Sign in to follow this  
suprmn4105

HFB Server Hosting for DayZ?

I am looking to host my own DayZ server. After doing some searching, I have come across many options. HFB Servers is one option. They have a plan customized for DayZ hosting, but utilize a shared instance style (not VPS) of hosting for DayZ. I have not used this kind of hosting before and was hoping to find another server admin that is or has used this hosting server?

Shared instance? How'd that work?

Afaik; each idividual server would need it's own unique IP along with an instance ID to be accepted and whitelisted. These plans are probably shared in a sense that they're virtualized machines.

I was HFB's first (if not, then second) customer and continue to rent my managed server through them. I highly recommend them.

Edited by reersh9

When you order shared DayZ hosting you're getting a single DayZ server that's hosted on a dedicated server that we (HFB) owns. The "shared" part of this is that the dedicated server is shared between different customers, each with their own DayZ server. You seem to know what a VPS is so I'll give you an example using those.

Think of the shared DayZ server like a VPS. You would have multiple VPS nodes on a single server box.

All servers get a unique instance as the instance is the map, but certain servers share the same dedicated box.

When you order shared DayZ hosting you're getting a single DayZ server that's hosted on a dedicated server that we (HFB) owns. The "shared" part of this is that the dedicated server is shared between different customers, each with their own DayZ server. You seem to know what a VPS is so I'll give you an example using those.

Think of the shared DayZ server like a VPS. You would have multiple VPS nodes on a single server box.

Adam is the one I spoke with from HFB, and I was looking for a description similar to that. To clarify, the difference between this type of DayZ instance hosting and true VPS being that all instances share an OS and there is no RDP/root level access to the system?

That's exactly correct. You'll have FTP access to your own server, but everything you need to do can be accomplished through the control panel.

Any chance of adding Rcon to the admin panel?

Works nice with the other host I use (I use you too).

The Control Panel has a web console.

You can also set a RCON password by using the File Manager to navigate to "BEServer_activeXXX.cfg" which is located in "cfgdayz/BattlEye" and adding "rconpassword [password]" to the file If you do not have the file then create one called BEServer.cfg and add the rconpassword part. This will allow you to use the RCon GUI Tool, too.

Just make sure your server is stopped before making this change.

I don't have my own server yet, but from playing the game it appears that most of the HFB servers load slower (the receiving data, waiting on host, creating character, etc.) than the other hosting providers for some reason - just my perception so you may think otherwise. So, just from my personal experience, I'd personally chose another server provider just based on that alone.

Bubba, you're probably joining a server that's far from you.

Possibly, but I don't think that's it. I always sort by ping and play on the lowest latency servers. I said "most" as some of their servers are fast (maybe dedicated boxes?), but as a general rule, I find they do load slower than other hosting company's servers from some reason. Again, just my impression as a player. My suspicion is that it's the number of instances they run on a server or possibly their peering at some locations.

I guess what I'd recommend is that if you're looking for a hosting provider that, as a player, connect to several of their servers and just see what your general impression is and then come to your own conclusion. I already know the provider I'm going to use based on my experience of logging into dozens (probably over a 100) servers.

Edited by Bubba Jones

Possibly, but I don't think that's it. I always sort by ping and play on the lowest latency servers. I said "most" as some of their servers are fast (maybe dedicated boxes?), but as a general rule, I find they do load slower than other hosting company's servers from some reason. Again, just my impression as a player. My suspicion is that it's the number of instances they run on a server or possibly their peering at some locations.

I guess what I'd recommend is that if you're looking for a hosting provider that, as a player, connect to several of their servers and just see what your general impression is and then come to your own conclusion. I already know the provider I'm going to use based on my experience of logging into dozens (probably over a 100) servers.

Who would that be?

I've got two friends with HFB and they said its horrible. He never updates in a timely manner, and it takes days to reach him

Big fan of HFB however I have a dedicated server no VPS, I had an issue and they really did go the extra mile to assist me with my issue and I highly recommend them.

DJ

HFB customer for a month now, and it's been great. I recommend them. I'm in AUS, and I average 200ms, which to a US server is quite good.

People complaining about server (DayZ) updates - if you can't do it yourself, you're going to be in for a tough time. Although doing it yourself is easy. Super easy. HFB provides the latest DayZ updates linked from his website - all you have to do is download them and extract the files to the appropriate folder on your server, and you're done.

I don't like that I can't manage my server.cfg. Only portions. Finding another host.

Don't go with HFB. From what I understand they rent severs from ViLayer and re-host them. I had originally started with them, and they have horrible customer service. So I switched ViLayer and I was not disappointed. I highly recommend them.

Don't go with HFB. From what I understand they rent severs from ViLayer and re-host them. I had originally started with them, and they have horrible customer service. So I switched ViLayer and I was not disappointed. I highly recommend them.

I know for a fact that they do not re rent there US servers from vilayer. They do at least i think so for there EU servers which to be honest who cares.