She'llberight

Safe zone/town in DayZ

Im aware this should be in the suggestions forum but I can't post there so I'll post here.

I'd like to see a safe town in DayZ where there are no zombies and players can't friendly fire.

This would be a good place to meet up with like minded players and/or trade goods.

It would still be realistic as it would be like a town that has been reclaimed from the zombies.

What do you think of this idea?

I think it sort of ruins the point of the game, but I also think that if there was one, people would camp outside the town and wait for you to leave, then kill you for your newly traded stuff.

• Like 4

I think it sort of ruins the point of the game, but I also think that if there was one, people would camp outside the town and wait for you to leave, then kill you for your newly traded stuff.

Excellent point.

The only way this could happen is if an organization of players could create and enforce it themselves, which I'm totally all about. The down side is that it would give a clear target to other players who wish to tear it down for fun.

Also, at the present state of Day Z, this zone would only be on one server, unless that organization had enough players to establish it on several.

• Like 1

There are both good and bad from this suggestion. It has been asked many times before hand, all of the times rejected. But I do believe that it could be a good idea if thought of and made well. True, people can camp and kill you on exit. So what, shit happens. You take the risk by entering the town, same as a zombie infested one. Either way, there's a chance of dieing. But you risk it for the chance ,on the other hand.. of survival.I personally (as one of the first people to suggest this idea, around a month and a half ago) think this idea could bring a new game style to the tabel. Possibly not a big ton be the safe area, but a rather remote small village with just a small shop and a few houses. Possibly something would be able to be done with these houses? Perhaps hirable by a npc or real player who owns the town, as a base of operations? Just an idea.

• Like 1

It could be NPC enforced kinda like the system EVE uses. For those that don't know about Eve, in "Protected Space" If you do aggressive movement against other players you still can but NPC turrets and other "space police" will hunt you down and kill you. And yes people do sit out side the trade routes and try to kill out going players. its something you have to design around. I think Dayz Could get alot from using features present in EVE becasue even though they are wildly different the core gameplay trys to focus on interactions between players in a laissez-faire fashion.

Personally I would love it, but realistically I just see trolls/bandits encircling the town(s) and bombarding it with grenades and chopper strafing runs. :C

Im aware this should be in the suggestions forum but I can't post there so I'll post here.

I'd like to see a safe town in DayZ where there are no zombies and players can't friendly fire.

This would be a good place to meet up with like minded players and/or trade goods.

It would still be realistic as it would be like a town that has been reclaimed from the zombies.

What do you think of this idea?

Meh,

We all survived the last nine weeks with out a sesame street. Dont really think its needed. The game is hard, you can learn to survive.

• Like 4

If you watch Rocket's presentation at Rezzed (Google it, it's worth it), he discusses, not a safe zone, but basically player-constructed bases underground.

How they would work with friendly fire isn't addressed (but in the past safe zones have been discounted), but they would be intstanced, meaning no-one could server hope and go on a gun-crazy rampage (the other factor which makes safe zones impossible atm).

It's coming - but, like a huge chunk of DayZ - it's a case of 'watch this space'.

Personally, I think the game needs a hub inside it for players to meet and make plans. Out in the wild it's shoot on sight, and to a certain extent DayZ has ... well, not failed, exactly, but, is being ... let's say ... is being limited by its player base. IMHO.

I'm not sure why everyone wants to KoS. Gear is not difficult to come by, and the game is much more fun - and easier now we have better zombies post 1.7.2 - when you play in a group.

Perhaps people are just conditioned by previous games? I think that's got something to do with it.

Edited by Bottlerocket
  • Like 1

I think this would be nice IF the players could build something like this themselves, you know?

For example, a big clan decided to make a camp where people could trade, but it would be like every other place in the map, friendly fire enabled and everything else.

No safe zones. Ever. I wouldn't mind setting aside an area for players to build trading posts, but to take away "friendly fire"? No thanks. There always needs to be a risk of betrayal or else this game fails.

• Like 1

I would much rather a group of players get together and call the shots in a town. Set up there own patrols and posted guards rather than having a computer dictated environment. I enjoy having no safe zone. It make things more... real.

Yeah, this is already happening on a small scale across certain servers. People are walling off areas with Barbed wire, sand bags and Tank Traps to establish base areas. Some are simply making the good loot inaccessible, but I think there are a few who are using it in a less annoying fashion to simply cut off points of entry into a certain area. That way, they know where they're gonna have to watch (Presuming any incoming people don't have a toolbox).

As long as they fix ghosting and player structures (fences) are actually working there will 100% be trading hubs set up by players and that's the way it should be.

Right now it won't really happen, because you can just switch servers, run to where the trading hub is, log back to the server it's on and end up inside the fences so it's not possible to have a player policed safe area.

Me and some friends have been talking about this subject. We came to the conclusion that it wouldnt work. Bandits would simply camp the place or mug anyone coming out of it. We were talking about a special server where the map was just restricted to one town and noone could fire. But then we almost simultaneously said, what are we going to trade... You can find anything in the game with a bit of effort and you cant take vehicles with you so...

Unless some changes are made to the game, bartering towns are useless for now.

I will have to check out Rocket's presentation, but something they pondered on Weekend Confirmed was the idea of players creating and maintaining zombie free zones themselves - rather than having a "safe zone" permanently, players could, if they worked at it, establish areas free of infestation through the placement of the appropriate fences and defensive perimeters, maintained by continuous player occupation... which then makes me think about how this could become a dynamic with infection. If you create safezones dependent on player vigilance/maintenance, it makes the tension and fear for losing that "safety" if some player corpses spawn zombies... I dunno, I'm probably reinventing the wheel someone else has thought of before. But that was my thought.

The main problem with this player create safe-area-paradise-thing is that people don't want to spend hours of their day standing around at a gate, looking for zombies or bandits. At this point, it literally becomes a job. It'll be fun for about two hours or so, until the "guards" get tired of guarding, and the traders get tired of standing around doing nothing.

The main problem with this player create safe-area-paradise-thing is that people don't want to spend hours of their day standing around at a gate, looking for zombies or bandits. At this point, it literally becomes a job. It'll be fun for about two hours or so, until the "guards" get tired of guarding, and the traders get tired of standing around doing nothing.

Sometimes neither is spawning with nothing and having to run/twenty minutes or crawl for 30 minutes trying to get to a loot structure only to find nothing... or an hour running to another map point, only to die... but a player maintained safe zone WOULD be realistic. I think the best way for something "safe" in DayZ to exist (semi-permanently) is to have it come at the price of some sort of player engagement/maintenance if it were to happen at all...

Sometimes neither is spawning with nothing and having to run/twenty minutes or crawl for 30 minutes trying to get to a loot structure only to find nothing... or an hour running to another map point, only to die... but a player maintained safe zone WOULD be realistic. I think the best way for something "safe" in DayZ to exist (semi-permanently) is to have it come at the price of some sort of player engagement/maintenance if it were to happen at all...

You seemed to miss my point. It wasn't that it shouldn't happen, but that it won't, because people aren't going to give their time to stand around doing nothing. Also, if you don't like having to crawl around to get loot and whatnot, DayZ is not for you.

I personally think its not too realistic. Even if the town was reclaimed from zombies, how does that stop a bullet from penetrating a fellow survivors head?

Also, as mentioned all the campers and it would just be abused, people would run for miles off just to get to the town after luring a whole town of zombies away, then quickly make there way around the zombies and back to the city for easy looting.

It's just a bad combination of good intentions and no way to fairly implement.

Edited by BobofTibia

A trading server? No shooting, no camping, just trading. It wouldnt have to be all that large... just spitballing.

You seemed to miss my point. It wasn't that it shouldn't happen, but that it won't, because people aren't going to give their time to stand around doing nothing. Also, if you don't like having to crawl around to get loot and whatnot, DayZ is not for you.

Rest safely assured that if someone tried to establish a safezone outpost in DayZ the guards of that outpost would be quite busy and have very little time to "stand around doing nothing."

The place would be under constant assault both from without the borders by hostile forces and from within by spies and infiltrators.

It would be a magnet for activity.

Nobody would be bored.

A trading server? No shooting, no camping, just trading. It wouldnt have to be all that large... just spitballing.

Welcome to the forums.

No.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

I apologize for not being clear on what I meant. Essentially, I was proposing that any sort of "safe zone" - if we do have one/need one (which is an entirely different argument and one in which I would probably say we don't need one), needs to be player driven and maintained. Should it be easy? No. Would it happen frequently? No. Should it? No. But IF it were going to happen, it'd need to have some kind of associative costs/price to maintain... honestly, I don't think a "safe" zone, at this point in time serves a lot of purpose either.

As for crawling, yeah, it can be frustrating at times, but it doesn't mean the game "isn't for me"... I just go do something else or decide to just be a little reckless and see what happens. ;) A fresh spawn has little to lose!