Sign in to follow this  
baffula

Server hopping needs to stop or patch it.

Four of six of our group fell tonight to server hoppers. They re-positioned around us once they were spotted and came up from behind us.

Any idea when this is going to be fixed? I understand that it's an alpha, and that this is a perpetual world, but something has got to give.

How this is even allowed to continue is beyond me.

• Like 1

the term is called ghosting ;) and rocket is testing alsorts of ways but waiting for one that works :) but when its sorted hopfuly no more ghosting and no more dam alt-f4 you guys s**k i killed you so give me ur loot! hehe

Who fucking cares what the proper term is called. It's a cheap ass way to play the game and I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed yet.

I hope he finds a way that doesn't punish players that legitamately disconnect and try to get back in.

I understand this is a problem though. This kind of abuse is unacceptable. :(

Something like after disconnecting from a server, you can't return to that exact server for like half an hour or an hour. That way someone who disconnects because of server or internet issues can just go to another server and if they had friends playing with them, those friends can move to the other server as well.

Edited by Johnggernaut
  • Like 1

Ghosting is giving away information after death to somebody who is alive (when you should be dead so not able to talk) or giving out information about a player you are spectating to somebody who is alive.

The proper term you are looking for is douchebaggery, as only douchebags would do such a thing the OP described. :P

the term is called ghosting ;) and rocket is testing alsorts of ways but waiting for one that works :) but when its sorted hopfuly no more ghosting and no more dam alt-f4 you guys s**k i killed you so give me ur loot! hehe

Term is most certainty not ghosting. Ghosting came from counter strike where a dead player would view the opposite team and talk to his friend, in most cases, explaining where the enemy is on the map.

Player logs out of server1 in a firefight

Player logs into server2 to find a better spot to flank his enemy

Player logs out of server2

Player tries to log into server1 but he can't because he needs to wait 5 minutes to rejoin his previous server after joining another.

OR

Player tries to log back into server1, but the server realizes his last log out point within 5 minutes is different than what the central server's is. Ghosting is assumed and the game server's last recorded location is used.

Edited by Strife
  • Like 1

Term is most certainty not ghosting. Ghosting came from counter strike where a dead player would view the opposite team and talk to his friend, in most cases, explaining where the enemy is on the map.

Yes it did, however, on this forum, "ghosting" is commonly used to mean: disconnecting, joining a different server, repositioning behind your attacker, reconnecting to the original server.

It's an extension of the server-hopping and DC exploits, which allows you to basically teleport during combat.

Just like how back in CS, "bunny hopping" was an exploit where if you jumped and turned at the right rate, you could receive a mid-air acceleration boost during your curved jump, and by continually doing this you could achieve enough momentum to leap dozens of metres from one building to the next.... yet now in other games, people use "bunny hopping" to just mean, "jumping around like an idiot to try and dodge bullets".

Phrases change meaning over time and in different contexts. So - in this community, "ghosting" is the right term.

Edited by ActionMan

The other day I got killed when I was at the NW airfield, I was fully kitted out.

I had NVGs, GPS (3 to give to friends),2 primary weapons.. Literally everything.

I was fired upon and hit, I didn't log out, I didn't crawl to safety and then log out, I stayed and tried to win the fight when I was patched up.

Unfortunately I lost the battle, along with one of my buddies going down as well but we stayed and fought, I'm proud of that.

The next day my friend who was near but not close enough to help out decided to loot the barracks and spots someone, he fires but doesn't quite kill him.

He moves in to investigate and realizes the small dicked prick has disconnected (Keeping in mind my friend is completely geared up), 2 minutes later he's shot in the back by the same dickhead who disconnected.

Where the fuck is the honour in that?

COOL MAN UR SO GOOD LOL! TELEPORTING BEHIND PEOPLE TO KILL THEM!

Fucking assholes, hope you all catch herpes and piss flames.

Player logs out of server1 in a firefight

Player logs into server2 to find a better spot to flank his enemy

Player logs out of server2

Player tries to log into server1 but he can't because he needs to wait 5 minutes to rejoin his previous server after joining another.

OR

Player tries to log back into server1, but the server realizes his last log out point within 5 minutes is different than what the central server's is. Ghosting is assumed and the game server's last recorded location is used.

This is brilliant. You could even go a step further once the relocation is confirmed and deny any weapon discharging for 5-10 minutes OR deny the weapon firing within a certain distance if the player connects to the original server.

Let's be real here though. I highly doubt this will get fixed any time soon as it's pretty much been allowed since the beginning of DayZ. Surely rocket would have seen this as a problem by now right?

Excellent ideas!

It would only stop server hopping though, not so much disconnecting in firefights.

Four of six of our group fell tonight to server hoppers. They re-positioned around us once they were spotted and came up from behind us.

Any idea when this is going to be fixed? I understand that it's an alpha, and that this is a perpetual world, but something has got to give.

How this is even allowed to continue is beyond me.

Some advice to avoid being killed, if these people log out what you should do is re-position, think where they might pop up (behind you/to the side) and then wait there trying to catch them in the act, or you could simply run away.

Some advice to avoid being killed, if these people log out what you should do is re-position, think where they might pop up (behind you/to the side) and then wait there trying to catch them in the act, or you could simply run away.

Absolutely, soon as you see someone Alt F4 you need to reposition fast, find cover and watch the areas behind or to the sides of where you last were. Or leave yourself, never stay in the same position.

Hopefully fixed soon.

Let's be real here though. I highly doubt this will get fixed any time soon as it's pretty much been allowed since the beginning of DayZ. Surely rocket would have seen this as a problem by now right?

Bingo! At last we have some common sense in this topic.

It's been said time and time again.. this mod is in Alpha. You lot are SERIOUSLY lucky you can even play this mod right now at all.

For Rocket, it's a balance issue, sure he could spend his time creating a method for preventing server hopping or he could focus on the more pressing matters like server efficiency which he undoubtedly is because that's considered to be a higher priority than making sure you don't die in a game..

The purpose of Alpha is to test, not to derp about the place seeing how many "l33t pl4y3r killz!" you've managed to obtain along side all your rare gear. This isn't a perfectly functioning game that the dev's have time to just snap their fingers to resolve balance issues.

Use your heads lads for god sake.

It's been said time and time again.. this mod is in Alpha. You lot are SERIOUSLY lucky you can even play this mod right now at all.

For Rocket, it's a balance issue, sure he could spend his time creating a method for preventing server hopping or he could focus on the more pressing matters like server efficiency which he undoubtedly is because that's considered to be a higher priority than making sure you don't die in a game..

The purpose of Alpha is to test, not to derp about the place seeing how many "l33t pl4y3r killz!" you've managed to obtain along side all your rare gear. This isn't a perfectly functioning game that the dev's have time to just snap their fingers to resolve balance issues.

We are all well aware of this, well aware, but it is still an issue.

It is such a large issue that things will need to be experimented with over time, hence alpha...

There's no problem in trying things out now but I also see where you're coming from

Still quite a big issue for all players, if alpha is for adding features and beta is for fixing them then this should be the first fix once dayZ hits beta

The "it's an alpha, be lucky you can play it" quote is garbage. The mod is playable, to an extent, but having issues like this and other game breaking things prevents feedback. Things like this will keep players from playing. How is improvement supposed to take place when people get fed up and stop playing the game - thus unable to provide feedback?

Edited by baffula

So tired of players doing this. I know it happnes a lot during firefights to get a better position but my issue is more with server hoppers looking for loot.

Example:

You're 15m from a tree stand then all of a sudden a guy spawns in it and shoots you in the face.

Another example:

Last night I was crawling through elektro, being extra careful with the new zed aggro. As I pass the store I free look inside the window to check for loot. Dude spawns in and shoots me in the face through the window.

It's bullshit and is ruining the game/mod/alpha wtf you want to call it. If you log out in town you should not spawn back in town plain and simple. Why not just implement something where if you log out, you spawn in a random spot within 100m of where you logged out? How hard would that be?

Please fucking fix this

Edited by Bridude

Can go the other way, someone spawned before me and got a bullet in the back, after I shot him before. Funnily both bodies where there to loot. It wasn't jdz incident, since I shot the guy from 500 m with my enfield. The player had obviously reconnected. Sadly at the wrong moment.. :D

I've camped the North Elektro Fire house and killed a ton of server hoppers. It still doesn't satisfy my frustration for getting spawn killed.

There are times it takes me a good 10+ servers to fine one that actually lets me join (stuck on loading, waiting for character to create, etc...) so I hope it doesn't punish for that

Or at least those issues are fixed so I can pick a server and join it without the need to server hop to find one that actually works.

It's a pretty bad issue but all the solutions I've seen from people so far will end up punishing legit players or just not working at all.. it's a complex issue :(