rosaparxxx

What did I do wrong?

.Here was the situation: It's just turning dusk, I spawn in after the 1.7.2 patch with nothing and my friends tell me to come help them in Elektro. Naturally, I went to go help the situation like any friend would and here's where the fun begins:

I'm coming from the hills to the north of Elektro directly into the supermarket to try to get some sort of supplies. I manage to find random equipment, binoculars, and a Winchester 1866. Now that I have gear, I tell my friends over Vent that I'm ready to help. Two of my friends (we'll call them (a) and (b)) inform me that there's a sniper in the hills over watching Elektro and that they have been shot while they were atop the hospital. Not only shot, but both of them bleeding out and unconscious. To make it worse it just turned pitch black.

At this point I have a basic plan: book it south down the road from the supermarket to the hospital, bust the windows and get the supplies to

heal my buds.

I easily accomplish that, but now I have to get to the roof where a sniper could be potentially watching. So, I decide immediately that I care for my friends deeply and I sprint towards the ladder. Strangely, I make it onto the secondary/largest roof of the hospital, where I can heal (b), with minimal problem from the sniper. (b) starts yelling over Vent, "Fucking heal me!" I reply,"It's pitch black I'm looking for your name." I manage to find him pretty quick and I fix him up nicely.

This is when the situation takes a dip: After healing (b) he quickly gets up in crouch position, pulls out his Dinner Bell, screams over Vent,"I see that son of a bitch!" and starts popping off rounds at a hill to the North-East of us.

I tell (b) to cool his shit before the sniper realizes we're up here so I can go help (a), but it's too late: CRACK, the bullet whizzes by me and lights a spark on the roof directly in front of me. This pisses me off because I know (a) is on a roof below me bleeding out and now I'm stuck up here with (b). (b)'s plan of action was to bob up and down and fire shots at the sniper while I hide. This lasted about 10 seconds until the sniper landed a hit and broke (b)'s leg. I start to panic, I get up and scroll wheel over (b)'s body and decide to transfuse him so he can live longer while I fix him up. But, yet again it was too late. As I'm transfusing, I hear, CRACK, this bullet whizzes by me again, but instead of just missing, this bullet enters (b)'s head killing him instantly. I freak out, get

up and run around the roof dodging bullets and trying to get (b)'s stuff, and then dart towards the ladder to finally give aid to (a).

God, must of been watching over me because the sniper never hit me and I made it to (a), but yet again i fumbled around in the darkness looking for him. Luckily, I find him and fix him up right as he is about to die. So, now the situation has cooled down, but me and (a) are pinned by the sniper.

This is where my other friends,(c,d,and e), come into play: They now know of the sniper's position on the hill and decide to help. ©, (d), and (e) get themselves armed very lightly with 2 hatchets and a Makarov and charge up the hill.

I only know partially what went on up on that hill, but ultimately (c,d, and e) got killed. But they managed, to kill the sniper and find out that he wasn't alone.

Now that the sniper is dead, me and (a) clamber down the ladder into the street and take off about 100 meters into the woods East of Elektro.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That was about 1 third of what happened, I'll post the rest of what happened later, but for the time being give me some feedback. I need to know what I could have been done differently too help the situation. I'm fairly new to DayZ and I want some tips from the vets.

• Like 1

A lot of things man. You're going to find yourself in that situation again and again.

First off, you have dumb friends. I do too so I know how it feels. Your buddy shouldn't have started firing until all three of you were patched up and relocated.

Then, you were on a night time server without any way to see. There are plenty of tips and tricks and some call them cheating so use them at your own discretion.

You chose to transfuse your dumb buddy rather than leave him behind.

A sniper was in the area and you exposed yourself.

What FunkyHermitCrab said.

That was a cool story to read, most people would've just disconnected. It's nice that you and your buddies tried to fight back.

This.

You probably did what was best, you saved your buds and killed one of the snipers. The only thing I can think of that you could have possibly done wrong is to always assume there is more than one hostile. I always assume there's at least 2 players when being shot at. Avoid high threat PvP areas unless you're looking for a fight/think the rewards are worth it.

Like I said in the last post, Everyone died except for me and (a). Here's what went on when we were in the woods:

Once, they all died and me and (a) were in the woods my friends over Vent piped up," You guys need to go to the hill the sniper was on and find his friend, NOW!" So me and (a) book it towards the hill through the woods, but as soon as we come out we catch a glimpse of someone running from the hill disappearing into Elektro, and it wasn't one of us. (a) isn't feeling particularly cocky so we set up on the hill that is now ours. I have binoculars, (a) has a rifle and we take up overwatch while (b,c,d, and e) respawn and come back into town. They say there headed to the school/office building that's southeast of the Supermarket. I switch my vision to the school and the words finish coming out of my mouth as my friends enter the building,"There's someone on the roof!" At this point, (a) starts taking potshots and it scares the guy into the building. Me and (a) watch the school and see flashes of light that we can only imagine is a fire fight inside the school between an unidentified rifleman and my friends who found more hatchets and a pistol. This went on for a couple seconds until the person we saw leaves the building through a side door and runs out of sight. I guess no shots had landed at all because my friends said they were okay.

This is when the heat picks up again: (b,c,d, and e) decide to not stay in the school so they start running to wards the Supermarket. Like the good overwatchmen I am, I pan over to the Supermarket and notice that the rifleman that took off is now in the back parking lot. I yell over vent,"Contact, behind Supermarket! Go through the Supermarket and surprise him!" They must of had something else in mind and ran towards the back lot. I tell (a) to take his final shot to help the idiots down there and of course he misses. But, like it did before, it scared the guy into the supermarket. My friends make it to the lot as the guy runs into the Supermarket. I don't know what they were thinking, but all four of them charge in after them. Once again, me and (a) watch the Supermarket light up and hear distant player screams. Luckily, none of my friends died and they managed to hack up the rifleman. But, I guess they got banged up because they decided to split up and go to the hospital. (b,c, and d) went to the hospital and (e) went to take up refuge in the school awaiting their return. It was at this point when (a) pulled out his sidearm and we took off into town because overwatch was pointless when we lost sight of them. On our way down, there was screams over Vent and tons of excitement. As me and (a) walked up into town we got the story: Apparently, (d) ran into the hospital first with a hatchet and killed someone named Ian looting the place and his friend ran off.

Me and (a) make it inside the building on the east side and go hide in a room on our left as we take a second to ask what's going on. We find out that we're all going to meet upstairs so (a) goes out the door and up the stairs. As he does that some unarmed man runs into the room with me screaming friendly over comms. Then, I come to notice that his name was Ian. I think to myself he must have just respawned. Knowing that my friend had killed him once, I put five Winchester rounds in his head just to be sure and then head upstairs.

I make it upstairs with (a and e) and run to the end of the West hallway and drop prone watching the stairs. (b,c, and d) say that they'll be there shortly when suddenly someone runs up the stairs popping off rounds at my friends and he breaks (e)'s leg. Luckily, my friends came in after him and started axe'ing him questions and I put a bullet through him to make it quicker.

Now all my friends and I are in one place. We start looting the bodies and gearing up and just as we start to head down the stairs to get the hell out of there shots come flying through the windows from the fire station a couple blocks away. Immediately (b and c) go down. (a) runs into the hall to help and he to is immediately dropped. Then me and (e) go to help and he's dropped and I make it into a room safely. So now it's me and (d) in there all alone. I start hearing footsteps coming up the stairs and I know it's not (d) because he's hiding is some other room. Then, I put myself in the corner of the room with whatever sidearm I had at the time pointed towards the door.

This is the crazy part: the sniper we killed earlier respawned, armed himself and ran into the room I was in. I broke his leg with the first shot, he drops prone and my next shot misses. He quickly takes me out with a couple bullets to the head. At that point I just logged and went to sleep.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I laid there trying to go to sleep I couldn't help but think that the man in the window of the fire station was the man that got away from us on the hill and he planned an assault on us for vengeance with his friend. I guess I'll just never know never know.

What are your guys' thoughts? Any ideas that I could have done to maybe survived?

Edited by Durken
  • Like 1

Good read and a pretty crazy adventure. Love it how (B) sees a sniper in pitch darkness lol

Good read and a pretty crazy adventure. Love it how ( :cool: sees a sniper in pitch darkness lol

He had turned his gamma up he later told me how to do so

Rule number 1 when entering Elecktro, check the hills!

There is ALWAYS a sniper there, it is such a sweet spot to be in if your a sniper as zombies dont spawn so if you see them you know its related to someone else and you have a huge view range, so there is always going to be a sniper or few there, sneak up behind them and axe um! XD

I usually get shot when going into Elecktro. That is why I never go there except when I really need supplies. But I usually just camp in little buildings along the northern parts of the map. I can find enough raiding bandit and survivor camps in that area. It is quiet enough, if you find a good place. But bandits love it up there, as they can use vehicles to get around. So I just camp in that area, raiding camps, killing most all. I usually play alone, or with 1 or 2 others. We live up there. Just letting you know that area is a very good survival zone, if you play it right.

What happened to D after you died and logged out?

Died or something? Idk I just rage quit and didn't ask questions the next day

Looks like you got yourself into an intense firefight, my tip: check your surroundings, find useful cover even if no-one is engaging you, that sniper was probably on the hills with his ghillie suit plus it was just about night time so it would of been harder to locate him. Your friends could of been more experienced and made good decisions as a team, but oh well.

Good read!! I'd say don't go to Elektro or Cherno when you first spawn, head north and get tooled up. The only reason we ever end up in Cherno is for the hospital supplies, we are in and out and usually have some sort of overwatch. Even then we would rather head to Berezino. There is just such a high concentration of players on that coast and they're open season for a guy with an M107. It seems you held yourself pretty well, the guy with the Enfield totally exacerbated the whole situation. Pitch black darkness? I'd say the sniper had NVG's and a scope. Popping off Enfield rounds in his general direction is just gonna make him giggle.

As for what did you do wrong? I'd say next time be the guy in the hills with NVG's firing the DMR or whatever he was wielding.

B seems like an idiot who doesn't know how to react properly in situations.

I'd ditch him, he pulls a lot of attention.

I'd say don't go to Elektro or Cherno when you first spawn, head north and get tooled up.

That's the safe way, but I have so many crazy adventures when I go into town. Not to long ago I was chased up and down an industrial pier by a jeep until I got sniped.

Good story, plus, a person like (B) needs to chill. You have to be very slow going for this kinda game. I lov reading these stories

Should've pulled out after you got to the hill and failed to find the sniper's gear. That was already a pretty serious firefight, and if there was a competent sniper with friends around they were bound to regroup and snipe you from somewhere else safe. You were doomed to being outgunned eventually, and the only thing you needed to pick up before heading out into the wider world was a hatchet.

Also, I wouldn't ditch B just yet. His suicidal tendencies and decisiveness would make him an excellent pointman. Maybe. Might be best as the second one in line. Really all he'd need to do is run in and spray to cover the pointman/clean up while point draws fire. Probably don't want him deciding when to move in either.

Edited by Somepants

Never go to the roofs. That's when things went wrong in the first place.

There are almost always snipers on the hills near cherno and elektro on any populated servers, so the roofs are simply a deathtrap. (And quite often, its not just a single guy, its a group of bandits)

If you really must go to the roof (really desperate for the med supplies, better do it fast and only risk a single person). And at least try to take a look around at the hills before going to the roofs. Also, you'll be easy targets on the roof, even from the ground level when you stand up / climb at the ladders - so you'll just end up getting trapped on the roof if someone sees you and you don't have people on the ground to help.

If your friends were stuck on the roof while still possibly under the enemy scope, you should have just told them to try to get down from there and then give them blood on the ground where it is safe. If they aren't able to get down without being shot by the sniper, then how will you going up to the roof change anything? (Other than you getting shot too, probably.)

If they bleed to death on the roof without your help, then they had screwed up by not carrying bandages. (And unless they happen to go unconscious for a relatively long time, it'll take you nearly as long to climb up as it takes for them to wake up by themselves, so probably not that much difference in the bleeding time anyway.)