beepharoni

Infected Aggro Radius

Date/Time: 7/10/12 9:30 pm - 10:30 pm.

What happened: Infected aggro from extremely far away.

Where you were: Niznoyhe / Solnichny

What you were doing: i was crouched, in the field, a good distance out from the buildings to safely get to solnichny to scavenge for supplies. The infected would aggro from very, very far away. I would be in the crouched position to ensure that my visibilty was lower than running while standing.

*Current installed version: 1.7.2

*Server(s) you were on: US 90 TX

*Your system specs: GTX 580, i7 2.66, 6 gigs corsair dominator ram.

*Timeline of events before/after error: long and short of it is, i was running well outside the boundaries of the town to safely get around to solnichny to scavenge for a particular loot set, and infected would become aggressive from entirely too far away. i would say 4x as far away as they have in the past. I searched for patch notes stating that they were more aggressive and couldn't find anything... I just wanted to know if this was working as intended, or if this is a bug that has come as a result of the recent patch. After they aggro, i would run very very far into the woods to dispatch the infected so as to be sure not to alert others to my whereabouts.. Altho, one would see me, and it would turn into 3-4 infected.

Thanks

• Like 6

i would like to confirm this the infected agro range is glitching out im getting agro from 100m - 150m away crouch running in the grass i dont know what they changed but this needs to be fixed asap the only way to travel now is at night and even then i still get agro

• Like 1

* [NEW] Exponent driven probability introduced into visibility calculation

They seem to aggro a lot farther than they used to during the daytime, and it's about the same during the night, perhaps a little less. Basically there is now several factors that can give you away to the zombies, ie. Stance, whether you're standing in the sunlight or in the shade, what type of surface you are standing on, if you're walking or running, what type of weather etc. And if all of those are not in your favor, it multiplies them together (or so I understand).

Edited by Dasmooze1

I was prone just outside of cherno, crawling away as I had a broken leg. I looked to the northwest and could see a factory-hangar just near where the medical tents are, this factory / hangar had zombies walking around it, well over 100meters away. I keep crawling and then BAM a zombie starts sprinting so I stop and watch as he comes towards me, gnashing teeth and screaming bloody murder.

I cannot factor enviromental figures into this as if that was truly the case, every single zombe that i'd just snuck past in the same conditions would have aggro'd as well.

• Like 2

I've been seen by a Z on the horizon, well over 150 meters away, but ignored by closer ones ?

It almost seems random.

Also I was chased by a Z who apparently saw me through a hill ?

• Like 1

Confirming bug. 250 m from a tree stand, standing with binos out and boom...zed in my face. Strangely though, the other two didn't run at me, even after I laid out zed one with a 1911. also, along these lines, zombies near outbuildings are popping up 6-7 at a time. This is frustrating for a man who plans every assault on every building only to have to change tactics midway through the rush because of purpose spawning. This needs to be dealt with. It seems to be making its way to game breaker status. Good luck devs!

• Like 2

for me the new zombie behaviour is comprehensible and ok so far. it depends heavily on your "visibility factor" now as i recognized. at night it changes between 10 and 30 depending on crawling or running. then i was able to run past a group of zeds in a distance of about 20 or 30m and they didnt aggro. when i was running over an open field during sunlight my visibility factor was about 160-170. then the zeds sometimes aggroed from 50-100m distance, but only when they faced into my direction. need more testing of course to be sure.

Edited by CommanderBoiled

I'm finding this "new" experience faaaar too frustrating :/

As a fairly new player, I was only just getting used to the old aggro

Yep. This needs to be fixed.

did anyone read my post? i dont think that it is a bug that zombies sometimes aggro over pretty far distances of up to 50 or even 100m, it just has to do with the new visibility system. maybe it doesnt work 100% properly yet when zombies aggro through objects or hills but as far as i experienced it, it is quite ok now. zombies are just a good deal more challenging now. during 1.7.1.5 they were not dangerous at all because you were able to approach them up to 5m distance by just crouching and it didnt really matter if it was deep night or light sunshine.

did anyone read my post?

Yes, I read it.

maybe it doesnt work 100% properly yet when zombies aggro through objects or hills

You said it all there

You said it all there

but that wasnt the original issue discussed in this thread. most people complain about zeds aggroing over too far distances, which is not a bug, but caused by the new visibility system. you are the only one with the hill issue, i didnt experience it myself. so my quote didnt say it all ;)

I would also like to confirm that this is the case.

Date/Time 09:30 11/07/2012

What Happened: Respawned on the coast, crouch ran to within 200 metres of the nearest house, stopped prone to survey the area, noticed 3 zeds come running from behind the house, I waited to see where the survivor was they were chasing then realised a little too late they were after me. I .....died.....respawned again in a different location started to slow crouch walk to the nearest dwelling and aggroed 4 zeds again from a distance and out of my line of sight. I a now hiding out in the hills too scared to come down!

Server: UK London.

System Specs: i7-3770K @ 3.5GHz, Nvidia GTX 670, 16GB 1600mhz RAM, Win7 SP1.

Curent installed version: 1.7.2 with latest beta.

• Like 1

Its definitely bugged, had them aggro while I was lying down and motionless. One went nuts and headed towards me, stopped nearby then walked back in the other direction.. As soon as I made one movement, the same one re-aggro'd and I ended up being chased by another +4 out of the area I was in until I got them to stop.

Oh yeah, and about 12 on me when I was near cherno trying to get out.

• Like 1

i have a video of this bug/glitch and hopefully i can upload it soon im staring at a deer stand with the range finder i take 1 step to my right and one of the zombies comes running at me the range finder says 163m

Edited by devilswings5
  • Like 3

I totally understand that the visibility factor plays a role in how we aggro the zombies now. However, I am talking about being a GREAT distance away from anything, crouch running (i don't have a range finder, so i can't give a proper estimation on how far away i am exactly, but far enough that i was barely able to see the zombies in the distance with my right mouse button clicked in for zoomed vision) and aggrod a group of infected. and, to make matters worse, once ONE infected aggros, he brings up to 3 friends with him... this is not working as intended (or at least, i hope it isn't).

I understand that they wanted to do something to increase the difficulty level when creeping closer to the zombies, but when you are over a 100 or more meters away, you shouldn't generate threat on an infected and his friends, who then run at light speed towards you and give you a hard time... and if you dispatch them (even with a G17 pistol, which is what i've been using) you will then invite more infected to your location).

Personally, I think that the aggro range needs to be turned down by about 50%. So that we can still sneak around the outskirts of towns and skip areas completely without engaging hostile infected, but still stop the people from running up and tapping the infected on the shoulder before being spotted.

Just my two cents.

Personally, I think that the aggro range needs to be turned down by about 50%. So that we can still sneak around the outskirts of towns and skip areas completely without engaging hostile infected, but still stop the people from running up and tapping the infected on the shoulder before being spotted.

Just my two cents.

I totally agree, or go back to the old sight, and add smell or something, because not all zombies are going to have eyes really are they. Crows, rot etc

I don't think that another method of detection is required just yet, I think that if they reduced the agro radius (or changed the visibility stat) by about 50% it would be a happy medium. It would still provide a higher level of difficulty when navigating through towns, but allow people who are running around the outskirts to avoid detection and safely travel from A to B, and then from B to C. There's no reason that I should get spotted by the infected, while in the woods outside of berezino which are easily over 200 meters from the closest building in town.)

I love this mod, and I want to see it flourish even more than it already has. I don't want to throw around terms like "game breaking" because in reality, as long as you have a gun and some patience you can out smart those infected.. But, if you are a fresh spawn, and are crawling into town, it's going to be extremely difficult to get yourself established. I wouldn't be surprised if the average life expectency meter on the front page starts to drop from 35 minutes to around 25 if this doesn't get some attention

Same thing happening to me! I was laying down crawling through the grass when a Zombie senses me from a far, far distance. This kept happening. Wasn't sure if these was intended, due to the recent patch. Sure hope not!

Edited by Jyces

Likely will be fixed in the hot fix or soon after. Zombies shouldn't agro at x range regardless of the circumstances.

Same here.... suffered aggroing "Z´s" and aggro appears to be random. Several times i passed Z´s in crouched manner going slow... though they had their face towards me... and suddenly some Z appears from far away or behind a building and attacks.. very unplayable atm...

Glad to see that this is being confirmed by multiple sources, on what i can only assume to be a wide variety of servers. Hopefully we can get some form of a response from the dev's in regards to their plans on how to fix this.

yeah seems random. i just looted an helicopter and zeds where like.. 10 meters away. didnt aggro.. after that i went to a deerstand and zeds attacked me from 100m instandly.

also the spawn rate is a bit too high, just saw 15 or more zeds outside a single barn. cant go into town with zeds getting aggro too random. i like the visibility thing in the debug tho, even if i dont know with what visibility zeds will see you from what distance.

sry for the english again^^