and throw

Yeah i think molotovs totally make sense in the DayZ world.

And i like very much the suggestion of combining jerry can with empty whiskey bottle. Even being abla to shoot a jerry can to make a huge flamming area.....Yes just like Left4Dead i know :(

I would wonder if the engine can handle fire.

I've only seen maybe a game or two that can handle fire in this kind of multiplayer world without dragging frame rates down to hell.

Can the engine DO widespread, somewhat lasting fire?

L

Theres already fireplaces you can light with matches, and oil barrels you can set on fire. All it would need to do is use the same fire graphic for those and just add damage - very possible.

Fire is a set place is not fire splashing around and doing damage...

I would wonder if the engine can handle fire.

I've only seen maybe a game or two that can handle fire in this kind of multiplayer world without dragging frame rates down to hell.

Can the engine DO widespread' date=' somewhat lasting fire?

L

[/quote']

Well there are fire effect in the game (Destroyed vehicles) and they arent overly taxing on system resources.

My question about "Burn effects" is more in relation to the zombies themselves. Adding effects that show people & zombies actually on fire might be too much of a time sink for Rocket if theyre not already in the game.

They do make sense however. Its a simple incendiary device that most people would think of crafting in an actual post-apocalyptic scenario due to the abundance of the resources required to make it.

If Rocket could pull this off I would be very impressed indeed, however we dont really know how possible it is at this point without some insight from the man himself.

cktmolotov.jpg

I did that' date=' what do you think?

[/quote']

Very cool indeed!

GJ

While Molotov cocktails in the survivalistic do-it-yourself environment seems like a good idea (through movies?), is it really? Like anyone who has actually studied the subject and knows about history can say that their original purpose was to be a poor man's anti-tank weapon. And nowadays they are mostly used to cause disarray at protests and the like. they are however usually far from lethal. From the game mechanics perspective they don't offer that much significant use in DayZ.

And I know what you're saying: "I wanna throw them at zombies and light them on fire". C'mon... Have you thrown a bottle of Jack at someone (I hope not)? Bottles rarely break making contact with a person, and burning on the ground a liter of gas is not gonna light anyone on fire.

Even if we set aside all the realism, the work of doing the effects and scripting fire, nevermind letting them loose on a multiplayer environment, doesn't in my mind offer enough payout for the actual use of the "weapon".

But if people really wanna get some fire in this game, maybe the zombies could be made to be afraid of it - a means to control their movements. Now that would be an actually useful game mechanic.

It would be useful as a silent sort of weapon. Trapped on the roof of a building, horde of zombies below. Attract the nearby zeds with a smoke and then light them up with a few molotovs without pulling the attention of everything in town. Area denial effect as well. Blocking a building entrance with fire for a few minutes causing any shamblers to catch fire and die if they come through it.

Fill the bottles at any big gas tank, or fill 4-5 at one time from a single jerry can. Definately should need matches in order to light and throw them.

Main use of molotovs would be to cut off streets in cherno for example, being trapped on a roof with hordes of zombies below, cut off escape paths for other players etc....

Seriously the possibilitys are endless not just to throw at people like in movies.

Empty whiskey bottle, bandage and a fuel can. Then to be able to use it you must have matches in your inventory. Easy as that.

The idea has been suggested before, including by ME over a month ago:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=146&highlight=molotovs

It was suggested in that thread that that is why the whiskey bottles were included in the first place, as a step towards molotovs in a future version.

Definitely usable to temporarily deny access to a door or through a street. Damage to both players and zed that try to cross it.

PLEASE use the "Search" box from now on before starting new threads.

cktmolotov.jpg

[/quote']

Whats the poly count? I imagine that model could be used if its low poly enough and you make a few LoDs of it... :)

cktmolotov.jpg

[/quote']

Whats the poly count? I imagine that model could be used if its low poly enough and you make a few LoDs of it... :)

Not much, also it s not meant to stay for long ^^