DeadManDan

What do you think about non-hive servers?

Well, by all means... continue testing, GLADOS.

The rest of us are going to PLAY.

People like you don't even get the point of this project.

This is an alpha of a mod. It is not a finished game, it is no where near a game yet.

We are here to test the core functionality of what will one day BE a game.

This is also not one of those public "beta" publicity things where the game is finished and they are just looking for a playerbase.

We are here to test. It is that simple.

Go play some AAA shit.

This is an alpha of a mod. It is not a finished game, it is no where near a game yet.

This is also not one of those public "beta" publicity things where the game is finished and they are just looking for a playerbase.

Go play some AAA shit.

hahahahahahahahahahaahahaha

The joy of killing autists like you is the single greatest feature this game, yes, game, will ever have.

hahahahahahahahahahaahahaha

The joy of killing autists like you is the single greatest feature this game, yes, game, will ever have.

1 post.

Did you really just register a name so that you could make this comment?

Why do you feel the need to add nothing to the conversation and act like a dick?

If you want your own server on your own hive...make your own zombie survival mod. Otherwise it should be used as intended by the person who has invested a shit ton of time into making it. I don't understand the thinking that you can just do whatever you want with DayZ, it doesn't belong to you and you haven't done hardly anything to make it. By using a private server you are doing nothing to help the game and should be punched in the dick. Like I said, the answer to EVERY justification for private hive is for you to make your own mod and use whatever hive you want. But I doubt you could.

you realise that as for now this is a FREE mod for a game ? since u bought the game and you dont have (yet) to pay for dayz, u can do what ever the fuck you want. only thing to prevent shit like this is a closed beta/alpha with an nda etc...

going public and expecting ppl to stay on the road is just naive :X

• Like 1

Although the benifits of playing private servers sounds nice, I think playing the game under the devolopers terms is only fair while its still in alpha/beta. Im sure It goes a long way in helping them if you play in the enviroment they have setup for us. It gives them a better idea of what players are doing. At the same time, if you got people paying on these moddified servers and then reporting back bugs that didnt happen on an official up-to-date server, its just wasting the developers time.

Maybe in the near future they will allow server owners to choose wether or not thier "world" is independant from the rest, while still saving data to the Hive. Pro and cons of an off-site database are clear to most of us here. If the mod continues to be popular, I can see running a central database like that becoming expencive. Thats a good reason to move stuff server side.

Eithey way, ill stick to official servers. That gives me the option to avoid hackers, not get stuck on an out-of-date server when new content comes out, and if the server becomes bogged down, I can move to a new-one with what I have on me. Its a no brainer for me and it shows a bit of respect for getting a free game. That said, sometimes people dont have much time to enjoy a good game, and if the only time they can get on to play, the hive happens to be down, I wouldnt blame them for joining a private server.

I think they are shit. Very shit. They are rife with bandits and are constantly reset. Meaning everyone starts over. Hackers are all over them. I met a hacker on one and he spawned himself a huey just like that. He spawned me a m4a1 cco sd and i said wow thanks ! then shot him in the face and blew up the huey. Bad idea and its against the flow of the project.

Go play some AAA shit.

so hording all the vehicles, huge tent cites, camping high loot areas and killing everyone that comes near isn't selfish and doesn't hinder wider range of players testing content?

• Like 2

I find this whole argument rather silly, and both sides are not using their most potent points.

For Non-Hive Servers: Rocket has 200,000 testers right now, I'm sure 150 people playing on "Dream Servers" as I call them do not hurt the testing aspects in the long run. The people running these servers have also paid money out of their pocket to create a server, that server and what they do with it is their decision.

Against Non-Hive servers: It does cause people to feel entitled to their playstyle or become dependent on a server where they know X or Y will happen. Saying that they are standing in the way of the project is not a legitimate claim. because rocket never anticipated the kind of player base this mod has.

Every society has its deviants. But these people do not stand in the way of progress as they have simply deviated from the current development phase and made it into something else where they are content. thats 150 less players out of hundreds of thousands. It should not bother you and it does not bother me.

Edited by TheXenophobe
  • Like 1

Non-hive servers are basically to DayZ what freeshards are to an MMOG. Usually initiated by a tight knit sub-community that wants to define a game by their own standards or rules and is not content with playing on official servers.

Whatever the reasons, non-hive/freeshard servers are not helping with developing a game, they are like little bubbles seperated from the normal community, statistics, data, security measures and licensing control.

Having a unique character and no server hopping is really great.

i don't like privates but Having a unique character and no server hopping is really great. make the game really great, if a player logoff, appears in the same place, never on your back if he logout he will sleep, or play another server with another character, only problem is that the database vuneravel adiministradores to the server, and is not official and does not help the development, although most privates use exactly the same configuration of the game, just do not share the database, you also test the "final" and can still say in balaceamento and stuff, but not on connections and desync

What if the Server owner hosts a public hive instance and a private hive instance, at their own considerable expense, I may add? Rocket does not pay for the servers you play on, a few community members pay for the servers that most likely you contribute nothing to. Some of us are actually paying to be testers, so I find it fair. When it comes to server owners, it is not a free mod.

• Like 1

True. Also, unless rocket has gets some kinda special treatment from battle eye I don't think they have any power to stop non hive servers from existing.

Ya know, I kinda do wanna try a server with no server hopping but then again I have major trust issues.

Edited by DeadManDan

My friends and I run our own private LAN server with battleye off. We use it for giving people an easier introduction into the game and ridiculous death matches with spawned super weapons. Also comes in handy at peak times, when getting all of us on the same hivemind server is difficult.

All of us care about the development of the mod and appreciate all of the hard work that the devs put in. Some of us specifically purchased Arma: CO for DayZ. The mod runs on software that we legally purchased and as long as we don't use injections to add our characters into DayZ's public servers, we are not hampering anyone’s experience. We are just enjoying a game.

So, are there any battle eye enabled or anti-cheat protected non hive servers any of you would recommend?

I run my own non-hive server. It's for colleagues and friends who I can trust to not disconnect or hack stuff. I usually go play on that when I get killed again for no appearent reason from a sniper half the map away. I also made some tweaks to the zombies so that they don't glitch around all the place and actually post a challenge instead of just being obnoxious, and some other stuff like morphine being part of farm loot instead of just spawning at the coast, vehicles require less things to repair (although they need a refuel so gas cans are in high demand), and some other things that rocket just refuses to do (like giving everyone a weapon, hatchet in this case at spawn).

I know this doesn't help development directly but I think I'm personally responsible for around 20-25 sold copies of ArmA2:AO, as people from work joined the server, told other people who bought it etc. That is 20 copies extra sold for Bohemia, money they can use to invest in ArmA3 and DayZ.

It's just a far friendlier place (although PvP still happens, just not as random as on public servers), and I ofcourse play on the regular servers and encourage the other players on the server to do the same.

Essentially, my main motivation is to get rid of all the dicks, and a private hiveless server does just that.

• Like 2

Go play some AAA shit.

Did they send a formal agreement to test the server? Hundreds of thousands of people are "testing" the game already. I don't see any reason why they can't have fun by themselves. Games are meant for fun, not duty.

I like all my posts getting locked and then hosting 3 servers and all get full to the rim in 2 hours. It really is sad you guys won't support the private HIVE system and make us edit files for our non-hive. I have 3-4 blades waiting to run more servers on my HIVE that mimics the official HIVE with the addition of a few more vehicles.

Why not just give us the build and that way I could give you feedback at the code and help? Most of my users are playing on my servers because they want to play your fantastic game without having to wait 5 minutes to load in on the incredibly incredibly terrible HIVE system.

Edited by rinaun

actually it does help development and reporting of bugs alot, as in private servers players dont have to be so selfish and worried about loosing kit and thus can take risks public players would not, this way they will find bugs and given bug reporting primarily goes to the dev-heaven site not here..how is that not helping

if the dev team were not so single minded to expect clans and server owners to just treat them like gods and do as they say without question then it would have never come to this.

having private games and public hive is wrong and will never happen as yes it would be totally unfair due to how a group can horde kit then use it against other survivors on normal servers.

life is full off a plaguerism, i could list hundreds of examples of it, that actually amount to billions of dollars of money, from facebook to jet engines, it is a fact of life.

thing i have noticed is the cult support forming around rocket, where if one person dare speak out against him they will be flamed and trolled for it, to the point that it gets off topic and i ask you how is that "for the good of the mod and progress"?

some people, especially myself are anti-social and definitely do not want to spend their time off being forced to play with absolute arseholes

then there is the pvp aspect that when you decide ok, i will defend myself, they exploit the game mechanics to avoid death, kill you or whatever

you know on my public account the enemy for me is not the zombies? weird thought that was the point, ironically its not even the bandits!! i have lived for 2 weeks then been killed by the server dropping me to my death,

a nuke type server mass kill, and some stupid lagg/desync on top of a cliff that didnt end good

tbh coming from project reality bf, to this, its like i am back in the cod community

btw have you noticed any copyrighted material yet? as that would be a death blow to private hive systems

and finally....

did rocket not do exactly the same thing when he first starting creating modules, took a game, this instance arma 2 and began making new ways to use it?

BI supports modding, just not sure how they feel about modders stealing other modders work though.

Edited by Dallas

^ This is what I mean, people taking Rocket's work and bending it for their own selfish needs instead of testing the mod within the frame work of his system.

Hmm correct me if im wrong but the original game was arma 2 CO, rocket took it, bent it to his "own selfish needs" and created dayz... those tunngle ppl are sometimes just copying what rocket does like this anty rocket guy, but some like guru abdul are developing the game in a compleatly diffrent way exploring compleatly new ideas, to me they are actually doing way more than a single dayz player does by joining the official server and camping 3 hours outside stary, especially since all their work is public, i think that (if any of what they do is really good) rockets "original dayz" might benefit from it greatly, also in this alfa ppl dont only test bugs but also influence new features/new ideas - from private hives we learn that some ppl would like to have alternate chars/their own servers etc which is also a part of testing.

Do u realy sit down to the game with a notepad on ur desk and scipple down every little bug u find? Be reasonable ppl play this gme to have fun, the fact that they test it at the same time is usefull to the devs but nobody sits down to "test" the game...

BI support modding, just sure how they feel about modders stealing other modders work though.

how is it stealing if they give the credit to rocket... did rocket steal the arma 2 engine from BI??

Why not just give us the build and that way I could give you feedback at the code and help? Most of my users are playing on my servers because they want to play your fantastic game without having to wait 5 minutes to load in on the incredibly incredibly terrible HIVE system.

Check this out http://www.tunngle.net/community/topic/78211-guru-abduls-private-dayz-1723/

Edited by myselph33
  • Like 1

Any of you actually ask for permission?

I run my own non-hive server. It's for colleagues and friends who I can trust to not disconnect or hack stuff. I usually go play on that when I get killed again for no appearent reason from a sniper half the map away. I also made some tweaks to the zombies so that they don't glitch around all the place and actually post a challenge instead of just being obnoxious, and some other stuff like morphine being part of farm loot instead of just spawning at the coast, vehicles require less things to repair (although they need a refuel so gas cans are in high demand), and some other things that rocket just refuses to do (like giving everyone a weapon, hatchet in this case at spawn).

I know this doesn't help development directly but I think I'm personally responsible for around 20-25 sold copies of ArmA2:AO, as people from work joined the server, told other people who bought it etc. That is 20 copies extra sold for Bohemia, money they can use to invest in ArmA3 and DayZ.

It's just a far friendlier place (although PvP still happens, just not as random as on public servers), and I ofcourse play on the regular servers and encourage the other players on the server to do the same.

Essentially, my main motivation is to get rid of all the dicks, and a private hiveless server does just that.

I agree with you as my friends and I have used a private server just for learning and fun (no hacks or spawning). We use it as a way to get used to the way the game works and not have to worry about getting shot and starting over every 5 min. I have sold atleast 3 copys of ArmA 2 CO and possibly more. We do use the live servers as that is where most of the interaction is and also testing because we love this game. Having both options is the best IMO

Thanks to these non-hive servers I managed to lose all of my military spec gear, thanks fuck wits.

This is pretty much what i have done. I have lots of friends that have recently bought Arma 2 and i can teach them how to play the game or it can be a safe place for them to practice and learn how DayZ works.