Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerman

Winchester 1833

So when I first saw another survivor with a Winchester 1833, I thought "Oh look, a Winchester lever-action rifle." Later when I found one of my own, I realized it was a shotgun and it is now my favorite gun in the game due to how common ammunition for it is. After using this gun for a while, I began to wonder if it was a real gun. So I started googling Winchester 1833. I found that as far as I can tell, this gun did not exist, as Winchester named its guns after the year they were created, and Winchester didn't start making guns until 1860. Also, in the event this gun is in fact real, I highly doubt that is had a 15 round magazine. Personally, I think that the Winchester is not a real gun, and has way too OP of an ammo capacity to be such a common find, and perhaps does not even belong in the game at all. I would like to suggest that the Winchester be replaced by a hunting or sporting shotgun of real make and model, pump-action or lever-action, that has a 5-6 round magazine. I could be totally off-base with the gun not being real, though, so feel free to correct me if you know I'm wrong.

Huh... I'm not sure where I got '33 from. Still, if it was a rifle IRL I think it should be in-game.

I dont know about this rifle in particular, but I do know some little things that are interesting about the Winchester.

1) You load the ammunition like a modern pump action shotgun, you press the ammo into a slot in the side of the gun and the rounds are lined up inside under the barrel, this gives the rifle a pretty good round capacity.

2) He is probably using shotgun rounds for the rifle because those are the only rounds that use that reload animation, the real rifle I think uses a 45 caliber slug, not completely sure on that, and that round doesnt exist in the game yet.

The Winchester is a very unique rifle and changed the way armaments were made in its time, wouldnt have been my first choice to add to the mod but I can see how it would probably be a common find in a 3rd world country or even a moderateley wealthy country.

What exactly is the difference between a "rifle" and a "shotgun" if they can both use slugs?

I'm interested.. and it reminds me of the Lincoln Repeater in FO3.

Rifles and Shotguns: What's the Difference?

There are four basic differences between rifles and shotguns.

Rifle:

Grooved Bore

Single Projectile

Long Range

Front & Rear Sights

Shotgun:

Smooth Bore

Multiple Projectiles

Short Range

Front Sight Only

He is probably using shotgun rounds for the rifle because those are the only rounds that use that reload animation' date=' the real rifle I think uses a 45 caliber slug, not completely sure on that, and that round doesnt exist in the game yet.

[/quote']

the 1866 was originally chambered in 44 henry. The shotgun ammo like you said I assumed was just a place holder, but that being the case its very odd that they included a buckshot load for the gun. Either way, given that the rifle is chambered in 44 henry and to my knowledge Winchester never made a lever action shotgun at least not in the 1800's it seems very odd that 44 henry which is a rimfire cartridge would be the most common large caliber ammo in a small eastern European country or any other place for that mater. The gun is just an oddity and I dont think it was included in the game for any other reason aside from the fact that it or a variant of it appeared in Shawn of the dead lol.

Winchester began making lever action shotguns in 1887 that looked vaguely similar to the famous 1866. If that was rocket's intention however, he didn't do a very good job with it. I don't particularly care as it's a solid gun that looks great, but if people are gonna get spergy about it, simply debranding it in game would probably be a good idea.

Didn't they already admit the gun isn't real and said it was modeled off a real Winchester .44 level action, which specific model - i have no idea.

And for those arguing about the difference between rifles and shotguns - you can get grooved barrels for shotguns (with longer range ammo to match) and you can get pellet ammo for rifles (it doesn't do the barrel any favours but you can do it). This is why they now just come under the label of firearms or small arms to avoid a legal definition needing to be made.

the one in game is a '66 "yellow boy" using the old henry/volcanic repeating arms style alloy reciever. It looks like brass but it's actually something they called "gunmetal" which was a different alloy.

there is no winchester '33. The winchester line of weapons is based on the henry, which was from 1860, which was based on the volcanic repeater, an unsuccessful from shortly before that.

The '66 is a .44-40 rifle. The winchester 1887 shotgun looked quite different overall.

....not just rifles have rifling. modern guns have rifling.