Time Glitch

What MineZ is Doing Right, and What DayZ Could Learn From It.

Good. Certain playstyles should have certain benefits and downsides. Not everything should be balanced.

You want to play solo, be able to keep more loot for yourself, and become a smaller overall target to enemies? Fine, then you have to understand that you don't have the manpower to engage larger targets and you have to be wary of being picked off by entrenched people. If not, then join a group. You lose the benefits of being a lone wolf, but you gain the security and comraderie that comes with a squad.

This is how it would be realistically. DayZ shouldn't conform because it isn't "fair."

Grow up.

Other than you're forgetting one very important thing: Being an asshole bandit HAS NO DOWNSIDES.

That sniper up on the hill? No downside whatsoever to doing what he's doing. Me looting the town, trying to survive without resorting to PKing? Major downside.

Edited by Time Glitch
  • Like 1

That all sounds _horrible_. You're trying to make this mod into something that it is not. Please, if you do read this Rocket, just do the opposite of what OP said. Thanks.

I agree.

Other than you're forgetting one very important thing: Being an asshole bandit HAS NO DOWNSIDES.

That sniper up on the hill? No downside whatsoever to doing what he's doing. Me looting the town, trying to survive without resorting to PKing? Major downside.

Snipers on a hill die all the time?

WTF are you saying. You are alone on this I'm sorry most people here understand how the game is played and why it plays the way it does. People have told you many times Rockets intentions for the game. You still try to argue your point of making DayZ easier/user friendly.

Im sure the bugs will get ironed out.

Seriously Rocket just interviewed at Rezzed like 2 days ago and everything he said goes against everything you just stated period. So give it up. He said if you want to stop snipers from camping elektro killing noobs on your server get some people together and do something about it.

Whats so hard to understand nothing is gonna change here with that.

Snipers on a hill die all the time?

Really?

When was the last time you EVER saw a sniper die?

I've watched countless streams where they just SIT up there, ALL the time, and NOTHING happens to them.

WTF are you saying. You are alone on this I'm sorry most people here understand how the game is played and why it plays the way it does. People have told you many times Rockets intentions for the game. You still try to argue your point of making DayZ easier/user friendly.

Im sure the bugs will get ironed out.

Seriously Rocket just interviewed at Rezzed like 2 days ago and everything he said goes against everything you just stated period. So give it up. He said if you want to stop snipers from camping elektro killing noobs on your server get some people together and do something about it.

Whats so hard to understand nothing is gonna change here with that.

I watched that interview. He also said that we currently do not have the tools to do something like that. And we need those tools so that asshole bandits don't keep dominating the game.

He also mentioned something along the lines of "We are the architects of the world, and the players run that world." What I'm saying is that the architecture is currently flawed, which is why I'm suggesting the rebalancing of the loot tables to make military weapons more rare. It WILL help with the sniping problem, that's for sure. But, those who are dedicated enough will surely find a way to keep doing what they're doing.

Edited by Time Glitch

Really?

I've watched countless streams where they just SIT up there, ALL the time, and NOTHING happens to them.

Lets see, Puddn's stream. He is an excelent sniper with a group to support him, and he has died. The guys I play with, killed several snipers.

Yes, yes, I know "group", well like we have been trying to tell you, this is how Rocket envisioned the game. He has said it numerous times, so maybe, if you don't want to group, this is not the game for you.

This is supposed to be as realistic of a game as possible. If, IRL Zombie apoc, I happen to have a high powered sniper rifle, seems legit to me to setup outside a town on a hill and let someone else do my scavenging for me while I stay up here in relative safety, then waste them and get my loots.

Seems like you are a "nice guy", me on the other hand, I would be trying to survive. Hooking up with complete strangers, not going to happen. Having a group of people I know, to help survive, hell yes.

Edited by AADiC

I didn't miss your point. I nailed it on the head.

Everyone's argument to this is "Start playing X way and you won't have a sniper problem anymore"

So again, I ask, now who's punishing a playstyle?

your choice to not want to snipe, is your own, it has the downside of shorter range, period. as a sniper you have the down side of the poorly being able to engage in close range, and you will draw more aggro. both of you have just as much camo ability, each choice has ups and downs, the problem is, your not spotting the sniper, and thats your fault in the end. inr eal life this is true to. snipers can engage over a mile away, what teh down side to that? otehr then having to be able to do it?

The fact of the matter is that currently a solo, non-sniper friendly player is getting punished. THAT is who's getting punished in this game, and yet nobody's crying foul about that. However, whenever those of us who do play like that say "Hey, we're kinda tired of getting sniped whenever we decide to loot a building", everyone starts shitting their pants over a possible reduction of high-tier weapons. They aren't GONE, they're just more rare. You can still snipe me with a CZ or Lee Enfield, you know.

heres the problem, int his you say sniping is the problem but you say we can still do it, i can one shot you with a cz just like i can with a m104, so why is the cz more acceptable. Further mor your problem isnt with smiping, its with murder, and i address that below.

My suggestions simply help out us solo friendlies a bit.

no it isnt, that sniper who kileld you was alone, you want to nerf him because you didnt spot him. im trying to be reasonable, but you dont want balence, you want a downside to ebing a murderer, and you want it to be harder. that guy with the rifle has to go into town too, he has to get food and medicine, he had to even get that gun. everyone has to trade roles at sometime.

ADAPT is not an argument.

Not only is it an argument, its a core feature of the game, rocket said this, if your doing the same thing over and over and you exspect it to change the outcome, your insane, adapt to the problem, and find a solution. either scout better, loot diffrently get a group or a rifle.

the only differnce between a bandit and a survivor is one will murder. both have groups. you want to give murders ad ownside liek real life? get 15-20 survivors on a server, and make a safe zone, then bandits have a downside, they cant go in there. the only reason murder has a penalty in the real world is theres a big enough force (goverment, army, police) to say its bad and they will punish yiou. replicate that in game. the mechanics are tehre to support it,

downside? he can be shot too, jsut liek you by someone else, he can get snuck up on because hes focused on the city, he will draw every zombie in teh tri state area with his gunfire, he then has to go into that city to get your stuff (now hes in your shoes) tehre are plenty of downsides.

and by the way, the devil dog guy i told you to youtube, he has plenty of videos of walking up to the airfield, alone, with an AK, and getting great loot, and killing people. theres anotehr guy whos naem escapes me, he died, he respawned went to the airport and on the way got three heli crash site spawns, killed the zombies and looted them all, nota single sniper. you might be having more badluck then otehr people, but solo play works just fine.

I give up.

You all are so insistent on protecting griefing tactics (that is EXACTLY what they are) in the name of "preserving what makes the game great". For gods sake, I'm not even proposing that big of a nerf. I wouldn't even call it a nerf. It's a reduction of high-tier loot, mainly for realism's sake. It's ridiculous...

I hope you all have a very fun time playing a game where you'll never see your killer, never get a chance to fight back, and will consistently and ALWAYS be punished for attempting to be friendly. Because if things keep going the way they are, that's exactly what it will be. EVERYONE will be sniping, because in a few months time everyone will realize that it's the best tactic. EVERYONE will shoot on sight from 500m away, because there is no downside. And NOBODY will be friendly, because there will be no reason to.

Edited by Time Glitch
  • Like 1

Really?

I watched that interview. He also said that we currently do not have the tools to do something like that. And we need those tools so that asshole bandits don't keep dominating the game.

Uhhh no he didnt say it like that.

First he said he doesn't want to punish banditry that was like the first question he answered.

He said that if you have a problem with snipers killing noobs to get a group together and do something about it. He also said that they need to provide you with more tools to help you do that.

He didn't refer to bandits as assholes. Stay exact and stop trying to imply he has a problem with people camping elektro with snipers cause he doesn't.

Just because you don't have those additional tools not to do that doesn't mean you AREN'T capable of doing it.

I have been playing for like 3 weeks and I have probably been sniped like 3 times total.

If a friend needs to hit up NW airfield me with my sniper and another friend go and cover him while he loots. We only ask for mags for our current guns thats it. It feels good to help him even if we see no action sometimes.

I have a DMR he (had) l85.

It seems your one of those people that wants to team up with strangers and group and get the experience of teaming with new people. Like a LFG tool or something. This is realistic. If the world as we know it is more hostile because of more hostile players then so be it. Maybe one day it won't be as hostile because thats not the current environment. Thats what makes the game great.

I have 2 DMR's a CZ550 and a M107 and I haven't killed a single person with anyone yet. Stop trying to clump all snipers as people clumping in elektro to kill new players. I like the weapons and loot.

Think of every server as connected and the environment now is more shoot first ask questions later. The world will evolve possibly and with new additions might change that mindset but it will take time.

Anyway if you like MineZ play MineZ.

I give up.

You all are so insistent on protecting griefing tactics (that is EXACTLY what they are) in the name of "preserving what makes the game great". For gods sake, I'm not even proposing that big of a nerf. I wouldn't even call it a nerf. It's a reduction of high-tier loot, mainly for realism's sake. It's ridiculous...

I hope you all have a very fun time playing a game where you'll never see your killer, never get a chance to fight back, and will consistently and ALWAYS be punished for attempting to be friendly.

GL, you are trying to ask for changes to a game, that by the Dev's own admissions is going the direction he wants.

• Like 1

I give up.

I hope you all have a very fun time playing a game where you'll never see your killer, never get a chance to fight back, and will consistently and ALWAYS be punished for attempting to be friendly.

i dont like being sniped, i hate missing my spot and paying for it, the problem here is your arguing enforece restrictions.

in teh USA we have teh constitution, which gives us things liek free speech, i dont liek the things some people say, but i would never change the amendment to remove it, because thats their freedoms to have it.

this mod does not restrict you, it does not judge you, what your suggesting would change that, for better or worse, its what makes it orginal.

there are friendly communities out there for this game, there have been groups that set up safe zones for newbies, taxi services, medical services, trading posts, its easier to be a dick then a friend, but its the same in real life, only police change that, and so far none of the surviors bother to make a real police movement, but the game will support that when they decide to.

I understand your want for the game to change some.

I share it.

HOWEVER there are a few things that I majorly disagree with that you have said.

almost all of them require the player to "disarm", or at least drop their ability to aim/shoot for the moment.

Do you not think this is an essential part of the game? I agree that it feels like the game should be easier to make friends on, but hafting to give the other person a massive advantage, or even the ability to easily kill you outright, is a fear that should be had when trying to ally with someone? I've been in life or death situations on DayZ where my ONLY choice was to ask for help, and I have ONLY been killed in those situations, so I definitely agree that there should be more of an advantage to having large numbers. Maybe something like the Blood Bag mechanic (needing two people) but more along the lines of being able to carry friends with broken legs as though they were unconscious, and slower bandage animations without help + faster animations with.

On the issue of lowering gun chances, I only partially agree. I think there should be more high-chance areas, with smaller actual spawn chances there. That would give the players more reason to search and less to stay in single areas looking for items. As it stands, people camp at the north-western airfield, and Stary Sobor with their goal set to getting the weapons there. I'm not sure how it would be implemented, but I think players should be punished for that one-area idealism and rewarded for the multi-area searching. Maybe something along the lines of each area having it's own high-chance spawning items?

Overall you have some good concepts, but it is the fear of PEOPLE that makes DayZ seem more real than any other zombie game. In DayZ I feel like I need to THINK. It is not "Haha, good shot mate!" or "Let's just run down there and grab the stuff!" it's more along the lines of "If I DO go down there, will someone see me? Me and my 3friends could be easily taken out by one dick with a sniper..."

I know you aren't suggesting removing the snipers or anything of the sort, but the high-chance of there actually being a sniper is what makes you ALWAYS feel on edge while playing.

It's why I love the game.

I give up.

I hope you all have a very fun time playing a game where you'll never see your killer, never get a chance to fight back, and will consistently and ALWAYS be punished for attempting to be friendly. Because if things keep going the way they are, that's exactly what it will be. EVERYONE will be sniping, because in a few months time everyone will realize that it's the best tactic. EVERYONE will shoot on sight from 500m away, because there is no downside. And NOBODY will be friendly, because there will be no reason to.

Yea you should give up cause that's not what your suggesting. Well that's not the only thing your suggesting at all you suggested alot in your original OP now it seems you want to back down and say your only suggesting one thing. Which seems to be your now so narrowed focus on snipers and sniper rifles. Come on man if you have a argument be prepared to defend it. ALL OF IT.

No not everyone will be sniping because they will draw aggro and be running then. Maybe get picked off by the guy with the silenced M4.

Here is my suggestion go on youtube and look up videos. You know what most snipers in this game have in common? They use pretty much the same damn sniper spots. Elektro? Try looking on your map for Dobbryy. Stary? Look at the building area with the rusted car. Come on think on your own man. Everyone pretty much snipes at the same spots in this game it isnt rocket science.

i dont like being sniped, i hate missing my spot and paying for it, the problem here is your arguing enforece restrictions.

in teh USA we have teh constitution, which gives us things liek free speech, i dont liek the things some people say, but i would never change the amendment to remove it, because thats their freedoms to have it.

this mod does not restrict you, it does not judge you, what your suggesting would change that, for better or worse, its what makes it orginal.

there are friendly communities out there for this game, there have been groups that set up safe zones for newbies, taxi services, medical services, trading posts, its easier to be a dick then a friend, but its the same in real life, only police change that, and so far none of the surviors bother to make a real police movement, but the game will support that when they decide to.

And every single friendly community has been subject to either constant failure or constant dickery. Hackers attacked Freeside. People bait and wait for the medical group. The other trading post I saw didn't even make it past the starting block. Taxi services are done in a matter of minutes.

The fact is this: Being a friendly group is impossible when you have a world of bandits with sniper rifles. It's just not going to work. As long as distance sniping is the best tactic, there is no room for any other tactics, and that's all the game will ever be.

Yea you should give up cause that's not what your suggesting. Well that's not the only thing your suggesting at all you suggested alot in your original OP now it seems you want to back down and say your only suggesting one thing. Which seems to be your now so narrowed focus on snipers and sniper rifles. Come on man if you have a argument be prepared to defend it. ALL OF IT.

No not everyone will be sniping because they will draw aggro and be running then. Maybe get picked off by the guy with the silenced M4.

Here is my suggestion go on youtube and look up videos. You know what most snipers in this game have in common? They use pretty much the same damn sniper spots. Elektro? Try looking on your map for Dobbryy. Stary? Look at the building area with the rusted car. Come on think on your own man. Everyone pretty much snipes at the same spots in this game it isnt rocket science.

Because my other suggestions aren't even nerfs. They're features. They don't need defending because they hardly affect anyone or anything. They're there to provide some clarity. They're self explanatory and don't need defending or explanation.

Snipers don't draw aggro. I don't know where you got that, but snipers don't draw SHIT to them. If you're in a good spot, no zeds will spawn around you.

Edited by Time Glitch

Also, please understand i have been cival, ive never argued only explained and i try to do it in a calm way. i never said your ideas were bad, i never said MineZ was doing anythign wrong, or that those ideas for Minez were wrong. i have only ever stated that for DayZ they dont work out. i can respect that for you thats not good. I dont enjyo being killed sometimes, well never. but i like that it can happen like that and that i can do it too. thats just waht this is about, being brutal, rocket even said he adds things sometimes just to make people mad. this isnt about having fun, this was an exsperiment to him, it still is.

we, or we all should, value your feedback and opinions, even if we wouldnt use them, they are feedback, and ideas, thats what drives development. but also understand what your offering goes against things rocket has stated flatout are non negotiable to the goal of this, so they cant be used, they would destroy what we have. dont take offence to this, dont get angrey with it, jsut understand that this project, and you are at two diffrent places. and thats ok.

all in all i hope minez is sucessful and it does what it sets out to, its just alot diffrent then what day z is or will be.maybe when other features are added to Day Z that promote keeping people alive (like a player with realyl high medical skills) murder will happen less, maybe a player run police force will rise, who knows what the future holds. but please respect that this is jsut diffrent then what you want, no harm in having two games that are similure in genre, with a diffrence in opinion.

Edit: the reason why alot of friendly communities fail is because the structure didnt work out. they died from inside troubles, or lack of force. for it to work, they are going to need a steady force of atleast 15-20 players on, working together in a tight nit group at high tactical level, it wont be easy, nothing is. the lifespan of a bandit isnt typically higher then a survivor.

its also worth mentioning that rocket made a post at some point stating that only around 10% of the players hold the majority of kills, the vast majority of the game is spent avoiding each other, and a suprisingly large amount of players choose to live in the woods in safty. the thing is being a survivor in a world liek this, means you need to adapt to a non trusting way of life, bandits are not evil or bad, they generally dont hunt players, they just kill them when they see them, because they would exspect the same.

Edited by opticalshadow

Really?

He also mentioned something along the lines of "We are the architects of the world, and the players run that world." What I'm saying is that the architecture is currently flawed, which is why I'm suggesting the rebalancing of the loot tables to make military weapons more rare. It WILL help with the sniping problem, that's for sure. But, those who are dedicated enough will surely find a way to keep doing what they're doing.

I disagree with EVERYTHING that you have said. You sound like a whiny little baby to me, but I will try my best to address you as an adult, so here it goes.

I have kept my characters alive for VERY long times, and on highly populated servers. I stay alive because I know how to play well. I also avoid PKing, just like you, but the difference is that I know how to survive without getting shot, even by snipers.

Also, snipers are not griefing, and the architecture is not flawed. The DayZ world was built to allow players to play ANY WAY THEY WANT, which is exactly what it does. Sounds like it is working perfectly as intended to me.

If you don't like the way the game plays (including having lots of sniper rifles and military grade weapons) then go back to playing MineZ. I haven't read a single suggestion you have made that has sounded good.

Also, please understand i have been cival, ive never argued only explained and i try to do it in a calm way. i never said your ideas were bad, i never said MineZ was doing anythign wrong, or that those ideas for Minez were wrong. i have only ever stated that for DayZ they dont work out. i can respect that for you thats not good. I dont enjyo being killed sometimes, well never. but i like that it can happen like that and that i can do it too. thats just waht this is about, being brutal, rocket even said he adds things sometimes just to make people mad. this isnt about having fun, this was an exsperiment to him, it still is.

we, or we all should, value your feedback and opinions, even if we wouldnt use them, they are feedback, and ideas, thats what drives development. but also understand what your offering goes against things rocket has stated flatout are non negotiable to the goal of this, so they cant be used, they would destroy what we have. dont take offence to this, dont get angrey with it, jsut understand that this project, and you are at two diffrent places. and thats ok.

all in all i hope minez is sucessful and it does what it sets out to, its just alot diffrent then what day z is or will be.maybe when other features are added to Day Z that promote keeping people alive (like a player with realyl high medical skills) murder will happen less, maybe a player run police force will rise, who knows what the future holds. but please respect that this is jsut diffrent then what you want, no harm in having two games that are similure in genre, with a diffrence in opinion.

The thing is, MineZ is terrible. The only reason I played it was because they have a free server up atm.

I hated most of my time with it. Constant spawn killing, hardly any food, non-populated map forcing everyone into cities...It was terrible!

But it had lots of good ideas that I think could really help DayZ out and counter some of the problems it's having. I don't care what the hell the loud minority says, the constant deathmatching/unseen sniping/kill on sight is a PROBLEM and it needs FIXING.

But you see, in minecraft I can approach someone and ask if theyre friendly, and not worry about getting insta killed. In minecraft if someone tricks me and attacks me, I still can win really easily.

In DayZ, because of the latency, desync issues, and 1 shot kills, there is no way to win if someone wants to ambush you or trick you. That is the core difference that makes Minecraft much more superior in group play.

However, what is a zombie simulator without guns?

The thing is, MineZ is terrible. The only reason I played it was because they have a free server up atm.

I hated most of my time with it. Constant spawn killing, hardly any food, non-populated map forcing everyone into cities...It was terrible!

But it had lots of good ideas that I think could really help DayZ out and counter some of the problems it's having. I don't care what the hell the loud minority says, the constant deathmatching/unseen sniping/kill on sight is a PROBLEM and it needs FIXING.

Whats wrong with it? How is it a problem? Also the 'problem' isnt even as widespread and gamebreaking as you say it is.

12 Million survival attempts, only 2 million at the result of PvP.

It is so easy to avoid PKing, just the ones that complain about it refuse to change their play style to avoid it. You can 'survive' without ever having to set foot in Cherno, Electro, and the NW Airfield, which are the major hotspots for player on player activity.

Im currently at 4 days played (42 hours), 475 zombie kills, and 25 murders. I kill when I need to, when I might need to, or when I think they might have something of value on them.

19 of my kills are sniper kills (Only 4 of them are beyond 300 meters, but most further than 100) and checking bodies isn't even worth it anyway because any player with anything good on them DCs after they die so their corpse vanishes.

4 of my kills are with my M4A1 CCO SD at far range (200 meteres)

2 of my kills are with my M9SD at very close range (These were very high risk encounters, that if I had to repeat, I would avoid.)

alls i can telly ou is what rocket has said he wants to add.

he wants to add reasons to not kill each other, such as gainign profincey in skills (local to only this life) meaning things can be build or crafted or done that would be harder if not imposible in a smalelr group.

he intends on making more customazation

he wants to make the world bigger (thus spreading the population out)

doing this will go along way into what you your suggesting without limiting anything. hes also stated that the stats show the game isnt just a death match, and he doesnt intend on it being a deathmatch.

but he wants to do it, without imposing any game enforced penalities to anyone, this will all take time, but i think the other problem is day z doesnt have a problem with any of the things your mentioning, this is something rocket himself stated. you may think its a problem, and its an opinion i wont argue with you, because its yours. but as hes teh developer, its both his intention and will to have the game as it is now. which means its not a problem, its a feature. i hope that when otehr features are added, to give players like you who wish to no pk, that make your lives a bit easier or safer you find joy in Day Z, but right now they are not there, and even when they are added, one dick with even a cz can drop you from well outside the city on one shot. sometimes its just a sad story, but rocket also love drinking the tears of the angrey, so i guess it all works out.

I don't completely agree or disagree with what you say, but there is one thing that I agree with more:

Player identification.

IRL it's easy to recognise someone you know.

If the "ID" overhead name appeared at a very short range only (<=15m) it wouldn't be gamebreaking and show how people know each other from sight. Note: There is a possibility to customise a MALE character with glasses and different faces by the way. You guys should try it out if you work in a group, but it's very limited..

Grouping up has great benefits, while solo play isn't punished.

This is something DayZ struggles with

Most retarded point in the whole text

-More eyes watching their sectors

-Higher situational awareness

-More guns sending hell down range when things go to shit

-More inventory space which allows you to carry car parts and other stuff without sacrificing food+water

-Ability to guard corpses in case someone dies

-Ability to define roles that cancel out each others disadvantage

But OOHHHH you need artificial gameplay mechanics to give you an actual reason to form a group....

You really are one hell of a fool, go play MineZ

Edited by Hawk24

TL;DR and also dont care.

mineZ can learn nothing from dayz and vice versa. stop BSing.

This. Except I actually read OP.

• Like 1

After reading through both this topic as well as the mirrored Reddit post, it seems that OP only really cares about his viewpoint and viciously lashes out at anyone who disagrees.

For those who want a summary: OP isn't very enthused that his calls for a bias towards groups and non-pvp interaction (Something that is obvious just from browsing through his previous posts) and declares that Rocket actually modeled DayZ after Trammel from UO and we should all be friends instead.

Hilarity ensues.

Edited by Sovot
  • Like 1