Sign in to follow this  
Bandw2

Chat, specifically all chat.

been gone for like a week or 2. and find out all chat is universally disabled. right now the game got at least 20 times more boring, especially on your own. with the current state, enemy or even possibly friendly players, might as well be a NPC. after someone kills you, you can't go "hey nice shot!" or "damn i just got a map, who killed me?". i've been playing for a while and like the game, but the moment that all chat was disabled, the game just felt quiet, and empty. sure i can go and try to find other people, but probably i'd either get shot, or simply not know where to go. i could go to some of the more populated areas and wait for people, and then kill them or try to get their attention but, as after killing them i will not really get anything(emotional or what ever), like the game got significantly more bland to me. the whole reason of getting a multiplayer game is to socialize, and with out all chat i spend most of my time alone crawling around, with little to no interaction with anything other then animals to get food or lakes to get water.

background so you don't instantly generalize me. i am in a clan, and the clan has vent. so i can talk to clan members but i usually play earlier in the day, while most of the members play later. I am not the kind of person who tries to kill people, only time i attempt it is when you see someone at say they airfields and you have a group and so you don't want to team up and they could kill one of your allies or you. so, i don't hunt people and i can survive fairly easily, zombies only being a threat because of their insane speed and fast animations (no predictability to what a zombie will do when he sees you).

just in between me doing things or going from city to city i like to talk to the randoms people in all chat, and sometimes i help a newbie understand what he has to do. i generally will explain more then the typical "learn the game". and now well it's all gone and got boring.

EDIT: sorry if you see a bunch of typos i am currently on painkillers. :P

Edited by Bandw2

Hey Bandw2,

I completely agree with you. On that note:

Server admins CAN enable side chat through some messy editing of the mission file, although they risk being blacklisted from the hive by doing so... I personally prefer side chat on as well :).

-winks-

-looks at signature-

Edited by Guest

This is a double-edged sword.

I find side channel breaks immersion (feeling alone in the world is just one more great aspect of the mod) and is clunky. It's distracting and usually filled with mindless dribble, though occasionally hilarious.

On the flip side it can facilitate some great group-play, and has a longer range to call out enemies (or friends) who are crossing your path, as opposed to direct communication, which, when typed, has an extremely short range.

Edited by Baelethal

Walkie talkies, to maintain communication without breaking immersion, and who knows what else.

http://dayzmod.com/f...ies/#entry29775

This will come later...

Until then, it should be toggleable. People who like the full immersion can go to the ones without, all the other can go and have fun on the ones with. (Reminder: We already have that with 3rd person, crosshair and name tags... so why not?)

That's the easiest solution and nobody get's butthurt.

Edited by Testificate