andy_uk15@hotmail.com

Maintaining weponry / Degradation of equipment

I was thinking about the reliability of rifles, and how they should degrade over time necessitating regular maintenance, to ensure the gun doesn't jam, while being at its most accurate in the heat of battle. Something to do around the campfire - stripping and cleaning the rifle, perhaps.

A simple right click of the gun and selecting the appropriate option should do the trick... Such an operation could take anything from 30 seconds to up to a minute.

Weather conditions such as rain could also accelerate the process of wear & tear of the gun.

The amount of maintenance required would vary between each gun... SA80 may require regular cleaning where as a Kalashnikov can be neglected for a while.

Anyway, just an idea. Imagine taking aim at the screaming horde - rapidly approaching; AIM! pull the trigger! And hear little more than a *click*...:-/

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

As a scroll down option that would start a lengthy animation. Sure.

"Cover me! I'm cleaning my gun!" - would become quite frequent though.

However, the timing of this should be randomised, sometimes it could take a while (especially in the dark) and sometimes it shouldnt be much of a problem.

A few minutes of standing still should do it.

As a scroll down option that would start a lengthy animation. Sure.

"Cover me! I'm cleaning my gun!" - would become quite frequent though.

Well.... No... You would only clean your weapon in downtime... Not really for running through the streets of Cherno.

IF the weapon jams, you would unjam, by hitting the reload button; or switch to side arm.

IF it's lacking accuracy, you will fix it the next time you have the chance... Not in the middle of a firefight

You may have to. Just saying.

No weapons other than your jammed one? Zombies coming in slowly but surely?

I'd clean/unjam it asap. Regardless of what sitatuation I was in.

Actually, you'd have to be pretty calm/unflustered to pull this off, so panting etc would slow down the time it took to unjam or clean. I dunno, just throwing around more ideas :P

"Cover me! I'm cleaning my gun!"

So long as this is mainly avoided (regular maintenance during off-time at the campfire being more than enough), it'd be a good feature.

It also adds a dimension to your choice of weapon.

Shall I take the M107 that needs work done every 10-20 shots fired, to maintain its high accuracy...

Or settle for an assault rifle, only needing maintained once in a while (dependant on usage), and can be disassembled and reassembled much faster.

Add item: Field cleaning kit

Use on current weapon to keep it working properly or repair it.

Agreed. I think this is a good idea.

There should, however, be an indicator that shows how dirty your weapon is, similar to the food and water indicators.

In real life, you wouldn't simply ignore the state of your weapon. Now, since DayZ doesn't force us to press a button to find out if we're hungry or thirsty, we shouldn't have to press a button for this either.

I like the idea of adding weapon cleaning as another survivor activity. I hope there will be nice animations for it, if they do it, not just the standard 'does stuff' one. :3

I guess your weapons performance would be an indicator alone.

When its accuracy is not as good as what it had been, for example...

Edited by ScramUK

i agree you'd need an icon. if we are talking about maintenance rather than sudden breakage, and i believe that would be the most interesting way to implement it, generally you would notice the gun degrading before it actually needed work. i.e the oil is getting dirty i need to clean it and re-oil. +1 for slow degrading, occasional work required. i'd like a freshly spawned gun to have a random value of damage, meaning sometimes you'd have to fix a gun up before you could use it - very cool feature imo. perhaps the worse condition your gun got the more chance of jams, with each jam removing a chunk of the weapon's 'cleanliness' so that a jam will increase the likely-hood of future jams, with a very very very small chance of a jam even with a weapon in perfect condition.

this could get very annoying though, so i think it should be something that might require attention after say 3 magazines worth of rounds for the average AR. you could also have different guns require more attention than others. so an AKM, built like a tank and with sod all components in it would last much longer without work whereas an m24 would need to be checked out after much less rounds.