Sign in to follow this  
ActionManZlt

The FADE warning

If you don't know what FADE is, it's the DRM system used by Arma -- instead of stopping pirates from playing, it just screws with them, by reducing their accuracy, changing their controls, etc.. . and reminds them that an original copy is a good idea by popping up with the message: "Remember: Original copies do not FADE". [edit]Sorry, it's "Illegal copies may degrade", I was going from memory, not a screenshot ;)[/edit]

If you see this message pop up, you should really be worried, because it means you're running a pirate copy!!

So, the other week I was playing with friends, and one starts freaking out over voice because this message has popped up on his screen. I was about to laugh at him for being a dirty pirate, but then I noticed it was on my screen too, and a 2nd friend also saw it -- it was in the server-wide chat text down the bottom left.

Seeing we all have legit Steam copies of the game, I'm guessing that this warning was just showing up in the global chat for everyone on the server?

If that's the case, does this mean that the server is running on a cracked version of Arma? Do server operators need a legit copy, or is the dedicated-server freeware?

If so, will playing on these cracked servers do us harm, and should we be reporting them to someone?

Or, maybe a single pirated client connected, which causes the server to print the warning to everyone globally?

Or, does every server simply print the FADE warning from time to time?

Thanks for any insights.

Edited by ActionMan

I thought the message was "Illegal copies may degrade." That's what I've always seen, anyway.

"Remember: Original copies do not FADE".

Are you sure you don't mean "Remember: Illegal copies may degrade"

Personally I've never seen the FADE warning, so bump for interest.

Edited by Quagmire

I see it all the time, ever since I started playing. I knew about FADE, but I didn't pay any attention, since I know my copy is legit, since it's on Steam. I always just thought that it was a reminder.

"Illegal copies may degrade", I mean.

Edited by Blippy

Sorry, updated OP with the real warning message, was going from my memory of it.

I don't see this every time that I play, only on some servers... but maybe that's just chance (e.g. if servers print the warning every 6 hours)?

Lmao.

Its just a server wide message to say illegal copies may degrade.

Stop freaking the fuck out jesus.

Lmao.

Its just a server wide message to say illegal copies may degrade.

Stop freaking the fuck out jesus.

Sorry, me and my friends have come to DayZ from Arma2 (and Arma1, and Arma0 AKA OFP), and regular A2 MP servers don't ever print this warning. The only time you see this warning (outside of DayZ) is when FADE has kicked in and decided to start tearing your installation a new one (in OFP it actually deleted files from your HDD).

Sorry, me and my friends have come to DayZ from Arma2 (and Arma1, and Arma0 AKA OFP), and regular A2 MP servers don't ever print this warning. The only time you see this warning (outside of DayZ) is when FADE has kicked in and decided to start tearing your installation a new one (in OFP it actually deleted files from your HDD).

So if you have legitimate copies why stress? Playing on a 'cracked' server is highly unlikely to get you in trouble unless you knew it was cracked.

And people who don't even have legitimate CD keys cant play on legit servers.

/bye

someone hacked your steam and now you're doomed to play as a bird forever

I remember that FADE turned pirates into a Seaguell after a time of playing xD

I see the "Illegal copies may degrade" message every once and awhile. I've always thought it was just like a server reminder or some shit.

This is all hearsay from me nothing definitive, but i read someones post on another forum saying it was to do with how you are running the beta patch through steam, no idea if this is true or how to fix it if it is though. Just an avenue you can investigate.

This message gas been popping up on Arma2 server for years

.I always assumed it was a joke.

Edited by Jacknine

1. Might just be a random server message, I've seen it since OFP.