deadlyslob (DayZ)

More Zombies But Make Them Slower

Good idea, I just made my own post about it when I saw someone already made one.

The zombies need to be slower, but it much larger groups, and that's what makes the zombies dangerous.

Folks bump this so everyone can see it!

I like it but if they added more zombies to make up for the speed, how would this effect perfomance? The game already has performance issues. Wouldn't adding more zombies make it worse?I would like to see a few zombies that "Run" but not like they are running a marathon.

Yes.

There is already a problem with too much ammunition and PVP so this would balance it out PERFECTLY.

Me me likes dis.

Yes.

There is already a problem with too much ammunition and PVP so this would balance it out PERFECTLY.

Me me likes dis.

I really think matters of ammunition and PVP are probably regional... i.e. I don't see a lot of ammo/relevant weapons and/or PVP near the coasts or "down south"... having not survived more than a few hours at a time, I can't speak for what is in the big cities and/or the north, but I can certainly say that finding a gun let alone another player is usually a big deal...

yea this got buried by a bunch of awful suggestions on how to "fix" bandits and stuff bumping

Edited by RoboSheriff

After watching the video again. I actually agree, I like the slower stumbling zombie.

1. Make ALOT! more in cities and a bunch of straglers in wilderness areas.

2. Make them strong (5-10 bullets to kill)

3. Headshot is instant kill.

DOO IT.

I agree with the George Romero approach. Slow zombies, headshots to kill, and more of them. This would make the game more about scavenging and interacting with other players than freaking out and putting down super zombies left and right to get a can of pepsi.

A herd of slow, shambling zombies becomes more of a deadly, gnashing obstacle than a group of a few 200kmph super zeds (which become an entirely annoying and troublesome sport). It's not about increasing or decreasing difficulty, it's about changing the difficulty. Modern shooters have trained us to land a couple shots on a fast-moving (incredibly human target) in the center of mass, but no game gives us a small amount of ammo, a large amount of zombies, and the DECISION to confront them. The super zombies need to be ran from or killed. Period. Slow zombies could be dodged around,avoided entirely, or picked off by a skilled marksman. The challenge would come from the risk/reward of using limited resources to effectively combat an unlimited enemy.

• Like 1

I love the idea.

As mentionend by another poster, the zombies atm are more freaks, fast as hell, able to blink-port as it seems and way to mobile.

Give em speed as in the vid, make them much tougher (need more body shots to kill, headshots should be 1 hit - kill) and increase their number, espec in cities. Oh, and let them be "fast" in buildings too.

That would having pve servers (which I favor) reasonable too, I would just love to gather some fellow survivors and then try to clear a village/town from the infected....

Just have to repeat cause its important to me:

This game needs more and better zombies. Especialy the bigger citys should have the streets crawling with them, not super fast but just so many that gunning them all down is just nno option for a single player. That way you would be forced to be quick on your feet, dashing from building to building, the horde at your heel, trying to grab what you can before fleeing into the wild again.

I really like the idea for making much more zombies with much slower speed just like the good old days zeds. It should be their numbers that makes the problems, not their superhuman abilities. In 1.7.2, even though the devs said that the zeds have less vision, they can see from miles away during the night and day, have inhumane hearing ability and also freaking speed. So, it would be good to make them vast in number while have degenerating abilities like animals, not superman.

Make the ammo and guns rarer with more melee weapons and the melee fighting ability against zeds. This way, people would think more before they spam their guns.

By making ammo/weapons rarer, I will kill more player since I will take ammo and weapons from others instead of looking around for it. Edited by Heradon
  • Like 1

I love the idea.

As mentionend by another poster, the zombies atm are more freaks, fast as hell, able to blink-port as it seems and way to mobile.

Give em speed as in the vid, make them much tougher (need more body shots to kill, headshots should be 1 hit - kill) and increase their number, espec in cities. Oh, and let them be "fast" in buildings too.

That would having pve servers (which I favor) reasonable too, I would just love to gather some fellow survivors and then try to clear a village/town from the infected....

Just have to repeat cause its important to me:

This game needs more and better zombies. Especialy the bigger citys should have the streets crawling with them, not super fast but just so many that gunning them all down is just nno option for a single player. That way you would be forced to be quick on your feet, dashing from building to building, the horde at your heel, trying to grab what you can before fleeing into the wild again.

Sounds pointless too me. I can have like 10 zombies in the game right now, i just run trough buildings and pick up what i need and keep running again. This way the zombies won't catch me and i also get rid of them. If you slow them down this will be wayyyy to easy. Hordes with zombies will bore me, then it won't be worth using ammunition on them, and i can walk past them anyway.. So why bother?

Something you said that zombies don't feel like the undead, well, that's because there not dead, there infected, so says rocket, so they still have all to motor skills of the living, though I do agree that zombies shouldn't shoot off like a rocket when you agro them but there is a reason behind this, its because zombie's or heh Rocket does not even like calling them zombies, instead he prefers Infected from what I've heard, anyways, the Infected, there AI and in most games, the AI works like this...

all through out the map, there a little sensors that detect players when they are near one of these, picture a large black and white checkerboard, that goes on and on forever, now picture each of the black squares are these sensors, now place building and objects all around, place a infected on one end of the buildings and objects and a player on the other side, in games the NPC, the infected in this case, has to figure out what the fastest path to get to where it is, to the player, so it can't just simply run a straight line to the player, there is objects in the way, so, it figures out how to get to the player by playing a little game of connect the dots, it starts at the sensor closes to it and then creates a path by connecting dot by dot, sensor by sensor, until it reaches the one that the player is next to, then takes the path but players don't usually stand still waiting for the zombie to get to it, so most of the time, the infected has to constantly re-connect the dots, the sensor,

sounds simple enough? Well, as we all know, the ground is not a flat forever going checkerboard, in fact, it has bumps hills, so and on and so forth, this causes those sensors to distort and not line up like you'd see on a checkerboard but zombies still uses these, so as the zombie goes after you, there is usually a sensor that cause the infected to veer off suddenly before it can get back onto a smoother path to you, when this happen, you gain space and a easy open chance to take out the Infected, so, to fix this, the zombies simply move a lot faster to make up for the veering off.

Sadly, there is no real way to fix this, apart from putting down more and more sensors, closer and closer to each other, problem with that, if sensors are too close, the infected start to be unable to decide between which sensor to connect the dots with, it'd cause Infected to jump from one to the other real fast causing a shaky stuttering, choppy movement, the only fix I could think of, is some how make these sensors work together a lot better, almost like putting a sensor with in a sensor but that seems like that'd be too much work for a computer, more then likely too much info for a computer to send to other players, I'm sure the computers can figure it out but that'd just be so much info going between computers that our internet connections more then likely couldn't keep up.

At least, that's what I've gathered.

But I do have to say, I love the animations in that video, I'd love a DayZ version that played like that video but if zombies moved that slow, it'd more then likely just be too easy, I mean, the only way that'd work is if there was a crazy number of Infected, like instead of walking into a small village and 20 infected spawn, it'd be more like 80 or 100 but then, if they have friends with them, you'd have to raise that from those numbers to double or close to, then that becomes a bit too much for our computers and or the server, so... Yeah...

There is my two cents.