Ving (DayZ)

Slight law system proposal: AI Survivor murder chance of 'witnesses' discuss

I'm not trolling. Just tired of people trying to come up with ways to "punish" bandits. Or trying to make the game more unfriendly towards bandits.

Obviously you are one and don't want to have your advantage taken away from you. Rest assured, as long as they don't have your RL face on the model nobody will ever recognize you so you can continue with the psychotic surreal i wanna be a murder in a zombie apocalype stuff as long as you want.

Haha ok somebodys getting mad. It's a part of the game just get over it.

Oh and by the way you're right, in a real zombie apocalypse I would not murder everyone I saw. But this is game, not real life.

Well, interesting to see the response.

I find those with the angry tone, a little telling.

I'm not saying that my original post idea is great, it needs work, may not even be viable.

I guess though what I'm trying to address is, something lacking in this game, once you get passed learning how to survive, which, devolves into pretty much pvp ONLY, because there is really not much else to do, and with your only tools being essentially WEAPONS, your kinda encouraged into a serial player killer mentality.

I would like to see:

More skins - visual uniqueness and variation is really subpar in this game basically non-exsistant - PVP is rediculous when everyone looks like a clone of the guys youve been running next to for weeks.

More tools - Sandbox? What sandbox? You call it a sandbox because it doesnt have quests, or npc's? Bullshit. You cant build anything, you cant craft anything, your only focus past surviving is looting weapons and occasional vehicles, and killing players, because its frankly the only challenge left. Sandbox? lol (Yes I know they are looking at tools - you dont need to inform me of the post about underground stuff etc)

Maybe more vehicles? Seems everyone loves their vehicle adventures, no reason not to have more, and it would seem a bit more realistic I think...

I dunno, I just think this game needs something more than it becoming COD, once youve learned how to avoid the zombies. In COD, there was a world war going on. In Dayz, its an epidemic, affecting a society that otherwise until that point, was murdering each other with military grade automatic weapons, for kicks, and a rather abbreviated loot list. See the problem there?

Am I wrong? Gota better idea?

I'm not trying to ram any idea down anyones throat, as some people here seem to think, - I'm just thinking outloud, and wanting to discuss, improve the game, and even change my mind based on objective criticism,

But this game really DOES to me, seem to lack something, once the 'newness' of bieng scared shitless of surviving, wears off a little.

I can do the COD thing, sure, but, it just seems like there could be so much more - simular in flavor to the 'woah!' factor you get at the beginning of the game. Once your past that right now, it feels somewhat much more typical, and unrealized.

So, ideas?

Edited by Ving

You are trying to discourage murder AND add NPCs. Rocket explicitly said there will be NO NPCs and NO penalties to bandits/murderers. Just because you say in your topic that it isn't a bandit punishment doesn't automatically make your bandit punishment okay.....

You are trying to discourage murder AND add NPCs. Rocket explicitly said there will be NO NPCs and NO penalties to bandits/murderers. Just because you say in your topic that it isn't a bandit punishment doesn't automatically make your bandit punishment okay.....

I wouldn't say the OP is trying to discourage murder, more giving people another option to it, when I started playing this alpha you could run through Cherno and Electro without being shot, and actually find players who were friendlies, now however, I don't even go near those cities because entering them generally leads to death.

In my opinion, if the world actually suffered from an epidemic like DayZ, and people were to become infected, there would be some form of society maintained, even if it was murder all those not from our 'group' because they would be a drain on our precious resources, there would also be groups that would let others join, help them out, warn wandering survivors that they witnessed a murder if they were headed in the same direction as the killer, groups of players might leave notes on walls, much like L4D telling friends and family where they headed, so they could leave warnings on there too, like 'stay away from the firestation, bandits own it'.

The basic idea is a nice one, but I think it would be better left up to players to do all the work, we just need the tools to do so.

Yes, thats the way I see it.

And maybe NPC's arent the answer, I think tools as you put it for the players to do it themselves, is a much better idea.

I'm not looking for a way to punish 'bandits'. BTW - 'Bandits' are no longer a 'class' in this game, there are no mechanics, and the use of that terminology to justify a style of gameplay as a forgone conclusion, or intent of the developer, is just, an opinion. The heartbeat indicator is simply killers nerves indicator, it is not a 'class'.

I'm interested in finding a way to make the game feel like there is more too it, than:

Step one: learn to avoid zombies.

Step two: play COD deathmatch.

My contention is that when your only options are looting weapons, and vehicles, and your only challenge left, is killing players, the game SUBLIMINALLY encourages, a simpletons, serial killer, endgame. thats all there is?

I think this game deserves MORE than those two steps. It has alot of potential.

The first part of the game, involves alot of learning, and interesting decisions.

Once you get past the learning curve though, COD deathmatch, because there's nothing else to do/challenge you? really?

Well, what if you had to THINK about that murder, and when and where you did it? THAT was my point - adding complexity to the end game model.

I'm not talking about 'punishing anyone'. If you read my original post closely, you might even notice, that I even left room for 'wrong info' provided by npc's, based on what they saw....

But as the guy above said, yeah, i'm fine with eliminating the npc idea, but I still say this game needs more complexity, past the 'zombie learning curve'...

Edited by Ving