felixthedk@vikingkids.com

Why zombies shouldnt be able to break bones

PS. Blood is 8768.57 or something.

So, I was playing on a server about an hour ago, Been on it for about 4 hours, I amassed a hunting rifle, a 1911, An Axe, And a shit ton of food and bandages.

So i go outside of my barn, and get hit ONCE while at 9328 blood, Instantly i hear a snap and my leg is broken.

For fucks sake, Does this literally mean i have to respawn? I'm never going to make it to electro because zombies or bandits will get me first, and aside that, It'll be christmas 2038 before i get there.

Please remove zombie's ability to break legs, They're gnawing my arms and body, Not my fucking legs.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg855/scaled.php?server=855&filename=wtfwhy.png&res=landing

• Like 2

I think it depends on the zombie witch bones it breaks, for exp.

Walkers will break arms

hoppers will break both

crawlers will break legs.

through the feature of breaking bones should be nurffed to hell and back. I don't think it should be taken away.

• Like 1

Fair enough, But it'd be nice if the fireaxe actually had the range of a fireaxe and not a pocket knife, All my weaponry is useless because i get instakilled by some zombie that shouldnt be doing that much damage, Some blocking system or something really needs to be added, otherwise this mod wont last long for me, and probably a few others.

well depends on the zombie, i think the crawling and hopping ones should be able to do it, they are at a disadvantage anyway, but to balance they should reduce the sound made by crawling ones, so they get to sneak up on you.

Theheheh well... now you know it how to make it better the next time...

Breaking legs seems fine... of course, not as easily, unless you have osteoporosis (which I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be able to sprint for a straight 45 minutes if our character did). Realistically, it's pretty hard to break a human leg, but I'm imaging the zombies having super strength/no pain when hitting. Imagine someone swinging their arm at you as hard as they could. Not necessarily going to hurt that bad... they would probably hurt their arm more than you. I'm not talking about a punch or slap, either, just a "DURRRR" *arm swings*. Well, in my mind, zombies don't feel pain much, if at all. An arm bone hitting a leg bone hard enough is a recipe for broken bones.

Of course, as I said, not as easily broken, but it shouldn't be removed.

Realism cannot be used as an arguement while morphine is used to cure broken bones.

We use bandages to cover up bullet wounds and they magically stop bleeding.

Theres no way you can use realism as an arguement, Everything in the game is a game mechanic and only slightly more realistic than most games.

Zombies breaking bones should only occur at 4000 - 2000 blood

Anything after that is instant KO.

So this was a "nerf zombies because I got hurt"-thread? You know, it's part of the game, sometimes you die, it's the apocalypse :P Besides, seems like you got your fix of morphine in the end. Didn't it feel rewarding? Besides, I think they have already decreased the amount of broken bones from infected for 1.7.2.

And the danger of a leg-break always looming there makes you want to avoid zeds if you don't have morphine....just adds to the game imo.

Yeah, and they should be slower.

And should not deal so much damage.

And should not aggro so fast.

And should loose aggro after 10m.

Well, best would be to remove them, so everyone is happy!

Breaking legs seems fine but we should be able to make a split and hobble along.

Realism cannot be used as an arguement while morphine is used to cure broken bones.

Theres no way you can use realism as an arguement, Everything in the game is a game mechanic and only slightly more realistic than most games.

He absolutley can use realism as an argument. Just because not everything is 100% realistic doesn't mean that some parts can't be represented as realistically as a game can. Zombies breaking bones is perfectly fine. It happens... The fact that you aren't always knocked on your backside and face stomped when a Zombie connects with you is evidence that 100% realism isnät required or wanted, but some degree of realistic reaction is expected.

If the game WAS 100% realistic, Bandits would be dying alone from infected bullet wounds in the woods, players would be weeping with joy at meeting another player, you wouldn't be permitted to respawn at all, getting face smashed by a Zombie at a full run would instantly put you on your back and a team of DayZ devs would knock on your wdoor and put a bullet in your head every time a player did. ;)

Next time you should try the long, painful voyage to find morphine. It's a pretty epic crawl to the nearest hospital on your face, trying to avoid all contact and keeping up your food and water. You might enjoy the end result more with the effort required. :D

zombies in DayZ usuall average humans, driven mad by some sort of virus. how easy for average human to break leg of average human with a punch? i doubt its easy. also, we should mention that character can run for very long time(endlessly to be correct). such abilities mean that previously person that we are palyig had very intense training, and trainings like this make bone strong like steel. and how easy to break steel rod for average human?

I think it depends on the zombie witch bones it breaks, for exp.

Walkers will break arms

hoppers will break both

crawlers will break legs.

through the feature of breaking bones should be nurffed to hell and back. I don't think it should be taken away.

if you will break your arm you will inject morphine with your leg?

It can be used an as argument... but the morphine part, yes, I agree, Tad bit off from even the slightest medical procedure that was help in being able to use a broken leg again. And as in a tad bit off, I mean that wouldn't ever fix any broken leg.

Realism can be used as an argument, but as for the "fun factor" in a video game, if not for this, it would break that. Getting shot? Without proper. specific medical attention, would (realistically) take months/years for a bullet wound to even cause remotely the same functionality of the injured body part, sometimes not at all.

Here's an example (you're gonna LOVE this!)

I used to be a successful zombie survivor like you... let I took a lee enfield bullet to the knee.

Now we are getting into technicalities. You can actually make a game 100% realistic. We have the technology. We have the math. Would that be fun? Hell no. Cram as much realism into a game as you can without destroying the fun factor? You have an excellent game.

There are much better ways to deal with it than doing this. Fractures, maybe from running too much or from getting hit, would be great. If not taken care of, there is a % chance for each individual way to get damaged to have your leg broken. Falling - highest %. Getting shot - medium %. Getting hit by a zombie - low %.

To keep realism, I think that falling should have a % chance to automatically break your leg, with round fall heights resulting in different %'s. Getting shot in the leg would have an extremely high chance to cause a fracture, while still having a medium % chance to instantly break a leg. Getting hit by a zombie would never break a leg unless fractured.

That it completely my opinion on how it should be handled. There's probably better ideas, but that just came from the top of my head.

I see where you are going with that, but that's, again, just being a game mechanic, completely devoid of any realism. Maybe a % chance to get knocked over from being so weak from a low blood count (not a KO, just knocked over and having to make your character stand back up), but only getting hit in the head would cause a % chance to proc. Medium - low % chance.

No, I didnt feel rewarded for getting the morphine, I felt stupid because i rolled for 15 minutes till i got to a hospital, Biggest waste of time because i got my bones broken at a health percentage that shouldnt even be possible.

It can be used an as argument... but the morphine part, yes, I agree, Tad bit off from even the slightest medical procedure that was help in being able to use a broken leg again. And as in a tad bit off, I mean that wouldn't ever fix any broken leg.

Realism can be used as an argument, but as for the "fun factor" in a video game, if not for this, it would break that. Getting shot? Without proper. specific medical attention, would (realistically) take months/years for a bullet wound to even cause remotely the same functionality of the injured body part, sometimes not at all.

Here's an example (you're gonna LOVE this!)

I used to be a successful zombie survivor like you... let I took a lee enfield bullet to the knee.

Now we are getting into technicalities. You can actually make a game 100% realistic. We have the technology. We have the math. Would that be fun? Hell no. Cram as much realism into a game as you can without destroying the fun factor? You have an excellent game.

There are much better ways to deal with it than doing this. Fractures, maybe from running too much or from getting hit, would be great. If not taken care of, there is a % chance for each individual way to get damaged to have your leg broken. Falling - highest %. Getting shot - medium %. Getting hit by a zombie - low %.

To keep realism, I think that falling should have a % chance to automatically break your leg, with round fall heights resulting in different %'s. Getting shot in the leg would have an extremely high chance to cause a fracture, while still having a medium % chance to instantly break a leg. Getting hit by a zombie would never break a leg unless fractured.

That it completely my opinion on how it should be handled. There's probably better ideas, but that just came from the top of my head.

I see where you are going with that, but that's, again, just being a game mechanic, completely devoid of any realism. Maybe a % chance to get knocked over from being so weak from a low blood count (not a KO, just knocked over and having to make your character stand back up), but only getting hit in the head would cause a % chance to proc. Medium - low % chance.

Fair enough, I agree that breaking leg bones is somewhat reasonable, But for those of us who dont want to team up or, when trying to team up, get shot in the face by bandits. It's kind of a pain in the ass.

Splint to be honest, would be the best idea

And then just make morphine rarer.

But, broken bones should heal over time.

2 weeks ingame time or something.

PS. Blood is 8768.57 or something.

So, I was playing on a server about an hour ago, Been on it for about 4 hours, I amassed a hunting rifle, a 1911, An Axe, And a shit ton of food and bandages.

So i go outside of my barn, and get hit ONCE while at 9328 blood, Instantly i hear a snap and my leg is broken.

For fucks sake, Does this literally mean i have to respawn? I'm never going to make it to electro because zombies or bandits will get me first, and aside that, It'll be christmas 2038 before i get there.

Please remove zombie's ability to break legs, They're gnawing my arms and body, Not my fucking legs.

http://desmond.image...png&res=landing

I can accept when zombies are chasing you and you get hit and break a bone, I can see that happening in a real life situation. When standing still on the other hand I find it hard to see it happening.

I can accept when zombies are chasing you and you get hit and break a bone, I can see that happening in a real life situation. When standing still on the other hand I find it hard to see it happening.

I would imagine there is more to the zeds attacks than just the jittery movements they make, i.e. if you are crouched and somebody stomps on your leg with all their strength from an awkward angle, a bone-break is not only possible, it's probable.

I agree. The fact that I can get slapped once by a zombie and then have both my legs break in the middle of nowhere is just ridiculous. At least let painkillers, a more common item, maybe allow for temporary mobility? Ten minutes, thirty max.

If I get shot or take environmental damage, fine. But zombie bitch slaps shouldn't break bones so easily.

Without reading the whole thread, and thus risking this has already been mentioned ... the problem isn't breaking your legs, it's that the only thing you can do about it is find morphine, and this means you basically have to go to a big town, which means you are likely to die, so why even bother going there ...

If you could set a 'cast' around the leg or a splint (or w/e its called with wood), and if you could find or make crutches, or all of them, so you can atleast walk and use your side arm (or if you load up two crutches- even run), you could actually somewhat keep playing, then make breaking legs like it is in real life, it fixes itself with time. So set a realy long time for it, i have a more elaborate system in my mind, but don't feel like totally writing it down here. Anyways bottom line is, it's not breaking your legs, it's that you can't do anything about it (UNLESS you have morphine)