Ishkabibble

Do non-PK servers exist?

And if so, could someone point me to them?

I can't play for 10 minutes before some cretin shoots me for existing.

No they do not. PK is an essential part of the DayZ experience. It would become so dull if I didn't have to keep questioning who I can trust and who I can't.

Best thing to do when you spawn is to get off the coast, sneak around more and try not to fire your gun. Gunfire carries a long way, so people around you can find you easily through that.

I wouldn't know but all I know is that PvP is going to stay in the game as stated by Rocket, but some servers might support a non-pvp effort in which may interest alot of players to go and obtain loot from there and go to another server. ... I'm starting to see why we don't have a toggleable PvP option or servers like these.

Stay away from large cities and get off the beach as fast as possible.

If you're not much into PvP, make it your own game to avoid other players. Move inside the treelines, instead of on the roads, listen for gunfire and change your direction. Find small villages for loot or a supermarket for survival equipment. If you have a waterbottle you can refill it by swimming in lakes. You can collect raw meat from wild animals with a hunting knife and make a fire place with matches and cook the meat.

Stay away from large cities and get off the beach as fast as possible.

If you're not much into PvP' date=' make it your own game to avoid other players. Move inside the treelines, instead of on the roads, listen for gunfire and change your direction. Find small villages for loot or a supermarket for survival equipment. If you have a waterbottle you can refill it by swimming in lakes. You can collect raw meat from wild animals with a hunting knife and make a fire place with matches and cook the meat.

[/quote']

But not everyone wants to lone wolf it in the north. 99% of the playerbase is god awful at "surviving". If I were to survive, I wouldn't run around cities shooting everything that moves like all of the little kiddies are doing now... I understand if you can't trust them, or if you see them do something violent or aggressive, but just going into towns to kill for no reason is terribly annoying.

I bet someone will reply to this stating I'm a "carebear". No I'm not, I liked the way the mod was before it got popular, but the influx of new players who don't know how to even play a game other than COD is fucking ridiculously annoying. Rant over. Heh.

The way I look at it is the players are the danger, not the zombies. My fun is the threat of players. Zombies are easy to dodge (well, unless it's pitch black :P). I think if there were more incentives to be a survivor and not kill other survivors then they'd be less "bandits".

Personally, I would never play on a server without PvP. And tbh players are easy to avoid too. You've got to be very patient and play smart. Avoid big towns, ram-sack small ones. Don't rush around, check every corner. Always check your back and every corner. Being paranoid is a good thing. It will keep you alive.

And if so' date=' could someone point me to them?

I can't play for 10 minutes before some cretin shoots me for existing.

[/quote']

PVP is essential to DayZ as others have mentioned, it's just not the same without it. I can see where it could be overwhelming for a newcomer, especially if you're new to the Arma series altogether. I ran across this mission earlier and wanted to say a few things concerning it. For one, I have no affiliation with the creator in any way. Two, I don't even know if it's legal to post things like this here, if not my apologies, it will never happen again. Lastly, I wouldn't get really comfy with it due to the fact you're missing a huge part of the game, the people.

-snip-

other players add the biggest part of the tension for me.

zombies are easily avoided, but with players they can spot you from any viewable distance and sneak up on you.

avoid open ground as much as possible, stay on the high ground and (cannot stress the importance of this enough) check your surroundings!

don't just run about aimlessly.. take a moment every so often and check ahead AND behind you. Plan your route and your cover.

Honest, once you get used to being able to survive, the game draws you into a whole new level.

MOVE AWAY FROM CHERNO AND ELEKTRO YOU NOOBS!

:D

The issue with adding servers without pvp would be that supplies could be farmed in the current game state, so other features such as npc bandits would need to be put in place. Non pvp servers would quickly become farming grounds for people to then jump onto other servers and go on rampages with all sorts of gear. I can partially understand people's argument regarding the anxiety it causes, you just want to get onto a game and have fun.

If you want to enjoy the game I can only give this advice: trust nobody (at least until you can defend yourself), be cautious and dont make it obvious to anybody where you are, unless they're friends you can trust. You'll meet trustworthy people eventually, but you need to survive long enough to bump into them :)

You may want to also consider taking a look at some servers that have a higher level than regular listed. Don't let the fact that it's a higher "difficulty" scare you off. Frequently this means that features like 3rd person mode and crosshairs are disabled along with names showing up under your crosshairs. What it means is that it takes away a lot of the metagaming assists that many bandits use on regular servers to spot you when they couldn't do it in real life. Ie - No peeking over a wall without actually having to look over that wall. No seeing you coming through grass or bushy cover by simply putting their crosshairs over you as you approach and seeing your name, etc.

The bad news is that bandits on "harder" servers tend to be more skilled. But it also means that there's often less of them. As many of the kiddy-bandits can't handle the loss of some of their required tools.

You may want to also consider taking a look at some servers that have a higher level than regular listed. Don't let the fact that it's a higher "difficulty" scare you off. Frequently this means that features like 3rd person mode and crosshairs are disabled along with names showing up under your crosshairs. What it means is that it takes away a lot of the metagaming assists that many bandits use on regular servers to spot you when they couldn't do it in real life. Ie - No peeking over a wall without actually having to look over that wall. No seeing you coming through grass or bushy cover by simply putting their crosshairs over you as you approach and seeing your name' date=' etc.

The bad news is that bandits on "harder" servers tend to be more skilled. But it also means that there's often less of them. As many of the kiddy-bandits can't handle the loss of some of their required tools.

[/quote']

This, for sure.

And of course, getting away from the coast, familiarizing yourself with the map and using lots of cover.

Use ALT to look around a lot, keep low, stay off of the top of ridges where you will show a silhouette. Basically, act stalked.

L

While I may believe PvP is an essential part of the game, I still think Non-PvP servers need to exist. Many are saying that eventually in this mod each server will have its own database, so all your equipment will stay strictly on that particular server. This will prevent cross-server exploitation. That way everyone is happy and the mod will cater to a much wider audience.

Non-PvP servers will more than likely exist, but not yet.

Another thing, although off-topic of this thread, giving each server its own database also opens the door to personal servers. I would love to play on public servers as well as run my own server with my friends, as long as everything stayed independent.