Sign in to follow this  
Ingway

The steam overlay, using six laucher?

I've been trying to get the steam overlay to work, while playing Dayz so i can have an easier time talking to my friends that play as well, problem is it semms to acess another file to start up Dayz, so it dosn't count, i added the Arma2 oA beta laucher to see if it would work, but nothing.

Not to mention, if i try to start the game trough steam and not six laucher, every single server i try to get into will state "bad version" when i try to log in. Is there a way to have steam's overlay working while playing Dayz?

I managed to get the overlay to work using a .bat file which I converted to a .exe file.The bat file contained this ->

@echo offecho Starting: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\expansion\beta\arma2oa.exeecho From: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowheadecho With params: -noSplash -cpuCount=4 -nopause -noFilePatching -showScriptErrors "-name=[XI] Bad Koala" "-mod=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\Common\arma 2;expansion;expansion\beta;expansion\beta\expansion;@DayZ"cd /D "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead""c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\expansion\beta\arma2oa.exe" -noSplash -cpuCount=4 -nopause -noFilePatching -showScriptErrors "-name=[XI] Bad Koala" "-mod=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\Common\arma 2;expansion;expansion\beta;expansion\beta\expansion;@DayZ"

My exe file has this as shortcut target ->

"C:\arma 2 operation arrowhead\Expansion\beta\arma2oa.exe" -noSplash -noFilePatching -window "-name=[XI] Bad Koala" "-mod=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\Common\arma 2;expansion;expansion\beta;expansion\beta\expansion;@DayZ"

I had to copy the folder to a location that was shorter in length because the target has a character limit :C To run a steam game on a seperate location follow the instructions from this site

Edited by Guest

Thanks, but that website is cannot be acessed it semms...

The best method I have found is using the spirited machine launcher and manually dl patches as needed, you can make a shortcut of the launcher and add that to your non steam games in your steam directory. Copy the perameters from 'target' and 'start in' boxes from your orig shortcut to the one in steams directory. jobs a good'un. Overlay works

I've used that method before i got sixlauncher, worked fine as long as you keep everything updated. That Dwarden guy is a bit of a pain responding to a thread like that, if there isnt any good support for the various problems new players face, then yeah people will go try stuff out themselves.

Yeah, funny thing is I just tried to copy over the dll's and eta folder like Dwarden was saying, and THAT really hooped the game. lol

So I put everything back the way it was, and the method still works just fine, at least for DayZ. I will admit, if you want to play normal Arma, this method makes that very hard, as multiple things will be screwed up, but I doubt anyone really cares since hardly anyone plays it. :)

Wait, so we are not supposed to use the 6 launcher anymore to update? or Get into games?

I still use it lol

Wait, so we are not supposed to use the 6 launcher anymore to update? or Get into games?

No, we're talking about the method that Stings2pee posted. a.k.a. manually updating yourself.

Overlay works for me by simply creating a steam shortcut to Six Launcher and starting the launcher from the steam shortcut.

Yeah, funny thing is I just tried to copy over the dll's and eta folder like Dwarden was saying, and THAT really hooped the game. lol

So I put everything back the way it was, and the method still works just fine, at least for DayZ. I will admit, if you want to play normal Arma, this method makes that very hard, as multiple things will be screwed up, but I doubt anyone really cares since hardly anyone plays it. :)

Try this

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2796096

I use Six to update Day Z and I follow that to get Steam to run the beta patch. It takes a bit of work but I and a few buddies have use this and it plays just fine.

Try this

http://forums.steamp...d.php?t=2796096

I use Six to update Day Z and I follow that to get Steam to run the beta patch. It takes a bit of work but I and a few buddies have use this and it plays just fine.

lol try reading the whole thread, but thx anyway....

Overlay works for me by simply creating a steam shortcut to Six Launcher and starting the launcher from the steam shortcut.

Found with most game that the best option. Steam overlay carries over to the program the launcher opens (like Dayz, world of tanks etc), though it doesn't track info on time played etc.

lol try reading the whole thread, but thx anyway....

I did, and I also tryed that first link and failed. Maybe I typed something wrong, don't know. But the how to I linked works for me and others. If you give me your Steam ID I'll be happy to walk you through it if you want. Mine is {OFG} Chewy102

Edited by Chewy102

I did, and I also tryed that first link and failed. Maybe I typed something wrong, don't know. But the how to I linked works for me and others. If you give me your Steam ID I'll be happy to walk you through it if you want. Mine is {OFG} Chewy102

Well works for me, and it's basically the same thing you posted.

fun fact, I used the spirited machine launcher for a while, then just copied the additional launch parameters into steam and it worked for me. Haven't had a problem yet.

Like others have said I just run Six Launcher through Steam & named it DayZ. Works fine for me.

Wow that Dwarden guy shit all over this method....and of course offered very little help and then locks the thread. What an emo prick.

I don't really give a shit what that guy says. Dwarden can go fuck himself. This method worked for me (and everyone I've told) and does not interfere with game files, BattleEye or anything. Even though it's perhaps not an 'official' method, all it does is trick Steam into lunching the beta .exe for Combined Operations directly from your library: allowing the overlay, logging your time in-game, and makes your Steam account appear in-game to other friends. There is nothing illegal about it nor is it breaching any rules. He's just some minimum-wage employee that doesn't know what he's talking about.

Edited by Stings2pee