Sign in to follow this  
L0G!N (DayZ)

Cut down inventory space !

Please re-evaluate the amount of things we can carry around with us!

Normal inventory (top)

If i evaluate the space i have on me, to carry things with me, and i take into account that i am wearing 'some' survival style clothing. I come to the following space:

- 2x side-leg-pockets on my pants.

- 2x normal-leg-pockets on pants.

- 2x back-pockets on pants.

Now it may be so that the survivor is also wearing a jacket. Which would have:

- 2x pockets one on either side and

- 1x inside pocket.

Giving a total of 9 spaces to carry things... And while not all these pockets are realy viable to carry a can of beans in, that shouldn't realy matter, but seeing space should be a valuable resource, i would suggest making it 8 slots, for not being able to carry large things in your back-pockets (besides realy flat things, we want believability, not realism).

Normal Inventory (bottom)

As noted about the back-pocket pants, this would be a place where you can store some clips or bandages, and it's likely that you can force in a bandage or clip in some other pockets aswell (together with something else). But here i noticed that with the current 8 slots, once i have 3 bandages and 5 clips i am no longer afraid to run out of stuff any time soon! So i would suggest cutting this space down to 5 or 6 slots, perhaps 5 slots would be best.

Normal Inventory (total)

Inventory space should eventually be linked to the clothes a player wears, we could start out with very limited civilian clothing with hardly any space, to find all sorts of clothing items that increase the space we have in our inventory.

Toolbelt

Then, on my belt, which is a normal belt, i suggest having just 4 slots for tools. And implementation of the following idea to implement user determained professions: http://dayzmod.com/f...sions-teamwork/ and ways to add some valuable space to your inventory.

Backpacks

As for backpacks, spawn us WITHOUT one ! And add a civilian backpack with 4 slots to the loottable, the current backpack can also be added to the loottable, adding both of these will directly influence the spawnrates of other backpacks (in a positive for DayZ way) and esp. civilian and 6 slot Czech as well as the current backpack could be added to other buildings, reducing spawns of other items positively as well (atleast positive in a DayZ way). Ofcourse all the other backpacks would still stay in the game! ... Added feature, spawn broken/torn backpacks of larger capacity that have some slots blocked due to being a 'broken' item. At some point introduce sowing and have people repair these backpacks to unlock them to total size. Full backpack progression:

1. toolbelt bag(s) - 3 slots (see related thread regarding toolbelt in my sig)

2. Broken Czech Vest - 4 slots *can be repaired with needle & thread

3. Czech Vest - 6 slots

4. Broken Cayote Patroll - 6 slots *can be repaired with needle & thread

5. Coyote Patroll pack - 8 slots

5. Severly broken Assault pack - 8 slots *can be repaired with needle & thread BUT only to 10 slots.

6. Broken Assault pack - 10 slots *can be repaired with needle & thread

7. Assault pack - 12 slots

8. Severly Broken Czech Backpack - 12 slots *can be repaired with needle & thread BUT only to 14 slots.

9. Broken Czech backpack - 14 slots *can be repaired with needle & thread

10. Czech Backpack - 16 slots

11. Severly broken Alice pack - 16 slots *can be repaired with needle & thread BUT only to 18 slots.

12. Broken Alice pack - 18 slots *can be repaired with needle & thread

13. Alice pack - 20 slots

14. Severly broken Coyote Backpack - 20 slots *can be repaired with needle & thread BUT only to 22 slots.

15. broken Coyote Backpack - 22 slots *can be repaired with needle & thread

16. Coyote Backpack - 24 slots

Implement Weight, for all of these

Then also implement this idea to make the whole system more elaborate, and prevent players from carrying the equivilent of a whole car without any penalty: http://dayzmod.com/f...eight-on-items/

* this link has been updated to the newly created weight thread.

With all these things implemented i think this game will become considderably harder without changing zombies into utter killing machines and reducing spawns of weapons directly... In general i think less space means more presure on decisions and inventory space, while added spawn items put more pressure on spawned items in general, and all will give more enjoyment/relief when finding things. While at the sametime, all of it gives more presure to work together, while under no circumstances limit a bandit from sitting a top a hill sniping noobs (yes i may not like your 'gaming style, but i do not forget you are a valuable part of my experience ;) )

Edited by L0G!N
  • Like 2

-The 'jacket' is actually a tactical vest with many pouches, validating the current inventory.

-The 'Civilian Backpack with four slots' is already in the game, its called the "Czech Vest Pouch" ( I imagine he will switch to this in the future )

Edited by FunkyHermitCrab

I can't agree with this suggestion at all.

It would make the already established players even more powerful compared to new players, while making even harder than it already is for new players to catch up to established players.

Give the items weight and volume like in ACE, this will prevent players running around like a one man army and would add to the "realism" of the game. Travel light travel fast. What we need is a place to store bulky items.

wtf is wrong with the fonts?? small big wtf...

Edited by Enforcer
  • Like 1

to be honest with a cz, alice, or coy backpack in real life, i could fit about 5-3 guns in them = alot of space and could fit alot more shit n my pockets to, so cut down, imo bad idea?

In general i think less space means more presure on decisions and inventory space, while added spawn items put more pressure on spawned items in general, and all will give more enjoyment/relief when finding things. While at the sametime, all of it gives more presure to work together, while under no circumstances limit a bandit from sitting a top a hill sniping noobs (yes i may not like your 'gaming style, but i do not forget you are a valuable part of my experience ;) )

@Hermitcrab, while there is no clothing system in the game yet :( ... i still think the amount of slots needs to be reduced, a tactical vest can only hold small things, usually some tools and bandages maybe a candybar. So having less space makes total sense, if you evaluate all the things you can carry in the inventory now (tanktraps, barbwire). And if a clothing system is introduced, then finding a tactical suit could have a benefit of added space for small items (similar to how my toolbelt idea is set up). ... and the Czech is a 6 slot bag ;)

@Lou_Drew, I think as a community we should try and 'press' the Dev team to celebrate the 2.0.0 patch with an entirely new map, that will reset everyone :)

@Enforcer, check my threads linked in the OP, it has those suggestions right there ;)

@Arims, I didn't say 'cut down space on the backpacks' did I ?! perhaps i should specify this specifically in the OP, just the base inventory needs to be smaller, and people need to spawn without a backpack, so these items can be added to loot tables, so that there is more presure on chances on loot, giving a more challenging experience! Hence i am also for giving people nothing as they spawn, just to add the flashlight and backpack to the loot tables and slightly increase bandages & painkillers, putting further presure on other items! ... And for those bigger backpacks the weight system will cull down the amount of stuff you can carry :)

Edited by L0GIN

Whups i forgot the space for clips and bandages :blush: ... i will add this to the OP, so people may be less shocked of this proposal

Ok, i don't get it, i been on this forum for about 2weeks and seeing i like ideas/suggestions this is the place i hang out most. Now in these 2 weeks i have seen roughly 8+ threads all asking the same thing: MAKE DAYZ HARDER! and all request, reducing loot/weapon drops, making zeds harder... while this may be a viable way to make the game harder, it's just one element of making the game harder. And various thread to introduce more teamwork, but no real viable ways to do so (+1 to mechanics is not DayZ) ... and these threads get bunches of people agreeing...

But as long as you can carry the equivilent of a wharehouse and a toolshop with you, this game will likely be as easy as ever, just a tad more frustrating if the zed's are made harder and loot drops reduced. While there is still no incentive to cooperate, due to being able to do everything because you carry a whole toolshop with you! ...

Now this suggestion actually makes the game harder, it also gives a great incentive to cooperate (esp. with the various other threads linked to it), and i get 3 people basically being against this idea because 'i don't wanna loose space' and no one (sofar) agreeing with me that this would indeed be a good way to make DayZ harder ...

So what is it? Does the community want a harder game? or are these threads just made by trolls that want to screw our experience over by pushing for OP zeds and nothing to fight them with!

Edited by L0GIN

I always found it weird that I can only fit a few guns in the Alice pack, you really should be able jam more things in there. I think adding weight to items that effects movement speed would be great. At the same time I'd like to see large duffle bags added which could potentially take up your rifles slot. Don't just force players to travel light, give us the realistic ups and downs of both. Opting for a small pack with only a few items and your fast and quiet. Opt for a large backpack and a duffle on your shoulder and you have the benefit of being able to carry alot of gear, but you're slow, noisey, can't use a rifle and become thirsty quickly. This would increase the variety of play styles seen amoung solo players and add more management options for grouped up players so they can define specific roles within the group. A lightweight fast player covers his pal while he runs into the building with a huge bag throwing whatever supplies he can find into it.

@Sgt.Racheloblade, This is not a troll thread but a serious suggestion to cut down the amount of space people have, to create another kind of scarcety and force cooperation, and make the game harder by limiting space. If you mean that all the threads about making dayZ harder are TrollThreads then please use a few more words so your intentions are clear.

@Magicool, great vid, now try that with cans of beans and coke! or even tanktraps. Or even do the same and try to run for it! This vid is fairly silly as you will loose half of those guns as soon as you move an inch. And the rifle, lmao, well i guess add some crutches and nobody may notice...

@LastShinanigan, your point has been brought up (though not the duffle bag) in the weight thread, i was unable to update the OP though, seeing my account was lost on the forumsoftware update. So i made a new thread only just now, and the link in this thread has been updated to link to the new thread of which i can update the OP with new info... ps. I like the dufflebag idea, given it is rare and takes one's primairy slot, it would even give the rocketlauncher a bit of 'ease' as it prevents one from having a bag... and if weight does get added, a dufflebag is balanced in it's own right ...

Edited by L0GIN

If ammo clips and items like bandages stacked, we wouldn't need as much space...Currently, with the base backpack/inventory slots, you need to have the space for primary weapon ammo, and usually need the backpack for secondary weapon ammo/bandages etc.

The inventory system is fine as it is. People already have to pick and choose the loot that they take. I do anyway.

If anything, I would argue that the inventory should be made larger, with many more slots, and the size of things should be made more relative.

@soapmak3r, why would things stack, that doesn't make much sense except for a very small sellection of items. F/e painkiller box could have a couple in them, bullits are already stacked in magazines (and we may find magazines and bullits seperately in the future), any other item though? that just doesn't make sense.

The inventory system isn't fine as it is, because (and you may not have one) but as soon as you find an ALICE pack i am sure you start to understand what i mean.

I totally agree on the size of things, just not on the inventory space, and one can never truely make size in bags truely relative, i mean how much space would a tanktrap and barbwire take, esp. the tanktrap. So to me it would make much more sense to add 'weight' as a second way to balance items, the suggestion in linked in the OP you might want to check it out...

I have to agree with the OP. My own concept of this follows...a list of changes that affect the inventory system. I'm going to say it up front: the motivation here is to steer this game away from deathmatch/meaningless murder, and more towards cooperation and more meaningful/gainful murder. If you think this game should always be about 50 elite military brutes in a server stalking and shooting eachother for the sheer thrill of deathmatch and less about the zombie apocalypse or survival, then don't read further.

Change 1: Start off without a backpack

Why it makes sense or is more realistic:
Most people
don't
run around with backpacks waiting for the zombie apocalypse to happen, so why should we expect to have one?

How it affects gameplay:
Players without a backpack are more likely to request assistance from other survivors, and also make
murdering survivors with backpacks
more essential to survival. On the flip side, those without a backpack are a little less likely to get murdered. The potential reward to the aggressor is less when there is a clear indication that the would-be victim has little to give up.

Change 2: Get rid of toolbelts.

Why it makes sense:
Again, I can't imagine that most people would
just have
a toolbelt to carry 12 things (or however many slots you get) in the real zombie apocalypse.

How it affects gameplay:
Now you can't have it all. You
can no longer be a 'jack of all trades'.
Nobody can be MacGyver AND Rambo AND Bear Grylls rolled into one survivor that everyone seems to be today. You are
forced to specialize
. What you decide to keep defines your survival strategy. For example: Your decision of whether to keep ranged defenses with a stock of ammo, or more practical survival items like an axe or hunting knife dictates that you either require
protection from other players,
or help with
subsistence
. Axe and hunting knife vs ranged weapons are just one example of how this could play out.

Change 3: Make backpacks very rare...even the ones we now have by default

Why it makes sense:
They probably would be relatively hard to find.

How it affects gameplay
:
Anyone with a backpack is essentially VIP! The most sought-after targets. The 'creme de la creme'. Someone who is able to survive as a
lone wolf
, or take responsibility of carrying a group's
most valued survival posessions-
like map/compass/food/water/bandages/firewood/etc, so that the rest of the members can concentrate solely on
defending
the group

I would go on, but I'm sure you can all see where I'm going with this. Thanks for reading!

Edited by LogicRising

I think we should have more inventory. Or make certain items stackable. Bandages, magazines, lee-enfield clips, matches, painkillers, morphine/epi-pen should all be stackable since they are small items. If you divided a backpack into even amounts of space like in this game, a bandage obviously wouldnt fill the entire space like a can of food or water bottle would. Its not hard to make like 10 mags of handgun, 2 sodas, 2 food cans, many bandages, painkillers, matches, lights, etc. etc. into a school backpack. You could fit a month or two worth of supplies into a larger pack for hiking.

I believe we should continue to start out with a backpack and backpacks should be more common. Everyone has a school backpack or at least some sort of bag you can carry on you at home.

We should also have more inventory in general. Other than the backpack and the vest your guy wears (for the mag and bandage inv.) what about pants pockets or even secondary pouches? I can fit a handgun in the pocket of my jeans, as well as many mags or other flat objects in the front or back pockets. I can fit tons more in cargo pants.

As far as the toolbelt... leave it. Carrying around matches, a hatchet, flashlight, knife, watch (which shouldnt be in here, it goes on your body), map, compass, or even entrenching tool isnt unrealistic at all. Half those items weigh next to nothing and are small. I do disagree with the toolbox thing though. It seems too big for a survival game where you carry around everything. It also doesnt take a toolbox to set up barb wire. That requires gloves...

There certainly shouldn't be MORE inventory space. The way the game is right now, after about 2 hours of scavenging you have enough supplies to last the next 6 hours of play. There's no more motivation to go into town and risk zombies at this point. It's better just to do nothing. So why play the game? Hmm...I guess it would be less boring if I started stalking people and murdering them for no reason because I don't need more supplies.

I seriously can't imagine how anyone could possibly think the game needs more inventory space, or would be more fun with more inventory space.

There is one thing that satisfies me somewhat in this whole discussion, that is the somewhat masochistic nature of DayZ, and looking at the various nerf's that starting equipement got through development stages it's way more likely that stuff gets reduced as opposed to increased. Esp. if items start to stack to a certain point, f/e a few painkillers in a box, or having a box of ammo from which you fill magazines. Rocket will notice that these things make the game easier in regards to inventory management and the easiest fix is to just reduce the amount of slots :) ... also, he seems to call it an 'experiment' so experimenting with the least amount of slots needed for this game is a good step forward to continue the experiment :)

Give the items weight and volume like in ACE, this will prevent players running around like a one man army and would add to the "realism" of the game. Travel light travel fast. What we need is a place to store bulky items.

wtf is wrong with the fonts?? small big wtf...

I agree that would be a great idea, better than decreasing the space.

Less weight means faster running, more weight is slow.... Man great idea :D

That idea is not new unfortunatly i hope it somehow implemented into the game. It was just funny the time i played ACE because a fellow player from another clan ran around and forgot he had 6 .50 ammo boxes in his backpack. I don't know the weight anymore, the funny thing is he ran a couple of meters then collapsed and couldn't move for another 5 minutes or so. Makes you think thrice if you really want to take a 20kg sniper rifle or 17kg of supplies and 3kg rifle and ammo in order to survive in days :D

Yeah the weight idea is currently under reconstruction, something went wrong with it and it's dissappeared... the link above should point you back to a new thread though, i am just not entirely done with the OP...

I totally agree with the underlying idea that your inventory and your gear is what makes your character.

What I don't get, is that people don't see that we already have a weight system in place. An Item simply takes up more slots, like a primary weapon, a tent and firewood do. This is a weight system and doesn't require any special fancy coding. There is no need to make it more complicated.

The only thing that I would make changes in is the toolbelt. As this is now something that I never have full. But that this is also 'easily' fixed with assigning more slots to certain items.

Balancing issues aside. There is no need to fiddle with inventory space or assigning weight to items. The whole thing can be solved by assigning a number of slots to all items.

In basic I had to carry five M16's on my back during a ruck march. We were doing simulated "deaths" and when someone died people had to carry them and someone had to carry the weapons. I was charged with weapons. It was uncomfortable but completely possible to carry my own ruck + weapon (50-75lbs) + their weapons. To assume people in this game can't carry more than one weapon on their back, or carry a few can of beans, is nuts!

@Point&Click, well what about you read my weight suggestion and just the first few paragraphs if you don't feel like reading a lot. There is a profound difference between weight and size...

@Barronism, Well we are just happy campers that work 9-5 that just happened to have washed a shore during the zombie apocalypse, so why would we be able to carry anything more than our briefcase with ease ?

@Barronism, Well we are just happy campers that work 9-5 that just happened to have washed a shore during the zombie apocalypse, so why would we be able to carry anything more than our briefcase with ease ?

How do we all know how to fix cars? Correctly shoot firearms? Especially long range rifles from 1+ KM? Properly give blood transfusions, morphine, and epinephrine? This list goes on.

Why do us average 9-5 people have a backpack if we're just washing to shore? Flashlight? Painkillers? I doubt your average guy carries around painkillers and a flashlight everywhere,

I think it's safe to say, in the current state of the mod, we are not your average 9-5 guy. I mostly agree with your ideas, but please think about things like this as well before you reply.

Current state of the mod, this is simply not true. Maybe it will become more true with the game. I don't know. I'm sure you don't, either. I personally hope we do become more average, and able to learn how to do things properly by having a chance for things to be improperly done and learning from those mistakes.

Edited by Dartendal