Furbz (DayZ)

Dual Boxing Accs?

Anyone done this yet?

It like, bad or something if people start doing this?

I mean, logistically might be a pain in the ass even with key scripts software or hardware based but the game is only $30.. so.. not exactly impossible to rack up a couple of storage toons / accs etc is it?

I am no dual boxing expert by any means but I doubt this is possible since you don't login with a login/password, instead your game key is stashed in your registry so you would need two computers with 2 different copies of arma to run two accounts at once.

// Edit

Forgot to answer your other questions (sorry).

I think it would be bad if people started using second accounts as mules doing things such as going into the city for medical supplies instead of risking the loss of their gear from a conflict with players/zombies or just being a server hopping tent basically.

The game is relatively quite cheap but like I stated above I think you would need two computers in order to play two accounts simultaneously.

Edited by Rollie Pollie

I've been dual boxing for some time now, so it's completely possible. At first I bought the second Operation Arrowhead thinking I'll just use the character as a super safe storage mule. But then I tested out actually dual boxing the accounts and I'm happy to say I can run both at the same time with good settings at 45 fps.

I can alternate between the clients by simply alt-tabbing.

I can tell ya, being able to over watch yourself with an AS50 and L85A2 from 700 meters away while you loot with your other toon seriously makes a difference.

Not only that but I'm able to use the other character for group play when my mates are online and the other for solo play when they aren't, so it's pretty sweet.

Setting it up on the same computer and same windows user is certainly possible and quite easy at that, but you'll have to know what to do. There's a registry key in the windows registry that is stored when you boot up OA. That key defines which character or rather which copy of the OA is loaded. By alternating between these 2 keys using a single double click shortcut on my desktop I can change the key with no trouble. After booting both clients with seperate keys I can switch and hop servers no problem and use both characters at the same time just as long as I don't exit either client.

Completely doable, easy and efficient :)

Edited by Russel

I've been dual boxing for some time now, so it's completely possible. At first I bought the second Operation Arrowhead thinking I'll just use the character as a super safe storage mule. But then I tested out actually dual boxing the accounts and I'm happy to say I can run both at the same time with good settings at 45 fps.

I can tell ya, being able to over watch yourself with an AS50 and L85A2 from 700 meters away while you loot with your other toon seriously makes a difference.

Not only that but I'm able to use the other character for group play when my mates are online and the other for solo play when they aren't, so it's pretty sweet.

Setting it up on the same computer and same windows user is certainly possible and quite easy at that, but you'll have to know what to do. There's a registry key in the windows registry that is stored when you boot up OA. That key defines which character or rather which copy of the OA is loaded. By alternating between these 2 keys using a single double click shortcut on my desktop I can change the key with no trouble. After booting both clients with seperate keys I can switch and hop servers no problem and use both characters at the same time just as long as I don't exit either client.

Very nice, I may actually try that since I always want to play DayZ but I don't want to move away from where my squad and I had logged out on my main character.

I didn't think about changing the key once a client was already open, clever.

Edited by Rollie Pollie

Nice, thats what I totally thought.

I have 4 actual hardware machines that could run 2+ accs easy anyway, not that I would bother haha. But thinking about cranking 2 on the same computer would be at least interesting to give a crack at.

Curious to see what the community and admin stance on it is, technically it goes against the whole realism thing they wanna go for, but then again...

Ever used key replication software while doing it? I don't imagine it would work that well but there is a possibility.

Any chance you could share how this shortcut of yours works? :P

I figure I'd like to give this a shot, though just for storage... I think we'd be able to just purchase the OA expansion for $15 and run DayZ, so it's even cheaper!

Edited by Sibelius

You can make a .reg file using the notepad.

File looks like this:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2 OA]

"KEY"=hex:XX,XX,XX,XX,XX,XX,XX,XX,XX,XX,XX,XX,XX,XX,XX

you can find your OA key from that same path using regedit. Just make 2 of these .reg files and put the other key in the other one, and the other in the other. Replace the Xs. It's a always a 15 pair code. After that you can double click either .reg file and it will replace the key.

Have fun.

1. Install operation arrowhead

2. open windows start menu

3. type in the search "regedit"

4. open regedit

5. using regedit open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

6. open SOFTWARE

7. open Wow6432Node (win7)

8. open Bohemia Interactive Studio

9. open ArmA 2 OA

10. On the right hand side of the window, double click the file that says KEY. Those 15 pairs of numbers and letters are your character specific key. This determines which character is being loaded when you start your OA.

11. Write down the key. Only the 15 pairs.

-----------------------------------------------------

Now you will need to buy another copy of the Operation Arrowhead, so you will get another key for your other character.

You can install that copy either by

A ) Installing it under a different windows user on the same computer

B ) Installing it on a different computer.

After you have done either, repeat the 11 steps above.

When you have both keys written down:

12. Open notepad

13. Copy paste this in to the notepad:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2 OA]

"KEY"=hex:XX,XX,XX,XX,XX,XX,XX,XX,XX,XX,XX,XX,XX,XX,XX

14. Replace the 15 XX pairs with either key you wrote down.

15. Save the file as

16. Save as type "all files"

17. name your file mycharactername.reg

Repeat steps 12-17 but use the other key code you got from the other Operation Arrowhead.

To play both characters at the same time:

18. double click either of the .reg files you just made. Hit ok and see if it says the changes have been successfully added to the registry.

19. Boot up operation arrowhead.

20. Get on a server.

21. Press esc.

22. Alt + tab out of the game to the desktop

23. right click the other .reg file you made. Check if it says the registry was successfully updated like last time.

24. Boot up another instance of operation arrowhead so that you have 2 open.

25. Get on a server.

26. Alt + tab between 2 characters!

If something's fucked up, try using REGEDIT5 in the start of the file instead. Try running the reg files as administrator oor... use google! That's what I did :D

Edited by Daddy'o
  • Like 1