Sign in to follow this  
The_Monk

Make this shit hard. Less supply loot.

One thing that has bothered me with DayZ is how trivial survival is from the environment and zombie perspective.

The most entertaining time I have had is when that slightly broken hot fix took out food and water. Beans became gold and water bottles were worth dying to protect.

If you make food and water, ammo and med supplies much MUCH harder to find, it would mean hunting becomes a more viable option and bullets become precious. You would see more experienced players running an enfield or winchester due to the relative ease at which you find ammo, and carrying a better gun in their pack.

As it is you need bullets for military grade weapons, you head into some industrial buildings or hit a deer stand. Thirsty? Grab a coke I have 20. Broken leg? Doesn't matter mate! Quick trip to the hospital and you have 10 morpheine.

Bring in that survival element so it is a genuine achievement if you manage to forage enough supplies to survive.

Broken leg? Doesn't matter mate! Quick trip to the hospital and you have 10 morpheine.

A trip to the hospital isn't that quick with a broken leg...

Most of the time you are already carrying heaps because you or your friends have already been there. A lot of people play in groups so a healthy person can do the run for morph for you.

A broken leg is annoying but easily solvable, morpheine is plentiful. Everything is plentiful.

If you die, it takes around 20-30 minutes to gear up to a decent level and be on your merry way.

Just for the server you play on, zombies will teleport, have wings and shoot laserbeams out thair arse, there wil be no vehicles and you have to drink and eat every 15 minutes. There will be no guns, and all you can use is a flashlight and a crowbar, and your inventory will only have room for 4 items (food, drink, tin can and flares).

Hard enough for you?

Try to offer suggestion that makes game more difficult/adds suspense realism. Get yelled at.

Try to offer suggestion that makes game easier on new players. Get yelled at.

I don't think I'll bother having an opinion anymore in this shithole.

I also agree loot is far too common.

Particularly : AMMO

You want a way to "control" PvP in a "natural" way , simple , reduce ammo drops (all types) by 90% (seriously!)

This does not stop *anyone* from shooting whoever the hell they like.

BUT : It *does* make every time you fire your weapon a deliberate decision : "Do I want to waste this ammo doing [X]....?"

Other GOOD side effects are :

It will actively encourage more scavenging / exploring / looting corpses (rather than just picking stuff up near where you spawn and "going for it")

People will now actively fear/avoid Zombies more (rather than just farming them)

People will horde *any* ammo they find and it will now become a new commodity to TRADE - this promotes player interaction / GROUP PLAY

The most "popular" weapons will become the melee weapons - there's more gameplay to be had there than just being sniped from 1.2KM away , and is still a pracital thing to use against Zombies.

(and is arguably more "realistic" , in the Zombie Apoc. you'll more likely have access to an Axe rather than a high power rifle)

CoD style Deathmatch in the main cities practically dissappears (or at least has a very short lifespan) - and if someone does go on a rampage it will be a rare and much feared event

In General : It will make people THINK! before they act.

BAD side effects :

People will complain "it's too hard" - is this (a) any different from normal ? or ( b ) a bad thing at all ?

Other supplies like Medical (except bandages) / Guns (& grenades) should also be reduced (but not as much , say about 50% less)

I would however keep certain things as common as they are now : Food & Drink , General Loot (trash , Tools , Backpacks etc) , Melee weapons , Vehicle Parts , Vehicle Spawns and Bandages.

This would allow a player to maintain "longevity" of lifespan , allowing the extra time needed to gear out on weapons/ammo/meds.

[MM]

Edited by Mad Martha

"Mad Martha said Stuff"

No.

Reducing ammunition by a large margin would increase killing FOR ammunition. People would just use high-powered weapons more often. Players aggro'ing zombies would disconnect more often to avoid using their limited ammo, and even worse, server hoppers would do it MORE than they do now.

I don't know why so many people think an extreme decrease in ammo loot would stop or decrease killings. Like when the food stopped spawning. What happened? HINT: More people died. Or when morphine became hard to find? Hint: Murders increased.

Less ammo is an incentive to KILL for more ammo. Or to get someone else's gun, even if it means trading potentially 3 rounds for 5.

50% decrease is good enough. 90% is far too much.

Edited by Zeromentor
  • Like 1

That's why you should think beforehand and get medical supplies before you need them.

I totally agree about loot and ammo amount being decreased. Especially food and drinks! It's not hard if you play smart, but if you waste all your time, ammo and food fragging in Cherno you will cry blood.

That's why you should think beforehand and get medical supplies before you need them.

I totally agree about loot and ammo amount being decreased. Especially food and drinks! It's not hard if you play smart, but if you waste all your time, ammo and food fragging in Cherno you will cry blood.

Last patch I had a rabbit run at me. Broke my legs. Fixed them with morphine and watched the rabbit run off. I turned around and spotted another rabbit.

Broke my legs twice. Thank God I had 3 morphine at the time or I'd be crawling around the northern sectors of the map right now.

"Mad Martha said Stuff"

No.

Reducing ammunition by a large margin would increase killing FOR ammunition. People would just use high-powered weapons more often. Players aggro'ing zombies would disconnect more often to avoid using their limited ammo, and even worse, server hoppers would do it MORE than they do now.

I don't know why so many people think an extreme decrease in ammo loot would stop or decrease killings. Like when the food stopped spawning. What happened? HINT: More people died. Or when morphine became hard to find? Hint: Murders increased.

Less ammo is an incentive to KILL for more ammo. Or to get someone else's gun, even if it means trading potentially 3 rounds for 5.

Murders increased in those cases because people *COULD* kill for them. (i.e. they had the Guns/AMMO to do so)

"More sniping/High Powered Rifles" - HOW??? When you most likely have ZERO AMMO or ONE clip ?

.....and even then you'd have to come down from your sniping spot to GET any spoils as opposed to just sitting on the hill above Electro all day sniping (and just leaving the body) or running around Cherno shooting everything/everyone on sight.

Both of which are HAPPENING NOW.

Main difference with my idea is that most of your victims will not have any (usefull) ammo on them anyway - even with "one shot one kill" - you'll likely use your one clip and have gained nothing but beans in return.

(and then what do you do ? You're back to your AXE - PvP has been "controlled" - not removed or nerf'd , just limited)

And of course - IF you want to spend the time either solo or as a group gathering lots of ammo - then yeah you could claim you've "earnt" the ability to go on a rampage - but still , again , you'll not likely be looting much usefull stuff off of the corpses. (so ultimately you will run out ammo if you use it)

Sever Hopping and Alt-F4'ing are known "problems" that affect the game regardless of supply availability - and are to be delt with seperately.

As for wanting to kill for ammo - Yes, that *DESIRE* would be there - but your *ABILITY* to do so would be reduced or at least made harder to achieve.

(limited shots from guns or risky melee combat)

I'm glad you do agree a decrease is needed :)

Exact numbers are indeed "up for discussion" - my 90% figure comes from a desire to make using guns (any guns) a "deliberate player choice"

A simple "Risk vs Reward" type decision , as things stand now :

Risk = Low (can always find more ammo / guns)

Rewards = Moderately High (most victims will have something usefull on them even if it's a 1911 or a Enfield or ammo of some sort)

I'm trying to swing the balance of that equation (dramatically , I agree) the other way around.

[MM]

Most of the time you are already carrying heaps because you or your friends have already been there. A lot of people play in groups so a healthy person can do the run for morph for you.

A broken leg is annoying but easily solvable, morpheine is plentiful. Everything is plentiful.

If you die, it takes around 20-30 minutes to gear up to a decent level and be on your merry way.

What server do you play on? I really want to play on that server. I don't know about you but almost all the crap you just talked about is hard to find. Morphine can usually only be found in hospitals and sometimes deer stands. Other than that I have a hard time finding it.

Apparently people disagree with you because according to the site the average life span is 35 minutes.

I agree to some extent. Deer stands are definately too OP as they give far to much reward for little risk but when I first started playing every hour was a desperate search for my next meal or drink. I would log on thinking right i need to find a tin of beans or a water source or i will die 20 mins from now. It was awesome.

I think what u are describing is the starting game or 'bean wars' but as I became more experienced and learned the map I learned how to survive in the wild and became self sustainable. My character is at the point where i stand to risk all by venturing into town and gain nothing but this will always happen eventually or your character will die. Its the only 2 outcomes so I have completed the game in my view.

I think we desperately need and end game which doesn't involve basic survival but other social needs to keep DayZ interesting after bean wars but not to make loot too hard to find or new players won't have a chance.

I don't understand why anybody would be against this, it's a solution to many problems and would enforce an even more realistic perspective.. I support

"Mad Martha said Stuff"

No.

I agree with you, matey

People don't see that PVP is a side effect in this game, and is uncontrolable. The more you try to control it the worst the situation becomes. Its simple. Today people have much more conditions to be friendly than if the things becomes scarse. If i have less food, drink and ammo i'll have more reasons to kill other survivor (I'm taking as base the current game mechanics).

I dont think that PVP have to be nerfed, i think that it have to be polished, because its a permanent side effect of the caos.

EDITED: but i want the ammo respawn to be lowered. I want some incentive to kill another survivor :D.

Edited by kovalhuk

First off, use search next time, in the 2 weeks or so that i been on this forum i have seen this pass by atleast 4 times, meaning every 3days or so somebody doesn't use search...

Second, you are totally forgetting about new arrivals, as a fairly new player (that doesn't want to spoil the game by going to some wiki site where all spawns are listed), i am having a hard time finding things. I have only found a makarov 3 times, i found riffles a bit more often, but they are more trouble than they are worth. And i need 30min to find just the basic things...

Your 30min problem comes from knowing the map like a native, and i am fairly sure you wouldn't be here asking for this if tomorrow a new map was implemented with a limited viewable map. You wouldn't know where to go, and would have the same experience i am having now. Wondering where the heck i'm able to find things, i am currently realy happy knowing that there is atleast a decent certainty that i will find a hatched, meaning i can atleast fight off some zombies.

Another thing that somewhat bothers me, is that 'make this game harder' comes down to 'make zombies more plentyful harder to kill' or 'make stuff harder to find' or 'remove military grade stuff' ... the most simple sollutions to making the game harder. Why not try and come up with more elaborate ways to make this game harder:

- Spawn us with nothing

- Reduce space on toolbelt

- Reduce space in inventory

- Add weight to items and have it influence movement speed

Another way would be to introduce MORE items into the game, notes, torn maps (so just sections), body parts on zombies, different tools for different actions, etc... more items means that the chance to spawn a specific item is considderably reduced. Take a map for instance, if there are 4 quarters, 2 half maps, and one whole map. Than the chance to spawn a whole map is 1/7th instead of 1, given a map spawns. Something similar is likely to occur when magazines and ammo are seperated, say a building currently spawns magazines of 3 kinds of pistols, when the seperate magazines from bullits, you can now find, 3 sorts of empty magazines, 3 sorts of magazines in any state of 'fullness', and anything from 1 bullit to a box with 50.

And now a new element is added to Risk-Reward, mainly the certainty of reward, and adding in this certainty to various degrees makes the risk-reward thing more interesting. If you are certain you are going to get a certain item, you can calculate the risk, so f/e being certain to find food or a drink in a cabin is a good thing, there is a risk and you know you be rewarded. Any other item that also has a chance to spawn there is an added bonus. And the more items on the list, the harder it will be to find the thing you are after...

Edited by L0GIN

I must play on the wrong servers. I rarely ever find a good weapon in a deer stand. Hell I rarely find a weapon in a deer stand for that matter. Usually its tin cans and bandages with glow sticks.