I'm looking to join a group united states players in a group. I'm new but i learn super quick i've been solo all day. Running with cz and a markov still. Self sustaining and will listen to commands.

I believe you're looking for the sub-forum Survivor's HQ unless you plan to go on the ways of a bandit. Depending on what server you may play on they may have a Teamspeak/vent/mumble of some sort.

Sorry about that. I'm looking for a group to play with that uses voip to group together and live. I play on us servers so far on us texas 2 and then us 11.

I suggest finding their threads on this forum and seeing if they have their own VOIP Server, maybe the people in their VOIP server can help you out?

The game has a built-in VOIP as well, which I think is way superior to any TeamSpeak/Mumble/Ventrilo. While it's not superior by it's quality, the built-in VOIP has a "direct communication" channel, in which you hear the voice in 3D space coming from the person who is speaking. You can also see his lips moving when he speaks, and voice fades over distance realistically. This makes it much more immersive than an external voice chat program.

We use this in-game VOIP with the group I play with. Unfortunately it doesn't work perfectly at the moment. It works most of the time if you all spawn next to each other in the game. So, if you meet up with someone, all you have to do is go back to game lobby and reconnect, and you have good chances the direct communication VOIP works.

Generally Direct Comm is broken until the next patch coming into Arma II, but with Teamspeak it may be easier to manage and have higher quality along with a built-in overlay to support it too. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion and things so if teamspeak isn't for them? They don't have to use it.

Yes, ArmA 2 developers are working on a fix which hopefully will fix the problems with the built-in voice chat's direct communication channel.

The quality of built-in voice chat depends on a server's vonCodecQuality setting (server can set it between 1 and 10). On higher settings, 7 and above, the quality is quite good.

TeamSpeak is a good option too, but for those who want maximum immersion, direct communication is probably the best choice.

Direct channel is a bit of a hit and miss.

And using any other channel broadcasts to everybody on the server, which is pretty annoying, when you're listening for moans in the dark. For a team experience an external voice program is mandatory.

Yes, I can't wait to actually start using this to my advantage in hopes that I can communicate to people better. First time I played I ended up trying to talk to a survivor that passed me by saying into my mic "Freeze!" and he just kept on walking ignoring me entirely.

In the end, I got sniped by a bandit following him.

You are doing it wrong

The game has a built-in VOIP as well' date=' which I think is way superior to any TeamSpeak/Mumble/Ventrilo. While it's not superior by it's quality, the built-in VOIP has a "direct communication" channel, in which you hear the voice in 3D space coming from the person who is speaking. You can also see his lips moving when he speaks, and voice fades over distance realistically. This makes it much more immersive than an external voice chat program.

We use this in-game VOIP with the group I play with. Unfortunately it doesn't work perfectly at the moment. It works most of the time if you all spawn next to each other in the game. So, if you meet up with someone, all you have to do is go back to game lobby and reconnect, and you have good chances the direct communication VOIP works.

[/quote']

Due to several technical issues that ARMA has with the DayZ mod as well as other factors related to how VOIP works in game, the method in which you choose to communicate with your group is inferior to the other options that are currently available via third party products.

You are doing it wrong

What do you mean?

Due to several technical issues that ARMA has with the DayZ mod as well as other factors related to how VOIP works in game' date=' the method in which you choose to communicate with your group is inferior to the other options that are currently available via third party products.[/quote']

In the last couple of days, we've managed several times to get direct comms work with everyone in the group. I find it much more immersive, and it provides better situational awareness as you can hear the direction and distance of the speaker. For example if I hear someone from 20 meters on my right yelling "Zombie close" or "I need help!", that gives me more information than someone saying the same over Teamspeak. We do use Teamspeak too, particularly if one of the members can't hear the direct comms.

So the matter of being superior or inferior depends on what you want from the VOIP. For me immersion is important, so direct comms (when working) is the best option. For someone who doesn't care as much about immersion, external voice program is the best option. When you meet strangers in the game, direct comms, when it is fixed, will be a great way to communicate.

Anyways my purpose of mentioning the in-game VOIP and direct comms was not to debate whether it is inferior or superior to external voice programs. I just wanted to let the OP know (since he seemed to be specifically interested in VOIP) that there is a built-in solution too.