Denuth

1.7.2 Opinion thread. All your opinions, good and bad, go here.

To all the superzombie lovers:

How do you sneak and manage to remain unseen? I have no problem with crawling around zombies and I can dodge them very well but my biggest gripes are that the zombie pathfinding is pretty random and you basically have to count on luck whether they keep looking away from you. At the point where the 'random generator' decides to turn the zombie around, you're a goner. And there are usually just massive amounts of zombies in the tiniest towns found in Chernarus. You evade one zombie, you find that another zombie is going to walk over you. And usually you just dont have the space to dodge them in a town. Stick your dick in an anthill and see how long you can keep it there until it starts to hurt.

• Like 2

Well...

Last night while playing against these superzeds my brother and I ended up crawling everywhere a zombie could be seen. I did more crawling in one night then I have done since I started playing a couple weeks ago. Not very fun but at least it kept me alive. While crawling, we could get pretty close. Maybe 15-20 in game feet. I did not have one problem.

The crawling thing is key here. Because even at night time, at a half crouch, not moving, and 0 for visual. Zeds still attacked me from whereever. Crawling. I was safe.

After another day trying the update, my opinion of it is in even lower. I was quite a happy chap before the update, now:

-Takes forever to connect to a server

-Constant lag and disconnections when I am connected to a server (had perfect connections every time prior to this update)

-Zeds are ridiculous for unarmed players and also people who play solo. I don't have any online friends, nor do I wish to make any. I understand that grouping should offer great rewards, but people who just want to play an hour or two after work should be able to do so without being punished. Not all of us live online and have a big group of clan mates on teamspeak.

-Loot seems almost non-existent now

It's just such a shame because prior to this update I felt like I had finally found the online game I had been waiting for for years. Still i'm sure this will all be fixed eventually, and if so I will gladly pay money for the game in the future. But for now, why are you taking massive leaps backwards?

Edited by z-layrex
  • Like 1

Well...

Last night while playing against these superzeds my brother and I ended up crawling everywhere a zombie could be seen. I did more crawling in one night then I have done since I started playing a couple weeks ago. Not very fun but at least it kept me alive. While crawling, we could get pretty close. Maybe 15-20 in game feet. I did not have one problem.

The crawling thing is key here. Because even at night time, at a half crouch, not moving, and 0 for visual. Zeds still attacked me from whereever. Crawling. I was safe.

And who wants to crawling the whole map when you are about to go into a barn or something..

Edited by Nitram

Just as I was singing the praises of the new patch I login to find that the last few hours of play have not been saved and I spawned in the same state and position as the beginning of my last session. I'm not playing until that's fixed, that's for damn sure.

I'm walking through a field and all of a sudden a zombie is chasing me! the zombie must of been about 100 yards away. I only had a 2 sight score and none on the hearing. I don't understand why they are able to see me from so far away because i used to be able to get 2 meters away from them. So i find it so hard now because i keep dying and not spawning with a weapon means i'm not able to do anything. I know they took away weapons at spawn to stop PvP but it makes it so easy to get killed of zeds.

So either reduce the scale on which the zombies are agroed or spawn with a weapon.

Another problem would be that im continuously getting disconnected from servers after about 1 hour. It comes up on the screen in red saying "losing connection in (e.g.) 30 seconds) this number continuous to go up. An example would be that i spawned and had a akm, i went on a adventure and picked up a m107 from a crash site. later on it lost connection and i tried reconnecting and i was resumed to the previous state of just having a akm. I was so annoyed.

Anyone know of a way to stop this?

With all respect to the developer, but I'm sitting this one out.

I consider my self lucky to have been unable to play for a few days and have been killing some idle time at work by reading the DayZ forums.

With the knowledge in mind that zombies now seem to have keen sense of some kind :-)

When I logged in I did some scouting on the far edges around a few buildings until I found my self a single zombie. I walked towards it, having his back faced towards me, with degrading light conditions. As I approached it to about 10~15 yard may be up to 20 yards (crouched) and paused a brief moment to check my surroundings for possible others zeds.

When looked back at the zed I was tailing, it continued to move away from me, until it suddenly spun around and charged at me in its usual zigzagging way.

I attempted to repeat this a few more times and got similar results. Even with all light fading to blackness, I didn't feel like I could get much closer.

I don't mind that Zed's have better sense, but this feels a bit odd, it feels like i'm stepping on Zombie toes at 15 yards away.

Zed's having better sense, I don't mind, only if there is some form of grace period.

Some tell sign, that the zombie might be hearing or seeing something. Have it stop in its tracks and slowly turn towards the direction it sensed something. Instead of detect, snap turn and charge hauling zigzagging towards you.

A tell sign would be our cue to act and disappear. Stop moving, go prone and disappear or simply get a weapon ready to defend your self with.

Might do a bit more testing with throwing stuff to lure zeds away and see how close I can pass by them, but otherwise I'm sitting this one out and hope that in future patches Zeds are tuned down a bit.

Edited by wildcat
  • Like 2

Nothing new, but I wanted to add my own opinions/experience, as a semi-newbie (been playing for about a week. haven't engaged in PvP save for being scared at distant gunshots, being run over by a jerk on a truck, and running the hell away from hostile snipers trying to cap my unarmed ass):

1- The Zombies are definitely harder to hide from, which might be ok, but there definitely seem to be some bugs in which either

a ) a zed spotted you from too far even though you were hidden or

b ) a Zed spawned within aggro range, in an area that was previously clear.

2- The spawning thing is key: they are spawning too close to the player and respawning too quickly in already-cleared areas! makes it almost impossible to make a town raid plan, and forces you to often end your town runs by simply running away. It's just not fun.

3- People say it's easier now to break off from a pursuing zombie; I've had zombies following me for miles and miles of countryside, even tho I was going up hills and weaving through trees. The only surefire way to lose them seems to be to run through a building, which feels pretty cheap and a bit retarded, imo.

4- There are instant-kill bugs going on. I play with a friend, and he died by himself, for no reason whatsoever, twice. Not shot by a player, not hit by a zombie, just walking around a forest, 12k blood, and "YOU ARE DEAD" screen comes up. I died similarly, but on spawn. I connected to a server and the first thing I saw was the YOU ARE DEAD screen. Not shot by a player, since I moved back there to find my corpse with all equipment and my nearby tent untouched.

So, basically, I'd like to see some improvements in the spawning and pursuit mechanics for zombies, and of course some bugfixes for the insta-deaths and weird aggros, which are the only things that are really bothering me right now. Sure, some improvements to the food/healing systems, and later additions to the base-building could be good, but those would be secondary to fixing the fun-killing things I mentioned. I also think players should be able to easily find and pick up some very common items (chair leg, lead pipe, whatever) in order to have a basic weapon, weaker than the crowbar, but better than being pathetically unable to do anything to a zombie at spawn.

Edited by takfar

And who wants to crawling the whole map when you are about to go into a barn or something..

Oh I agree with you. I do not like crawling everywhere for miles. But I was just stating what was working for us while we hope the next patch or hot fix makes the zeds act like they did before. If I could never have to crawl. I would be the happiness person in the world.

on top of all the other issues i have with this update, now im loosing my progress often when i log back in. mid life i will disconnect and when i come back to the game im on the friggin beach again with nothing.

i have officially lost interest. i just hope big game devs have seen what a truely good zombie game could look like and get off their butts

with all respect to this mod. THIS UPDATE IS A JOKE. I mean it. I am spot from 200 m, Zombies respawn from NOWHERE. This is hardcore game ( or used to be ) with a lot of fun but now this is road through hell, i am afraid to make a step to not beeing chased by zombies :/ i thing the boarder between Flagellation and fun has been crossed. This patch is like punishment for all my sins :/

I had a strange experience in Cherno with the current version. I was looting the military tents and the hospital cause I was in dire need of antibiotics and luckily I found some. I left Cherno heading north and logged of near some bushes on the open field. When I logged in later, my character was somewhere completely else on the map with a different statistic and different gear, so I just logged off and tried to join another server. This time I spawned in Cherno, had my infection again, some gear I looted from the previous tent / hospital was also missing, also my position had resetted and I found myself near to the factory where I logged in before I went to the tents. I joined another server, found myself again in the forest, then in Cherno, forest, Cherno till I got shot. I did not like that.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Nice job removing the global and side chat.Way to ruin multiplayer experience.Clap clap clap.

Made an account just to post in this thread. This update is bad, so very bad. It seems to have created more problems than it addressed.

I think everyone that I have talked to agrees that the main issue in this game is zombie mechanics. Until zombie mechanics are fixed any "improvements" to the game seem to do more to disguise the main issues rather than substantially improve the game. I understand that an increased aggro range improves realism, but the current setting seems like it jumped to the opposite end of the spectrum. It doesn't really do much to improve realism like it was most likely intentioned since it substantially reinforces the sprint, find a doorway, and crawl out the other side technique. This technique while effective in-game does not accurately coincide with the likely real life escape maneuvers used against a living corpse. Which brings me to my next point, we are dealing with literal walking corpses here. A living corpse would not have the same endurance as a human, period. There is absolutely no logical reason why they should have a higher endurance to top it off (running up hills/stopping and going while you are at a full sprint and still keeping up). I do think that the sight improvement is a good thing, in combination with a slightly lower endurance this would be perfect. Ceteris paribus of course, there are still the zombie spawn and combat issues which are huuuge.

TLDR: Update bad, good concepts poorly executed. Zombies shouldn't be eagle-eye triatheletes, their former selves became zeds because they couldn't run fast enough....

Also no l85 and ghillie wtf

• Like 1

I was crawling through some bushes to avoid some zeds.

The 7 zeds around me didn't notice my presence at all. The one zed that did was like far away, saw and ran right towards me.

Like wtf.

One time I was crawling on the floor about 300m+. Still saw me.

post-49577-0-16732400-1342128676_thumb.p

Losing progress far too often. I guess I'm disconnecting while the servers are desynced, the notifier being useless.

And zombie sight range is too far.

I've noticed that yes, while I can still sneak around zombies, random aggro happens way too frequently. So I've taken to the easier strategy that doesnt involve sneaking, I spawned a character, ran straight through cherno, got myself an enfield and m1911, ran through stary sobor(had 5 zombies walk through tents to hit me, meh big deal I survived and got to full health), proceeded to run all over the map(I was very very lost) had around 95 kills(2x as much as a spawn I had been playing for 20-30 hours of sneaking) and then got gunned down by some guy in the woods. This all took me 1 hour... to get the same amount of gear(minus a military assault rifle), more kills, more exploration done.

Tbh I preferred it when I felt like sneaking around was effective and was useful, I can play marathon runner sim+zombie sim and it feels marginally better then l4d. When I was sneaking everywhere I felt like I was just playing a survival zombie sim and that was satisfying, yes I could have just been doing marathon runner sim before(Doesn't seem like much has changed as far as evading zombies goes), but I LIKED sneaking everywhere.

tldr: Zombie aggro range seems too far, far easier to run everywhere attracting hundreds of zombies and ignoring them then to even bother sneaking.

• Like 1

Well...

And then a sniper gets the headshot on the guy who is laying prone. Hell even if the Sniper misses he will probably get another shot off before you are able to stand and start running. Then again I hate crawling with a passion and have never had the patience to crawl for long distances. I would rather agro a bunch and run into a building and escape through another door, or add to my zombie kill count.

• Like 1

Those saying they are not playing it just remember the more people who play it and comment the more information / viewpoints there is for Rocket and team to work with.

If you don't / do think it's very good say so :) - And no, I don't think it's made the game better, I think the new patch has in some ways detracted from the "fear" and made it more of an "action" type game where fast paced jaunts through towns is really the best option. That tension from crouch-walking through a mob of zeds, the relief when your out of their area, that is kind of missing now.

Now it's a case of, run like hell, YAAAARR charge it to the nearest building, wait a sec, rinse repeat until you have the gear you want from there. The PvP is still going strong, but at the moment it has taken a back seat to starting with nothing and having to deal with the zeds like that. If your out PvP running you most likely, (should), have some kind of defence so you've probably found enough to stay away from the zeds for a while.

All of my opinions come from a solo player viewpoint.

Players are of course going to focus on the negative, as you always seem to remember the bad not the good. The update is not all bad, it's mainly the changes to the zombie mechanics that is in dispute.

on top of all the other issues i have with this update, now im loosing my progress often when i log back in. mid life i will disconnect and when i come back to the game im on the friggin beach again with nothing.

i have officially lost interest. i just hope big game devs have seen what a truely good zombie game could look like and get off their butts

It is an Alpha, not a finished product. If you like the game but are annoyed with some bugs then come back once the turd is polished. Report bugs to the development team and always remember the first rule of Chernarus, do not get attached to your gear it will be lost to bandits, falls, bugs, glitches. ghosters, LGBT insensitivity, aliens . . . well you get the point. If you want to wait two years for a big developer to develop a poor copycat game be my guest, I will put my hope in a more polished DayZ being released in the immediate future.

Have been playing since the patch before this one and really enjoyed the game, the zombies are broken with this new patch. i did some testing and the zombies have now incredible sight and will start going after you from far away, to new players with no way to defend themselves this is very frustrating expect a lot to quit with this until its fixed. Also I ran past a zombie who was looking towards the opposite direction of me and he didn't even notice me, so it's all a matter of where they are looking now, just wanted to add to the people that want this changed, zombies that will chase you from a mile away + people trying to take the only soda you've managed to get, no thanks.

Edited by xposeidon
  • Like 1

We have pushed both our servers back to 1.7.1.5 and will be keeping them there for the foreseeable future until this crap-ass patch gets patched.

Haven't been able to play 1.7.2 yet due to the overloaded servers. I'm almost hoping my character gets wiped and I have to get new gear.

Anyone know how to get the previous patch? I try and enter 1.7.1.5 servers and it detects the conflict with 1.7.2 and I can't join.

Anyone know how to get the previous patch? I try and enter 1.7.1.5 servers and it detects the conflict with 1.7.2 and I can't join.

Check out this thread. It's really easy, and what my friend and have decided to do for now. Cheers