alaness

Survivor trading camp

I've been thinking about this for a few days now and I think it will be an excellent scientific experiment into society formation. How about a small tented trading post somewhere like the lighthouse where survivors can meet up and trade items for goods or services. Kind of like a market. People can trade food or ammunition for weapons, or hire other players as mercenaries for raids.

Say if you fixed up a car, you will be able to start earning sweet loot off other players in exchange for rides to locations. Or if you've got a load of blood packs you can camp out and make yourself a doctor.

The only downside is there will be a lot of bandit raids, but that's the nature of the game, so traders may need to hire guards. After awhile the post might start gaining a permanent population of survivors, who have taken on roles in the community.

Just an idea, what do you guys think?

-Alan

See I really like this idea, but the mentality everyone has of killing on sight, or betrayal will just ruin this. Although betrayal is a part of this game, it doesn't need to be the centre. But you can't decide how someone plays a sandbox game.

I like the idea but as you say there would be bandits aplenty.

It wouldnt hurt to give it a go though.

YES! introduce AI players to guard the place and MAX out their difficulty. And introduce some sort of post apocalyptic fiat money that trade posts accept. You can trade goods for the currency. Add a board to the trade post that has the names of all bandits and a bounty for them. This would be awesome but a lot of work. If Dayz is to make it huge I expect stuff like this.

YES! introduce AI players to guard the place and MAX out their difficulty. And introduce some sort of post apocalyptic fiat money that trade posts accept. You can trade goods for the currency. Add a board to the trade post that has the names of all bandits and a bounty for them. This would be awesome but a lot of work. If Dayz is to make it huge I expect stuff like this.

Silver and gold~!

NPCs? No no no no no no, please.

NPCs have no place in a completely player-run world.

@OP, What you're describing? People are doing it already, completely by themselves :D

Search for Freeside Trading Company

NPCs? No no no no no no' date=' please.

NPCs have no place in a completely player-run world.

@OP, What you're describing? People are doing it already, completely by themselves :D

[/quote']

The servers hold about 50 players max. There's not enough players to do this on their own. Who wants to stand around guarding a town for endless hours?

I think the trading post is a great idea, I would surgest making it need resorces to keep functioning properly

i.e the trading post itself will consume Food and Water, just like any other small population would, so it will need to be looked after.

It could be scripted that if a tent contains 20 water and 20 food it changes into a larger tent with a few barriers and will consume 5 food and 5 water per day

40 water 40 food, changes larger tent into bunker with barriers and will consume 10 food and 10 water per day

60 water 60 food, changes bunker into a complex with guards and fixed weapons etc and will consume 15 food and 15 water per day

Of cource if the food and water at the complex drop below the minimum levil it will revert to a bunker then back to a large tent and so on.

Currency is never going to be implemented in Day Z and the only guards that would be around, would have to be players.

The servers hold about 50 players max. There's not enough players to do this on their own. Who wants to stand around guarding a town for endless hours?

No, some of the servers hold 50 players max, there a fair few that can hold more. This is only going to increase in future versions of the mod.

From what Rocket said i imagine most player made buildings/camps will be underground and instanced. I suppose the reason being so the landscape doesnt become full of player made camps and also this could prevent players from ghosting in. Though this wouldnt stop bandits from camping nearby.

If you want to do it, then do it. Rocket has specifically stated that he wants to avoid hard-coded rules that dictate gameplay (specifically regarding punishment for PvP, but the point stands), so if you want a trading post, build one. Get a group of guys, throw barbed wire around Devil's Castle, and let people know there's trading to be had. Fix up a bus and give people rides, but just be ready to defend yourself.

If you want something to happen in the game, you do it.

Bingo. That Devil's Castle thing I mentioned? They did it for a weekend, and it was a smashing success. The only thing that stopped it was a hacker raid, but what're you gonna do about that.

Still dont understand what the logical argument is against NPC guarded towns but you guys are the experts I guess. Also dont see whats wrong with a fiat currency idea for trading. In real life, trading always leads to problems that are fixed by fiat money or a currency.

Sure they may have had a trading camp hosted by players one time but thats it. Im guessing the people who pulled it off got tired of guarding a place for hours.

When he says "Currency will never be implemented and guards have to be players"

he just gave absolutely no reason other than stating it as a fact or something. What is wrong with that? Again I havent heard a good argument that would convince me that it is a bad idea. Rocket has specifically stated what exactly?