Denuth

1.7.2 Opinion thread. All your opinions, good and bad, go here.

Finally zombies are actually a threat, instead of a minor annoyance like they were before.

This will hopefully discourage lonewolfing and force survivors to work together.

Zombie behaviour makes sense. If you see them they can probably see you as well. But if you stay out of their sight you can run up surprisingly close to them.

Now just fix their zigzagging movement and then make them run inside of buildings too.

This is a zombie apocalypse, zombies should be a bigger threat than players. This version is a step in that direction.

edit: i'm pretty sure rocket said they aren't undead cratures, just humans infected with a virus that makes them rage and behave like animals.

adding features and other things to promote grouping (class skills ect) are all fine and dandy, but making the game incredibily hard to the point you have to be forced to group is bad form and a bad way to go about things, some of us have lives and jobs and can't always wait around 2 hours for all of our buddies to log on or wait for a bunch of clan members to get everything organized before they are ready to go on a hunt / scavenge run, I'm all for PROMOTING group play and I'm grouping with friends and family in this game quite regularly but no one should ever be FORCED for group play. sometimes people play lonewolf cause they only got a couple hours to log on, or some have jobs that require them to work odd shifts which keeps them from getting into clans/groups. as I said.

TLDR. Group play is awesome and while it should be encouraged and promoted it should NOT EVER be FORCED upon people. sometimes I just like to play alone, there shouldn't be something in the way of keeping me from doing so.

<edit> esp considering that rocket is promoting this mod as a way to play how you want when you want, he wants people to play the mod/game however they want to. FORCiNG people to do things like grouping is against what he's been promoting and trying to do

<edit2> fyi i can still solo just fine with these new zombies, sure its a little harder but i can still sneak into town and sneak out while only aggro'ing/killing a couple. i think they are fine except for running through walls, hitting through walls, funky crazy pathing, those are the things that need to be fixed and tweaked, then people would complain less i believe

Edited by ThePunisher

Oh here's a thing I am worried about - is the infection element. Twice now as a lone wolf (non bandit) I have caught an infection (not a cold) which I need anti-biotics for. There's a .22% chance that they'll spawn - I think this is a bit unfair...I know the game's unfair - but getting an infection seems to be either completely random or due to being hit a finite number of times (same as bleeding) - maybe it's my over use of the hatchet, causing me to take more hits - but the infection really should be curable even if a little taxing - but .22% chance of finding anti-biotics isn't just hard, it's a 99.88% chance of a death sentence.

Do you cary a shield or something to hide behind? If there is 5 zombies roaming around a building its quite impossible to not get noticed.

No I don't... Instead of trying to go in while there's 5 zombies roaming around a building, why not just wait a few minutes for them to wander out of the way?? Patience seems to be key in this patch. I was able to make it in and out of Chern without being spotted by a single zed while getting geared up in broad daylight, mind you I was only prone about 15-20% of the time... So you're obviously doing something wrong. Step your game up son.

For those of you complaining about "super" zeds, I don't see where you're coming from at all... From what I've seen they still don't run inside and it's still possible to lose them with the "entering a building, running out the back" trick. I hope Rocket sees you all shedding tears and makes them even harder, cause right now I see no difficulty in them. IMO zombies should put that fear in you and make you think twice before you decide to go running into that building for "epic l00tz".

PS. Zombies are fictional creatures, they can act as how the creator intends, they're not limited to being mindless, slow creatures.

Imo 1.7.2 is great.

My fps went up by ~10, and i like the increased vision range on the infected.

They weren't much of a threat before, and while its harder to avoid them now its still perfectly possible to raid towns without drawing aggro.

You just have to use prone if there are infected nearby, generally move slower, and sometimes move back and wait for them to move out of your way.

Neither me nor any of my friends have lost any of their gear, tents or vehicles and the servers we usually play on work great.

TLDR. Group play is awesome and while it should be encouraged and promoted it should NOT EVER be FORCED upon people. sometimes I just like to play alone, there shouldn't be something in the way of keeping me from doing so.

True, maybe i shouldn't have used the word "force". Let's say encourage.

You can still play alone but now it's a lot harder than before. If you have the patience and the ammo, you can solo Cherno if you want to.

But the chances of you dying will significantly decrease if you work in a group.

It makes perfect sense too, i sure wouldn't want to be all alone in a real zombie apocalypse when i can choose to be part of a bigger group where we can protect eachother.

As for the argument about playing the game any way you want to, you can. Just some ways won't be as effective as others.

Can i take my bus and drive off a cliff just because that's the way i want to play? Sure. Will i survive? Unlikely.

No I don't... Instead of trying to go in while there's 5 zombies roaming around a building, why not just wait a few minutes for them to wander out of the way?? Patience seems to be key in this patch. I was able to make it in and out of Chern without being spotted by a single zed while getting geared up in broad daylight, mind you I was only prone about 15-20% of the time... So you're obviously doing something wrong. Step your game up son.

For those of you complaining about "super" zeds, I don't see where you're coming from at all... From what I've seen they still don't run inside and it's still possible to lose them with the "entering a building, running out the back" trick. I hope Rocket sees you all shedding tears and makes them even harder, cause right now I see no difficulty in them. IMO zombies should put that fear in you and make you think twice before you decide to go running into that building for "epic l00tz".

PS. Zombies are fictional creatures, they can act as how the creator intends, they're not limited to being mindless, slow creatures.

I do agree with you on the patience thing but I really try to be patient but even if I prone and wait, usually one Zed get my from behind or somewhere else. Yes, I do agree that I'm not good at games like this but I love the game and I think the earlier version was more balanced between hardcore players and normal players cause I couldn't hear anyone of even the hardcore guys complaining about the game being to easy but now most of the people, even the ones that's good at this game complains. I don't mind to try severel times nor learn the game cause thats the fun part but when your stuck and die all the time, tries different things but it just doesn't work it just makes people bored. The good thing is, that it doesn't matter that much if I die cause I'm not able to get some good gear anyways :D

Finally zombies are actually a threat, instead of a minor annoyance like they were before.

This will hopefully discourage lonewolfing and force survivors to work together.

Zombie behaviour makes sense. If you see them they can probably see you as well. But if you stay out of their sight you can run up surprisingly close to them.

Now just fix their zigzagging movement and then make them run inside of buildings too.

This is a zombie apocalypse, zombies should be a bigger threat than players. This version is a step in that direction.

edit: i'm pretty sure rocket said they aren't undead cratures, just humans infected with a virus that makes them rage and behave like animals.

Yes and the positive thing for the hardcore players is that they can loot all bodies of non hardcore players who dies of Zed masacre :D -irony-.

Ok I know where your heading but as someone else said, not everyone wan't to team up and well I do but it's not that easy to get good people that works together as a group. I try to get friends to buy Arma and play the game but well, not that easy either.

I haven't been able to play all that much 1.7.2 yet, but I just wanted to comment again on the "zombie virus" since a lot of people seem to know know..

The zombies in this game are "infected", they aren't "dead". They're the hyper-aggressive "28 Days Later" variety.

So while having lost their mind, they are still in fact human. They've lost any sense of pain or self-preservation so they pull their bodies to the limit 100% of the time, as if it were permanent adrenaline-fueled fight-or-flight.

If they're not dead, the game should be called Day "I"....

28 Days Later infected were NOT zombies - as you say. They are super infected raging humans who eventually starve and can be killed naturally. They are not decomposing, except for the natural element of starvation - their cells are still regenerating, and they are still very much alive. They are nowhere near zombies.

The populist view of real Zombies are the George Romero variety (if you don't know who I'm talking about, leave this thread, leave the game, and come back when you actually understand the rules of this world set by Romero).

Unfortunately this line was blurred by that **** Zack Snyder's absolutely horrible, childish and poorly written Dawn of the Dead remake - they were dead runners - basically because the screenwriters wanted cheap tricks and tactics to scare and enthuse the audience - mainly because their characterisations were weak and 2 dimensional. [/imo]

The fact remains that decomposing dead bodies do indeed lose functionality and the widely accepted idealogy is that the slow moving zombies are physically and legally dead in every respect - with just parts of the brain reanimated such as the instinct to eat. This idealogy also follows through exactly to The Walkind Dead. The idea here, is that you can only kill these zombies with a shot to the head, or something similar...

However in Day Z you can kill them pretty much whatever way you can (thank god!). Coupled with the super human abilities and velociraptor vocal chords, it puts them more in line with Alex Garland's Infected - from 28 Days Later. In the literature of this movie adaptation, Jim apparently gets cured of infected by a blood transfer - this was removed from the movie - but the idea is clear - as post above says, 28 Days Later are NOT zombies.

But Day Z sounds so much better than Day I

Worse patch ever i keep losing my inventory i spawn on different places with losing all i gather before, constantly warping desync rediculous zombie agrro for eternity or very far away zombies not there but you hear them suddenly they on top of you, lag lag lag but my ms is 30?

... I'm disappointed if their view range is that far increased, the one time I actually got in to play I was playing at night and noticed no difference on zombie aggro radius.. I didn't think it had been changed at all.

Apparently playing at night is the way to go?

Its not as bad as I thought, but still could be better. I noticed the performance was slightly better, and thats the only upside. Zombie aggro works most of the time, but when it does not, its a nuisance. It feels the same than 1.7.1.5 as long as you dont have a bad luck and aggro a zombie from 50 meters away while crawling. Its annoying since there is nothing you can do 'bout it. Also the many servers I was on seemed to lag much and always have the yellow/red chain icon on. And still without a chain, other players movement seemed to be pretty laggy.

+ Performance is better.

- Zombie aggro seems strange and random.

- Many servers seem to have lots of connection problems and player movement lag.

Overall I think 1.7.2 is a degrade from 1.7.1.5, at least until the zombie aggro and lag is fixed.

Oh yes and it totally wasnt fun getting teleported into debug plains and lose all my stuff.

Edited by Shaimou

Another point, to those saying the aggro works... If we're operating under the assumption that the zombies are infected(as they are), you could stand 100 meters away and be in plain sight and they'd likely ignore you.. otherwise we'd have zombies chasing each other nonstop. It's not like they have a radar to detect non infected as opposed to infected. It has to be considered to be based off our movement and other visual identifiers, if someone's 100m away from me, I can perceive them, but not with great detail.

Additionally, tall grass etc is in the game as a eye candy, not an actual visual block, trees seem to be the same for the most part(walking in a forest doesn't lower my visibility. So something that should realistically provide us cover does nothing of the sort(And I can understand this from a game perspective... the performance hit that would be required to have grass actually reduce our visibility would likely be staggering), and this leads to a false sense of security. Apparently if you play with low graphics there isn't grass or as much of it, I wouldn't know as I always play with maxed graphics, but that also leads to an advantage for other players.. Hey I can lower my graphics and spot idiots who think they're hiding in grass! Doesn't seem right to me.

Ok I know where your heading but as someone else said, not everyone wan't to team up and well I do but it's not that easy to get good people that works together as a group. I try to get friends to buy Arma and play the game but well, not that easy either.

If you weren't from Sweden, I'd say come play with us, but I imagine your ping would be rather high on a TX server... Also I'm not sure of your money situation but all it took for me to get my friends to play, was gifting my friend with the "loudest mouth" Arma over steam, shortly after the others joined in...

Worse patch ever i keep losing my inventory i spawn on different places with losing all i gather before, constantly warping desync rediculous zombie agrro for eternity or very far away zombies not there but you hear them suddenly they on top of you, lag lag lag but my ms is 30?

Moan more please, let me grab some popcorn. :D

I've had none of these issues.. I might suggest reading the server name/info before joining, to make sure they're running the correct update/alpha. As for your gear, deal with it! The mod is in alpha, unfortunately we will all have to deal with these losses/bugs/etc... We are all testers, not players.

• Like 1

My opinion of this update is: F A N T A S T I C !!!

This Zed bolster is great way to adding more feel of dangerous infected,not like from 1.70 or 1.6 where they were just moving sticks.

New players which flood forums with:''I can't play anymore'' or ''Zombies shouldn't see so far!!!'' are playing completely wrong.When I started playing this update I was killed by rampaging hacker and lost all top gear military grade stuff ( M4 CCO SD :((( ) I spawned near balota and then when I pulled zeds which you can easily lose with going zig-zag around obstacles or entering one way inside building then running through other,I found AKM and 1 magazine,shot 2-3 zeds who were chasing me and went out and after dozen spent bullets and half a dozen kills,found G17 and another AKM magazine.It's still very simple to play.

Also while I'm writting this I hope somebody from day Z team sees this and decides to take up bulletproof vest impletaton :)

And Zombie sight is O N L Y good if he is looking in your direction !!! I once sprinted 20 metres behind 2 walking runner's bacs and they just went on they're route!

ANOTHER PROOF is that I went with God-damn Freakish 50 km/h tractor thrgough a village whihc I estimate was inhibited with dozen to score zeds and I attracted only 3 of them.

Zeds are still laughing stock,bandits can be easily killed but hackers still are greatest predators on servers.

This was my opinion and of course FINALLY YOU SAVED FPS,now I can run on High graphics without even single stuttering!(before I had to run on very low)

Well done! ;)

• Like 1

I used to sneak a lot, just like all of you, but then i took super zombies to the face...

Yeah the new patch is horrible, i could sneak into towns and barns before this patch, but now i have to crawl, all the time. Otherwise zombies see me from miles away, they usually see me before i see them and that ends up in me getting flanked and backstabbed. And i think they can see through houses now, because sometimes they come running from behind houses right into me.

I think I've figured out why this new patch is causing infected to agro farther...

Rocket programmed the infected AI to use 3rd Person! :P

The infected still climb ladders? That is the most stupid thing I ever see..

Also the X-Ray vision they have.. well I hope the devs are going to fix those unbalanced stuff soon..

oh, and one more thing, there should be an option to add servers to a favourite list.

• Like 2

Its not as bad as I thought, but still could be better. I noticed the performance was slightly better, and thats the only upside. Zombie aggro works most of the time, but when it does not, its a nuisance. It feels the same than 1.7.1.5 as long as you dont have a bad luck and aggro a zombie from 50 meters away while crawling. Its annoying since there is nothing you can do 'bout it. Also the many servers I was on seemed to lag much and always have the yellow/red chain icon on. And still without a chain, other players movement seemed to be pretty laggy.

+ Performance is better.

- Zombie aggro seems strange and random.

- Many servers seem to have lots of connection problems and player movement lag.

(this one is not a lag bug on servers its an performance bug on the client side)

Overall I think 1.7.2 is a degrade from 1.7.1.5, at least until the zombie aggro and lag is fixed.

Oh yes and it totally wasnt fun getting teleported into debug plains and lose all my stuff.

Edited by Seradest

Fix the suits and it's fine. Except for the visual, it makes zombies basicly impossible to get around

• Like 1

Why is it when i log out, or lag out even sometimes when i log back in ALLLL my stuff is gone, it just happened i had an AK 74 a clip of ammo morphine so much stuff water bottle with water 3 or 4 cans or food 4 bandages and then i dont get connection with server for 50 seconds it kicks me out i log in and IM A NEW PERSON WITH NOTHING AGAIN SO FRUSTRATING WHEN I DIDNT EVEN DIE

• Like 3

finally zombies are dangerous. was waiting for this too long.

Edited by n2-
  • Like 1

Hey guys,

Whats up with the aggro range?? i getting aggro for like 40 yards from me, even when im sneaking. This has to be fixed!!

• Like 3

ah come on! stop shitting bricks when zombies finally become dangerous AS THEY SHOULD BE and you are start to whine to bring it back when they were nothing more then decoration for deathmatch.

Edited by n2-

Well the 1.7.2 destoryed meh poor Camo Suit.. So far thats my only complaint!! Other than that everything seems to be great.