Sign in to follow this  
speeder172

spawning without weapon?

Hello,

Since Dayz updated, are we spawning without any weapon or is it a bug?

Thanks

Not sure this is entirely a good thing.

It's a bit of a kick in the teeth for new players to spawn without a weapon, sneak up to village, get spotted and die, without any way to defend yourself.

It renders your game start to sneak successfully the very first time, or die.

Would be all that bad to give us a broken broom handle, a bb gun, a stanley knife or something?

Doesn't need to be powerfull, it just needs to be something, anything!

It's a bit of a kick in the teeth for new players to spawn without a weapon, sneak up to village, get spotted and die, without any way to defend yourself.

Would be all that bad to give us a broken broom handle, a bb gun, a stanley knife or something?

Doesn't need to be powerfull, it just needs to be something, anything!

Well, not everybody has access to knives or so either. Not to mention that those are completely useless against zombies. Spawning without a weapon actually requires you to think, but some players can't even do tat ,they just sprint through Chernogorsk in the hope of finding a proper weapon, ignoring the 20 zombies behind them..

But yeah, originally you should think alot more when entering towns and actually have a plan. Dieing is part of the game. Just retry.

new starting equipment was introduced in 1.7.1

there was a lot of whining but most people already got used to it

also there is a changelog on download mirror sites with all patch notes (EnermaX beat me to it)

Edited by tomo
  • Like 1

You've got a way to defend yourself from zombies: those two stumps under your torso with shoes on the ends. I think they're called "legs". Using them, you can manoeuvre your body to be on the other side of an obstacle from a zombie, and then return to sneaking.

Sorry for the sarcasm --- yes, the learning curve is very steep, but that was still true when we spawned with a pistol.

Giving everyone a pistol didn't really help you learn how to play, and just gave every new character a fast way to become a bandit by murdering other just-spawned characters.

Spawning without a gun added a whole new "unarmed" phase to every life, and this phase should last you less than about 20 minutes once you've figured out the basics (i.e. find where you spawned on the map, run to nearest city, profit). This is the same for noobs and experienced players alike whenever they start a new character (which can still be quite often, even for people who know how to play).

Once you've got some confidence and experience in the game, you can actually brazenly sprint straight for Cherno/Elektro without caring that you're pissing of zombies, run through some alleys to lose the zombies chasing you, then happily loot the store to find a gun. You can even run into a lot of buildings while being chased, and either quickly grab a gun off the floor to defend yourself, or simply duck out the back door and sneak away (don't run into a building with only 1 entrance if being chased while unarmed!).

You'll quickly find that zombies aren't very often a real threat in this game, and that the real danger is bandits.

N.B. expect to make big mistakes with your first bunch of characters. I'm a long-time Arma player, and it still took me 10 lives to really get on top of how to play properly.

Edited by ActionMan

I dont know why evertime someone needs to complain about that. Around after 20 mins of playing a new character i always have a gun with ammo or a hatchet. I never had problems to find a gun. Just dont go to the low residential,farms,engineer buildings. They are just consuming time.

Spawning with a gun is more risky and not very good than without, and the reason is simply by how you will act.

With a gun, you feel stronger and when you see zombies you will just shoot them, all good? No, other people will likely shoot you as you could be a threat, easier for them to know where you are, and shooting increases amount of zombie aggro so you die quicker and its not good to learn this way.

Without a weapon you need to think, and try, sometimes, work together. This doesn't always happens but that is the nature of the game. But as you have no weapons you are required to sneak more, be a lot more cautious and this will grow you into a better player.

This is no run and gun game, it requires you to feel completely weak and vulnerable, letting you figure out how to become stronger.

It's so oh so easy to find a weapon. You just got to have some common sense, that's all. Within twenty minutes, I've got myself either a primary weapon or a side-gun. I once found a fresh MP5SD with two magazines just after two minutes of spawning on the coast (read: real loot spawn)

Use an external map if you feel like cheating a bit, and check out the loot spawns scattered across the map.

• Like 1

"It's a bit of a kick in the teeth for new players to spawn without a weapon"

Those guys who spawned with a bloody makarov a month ago, already died couple of times and respawned without it.

If there's a couple of left, that means they managed to stay alive, not a big issue.

Anyway I satrted to play Monday morning on 1st night died 3 times.

Yesterday I spawned, someone shoot me in 2 minutes.:)

Spawned again, found my way to Cherno, got the nice gear, and left town without a scratch.

not sure what's thiss fuss about the guns, really...

This is a zombie survival mod, there MUST BE challenge in it.Innit?

regards

Spawning without a gun hasn't really made the game harder, i'd say it made it more tricky. Most veteran members and new players learn pretty fast that when they spawn where they can find some weapons. If you cant make it at the start then drag a friend into the game or hook up with someone trough the forums, the game is awesome with 2 or 3 people. Completely different experience and it doesnt even make it easier.

Veteran players don't have it easy either, i tend to drop off stairs A LOT and when the latest patch came out promising it was harder for zombies to break legs i went out with an axe and oh boy the third zombie to hit me broke my leg. Crawled halfway across the map with it untill one of my buddies logged in.

Edited by Tops

Yeah, I agree, just something like a punch would be helpful. I just started today, a little to hesitant to run into a city, where I know there are weapons, but there is the most Zombies. I was hoping I would luck out somewhere else, thought I did find a fully repaired yellow hatchback with tons of food and water.

Yeah, I agree, just something like a punch would be helpful. I just started today, a little to hesitant to run into a city, where I know there are weapons, but there is the most Zombies. I was hoping I would luck out somewhere else, thought I did find a fully repaired yellow hatchback with tons of food and water.

But doesn't that detract from the "survival" nature of the game? The fact you felt hesitant is the key because you are suddenly aware of risk. It is a vital element to DayZ I would say. Thinking logically (if you can speak of logic and fictional creatures in the same sentence), at most you see zombies kicked in frantic panic in films and other media, rarely ever involved in a fisty-cuffs fight. In my personal opinion, I think punching would take more away from DayZ, but at the same time I can see some potential I guess because you run the risk of being ripped apart anyway, so as a "last-stand" scenario, punching could be an option. The other situation to consider is when you notice another player who is armed, I like the challenge of having to avoid them or risk trying to meet them when I know I cannot defend myself.

Edited by Wentworth Miller

Honestly, having them unarmed makes them absolutely no threat. When everyone spawned with weapons we were having firefights right on the beach.

Now there's no reason to drop someone who's minutes into a game. More importantly if you meet other new spawns there's less risk in grouping with them.

Edited by Rogan

starting with just fists would still be awesome, althought zombies would take like 9000 hits from fists to actually take damage.

Id chuck norris zombies ALL DAY . . . and constantly die :(

as it stands I feel like an armless hobo when I spawn, until I find my handy dandy hatchet.

"It's a bit of a kick in the teeth for new players to spawn without a weapon"

Those guys who spawned with a bloody makarov a month ago, already died couple of times and respawned without it.

If there's a couple of left, that means they managed to stay alive, not a big issue.

Anyway I satrted to play Monday morning on 1st night died 3 times.

Yesterday I spawned, someone shoot me in 2 minutes. :)

Spawned again, found my way to Cherno, got the nice gear, and left town without a scratch.

not sure what's thiss fuss about the guns, really...

This is a zombie survival mod, there MUST BE challenge in it.Innit?

regards

It's not the difficulty i take issue with. Its the helplessness.

Right now, you can only deal damage with man made object.

Sticks and stones all over the place and i can't use them.

Fists that are totally useless.

I get attacked by a zombie, and i have to stand there, mewling softly while he eats me alive. I don't even have the ability to claw feebly at him.

I'm not talking about making it easy. I'm talking about making it survivable.

• Like 1