fenrix

NZ1 kicking everyone

NZ1 has it's ping kicker set ridiculously low. like low hundreds. maby even 100.

should be at least 180-200. anything lower doesn't take into account local lag spiking players.

dropped in and watched from lobby for a bit to make sure and it was booting everyone in the hundreds out.

Only noticed because i spiked and it booted me earlier. that and its suspiciously emptyness.

NZ1 is hosted by ON3. They have unlimited national traffic, but limited international traffic.

Traffic to Australia is still counted as international traffic.

So they can run the server fine if only NZ players join. If Aussies join, they'll use up their limited international traffic allowance. My ping to the server is 47ms and I'm in QLD, Australia. So if they're going to sustain the server, they'll need to have a super low ping limit.

Basically, if you don't live in New Zealand, DON'T play on their server ;-)

limited international... but... its just data... why the frak... sigh logic fails at this point.

Why is it hard to understand?

I don't know what their limits are, but let's just say its 200GB of data transfers per month, but unlimited data transfer within NZ. If they allow Australians in their server, they'll get flooded with us (as there's more of us looking for a server, than there is Kiwis), and that 200GB will get used up in 2-3 days.

Here's an example of a typical plan/pricing for NZ dedicated server:

http://www.webslice.co.nz/dedicated-servers/

They might not have access to IP filtering to block our Australian IP ranges, so they have to use a really low IP ping limit. Last I read they had it at 60ms.

no I understand the plan, what I do not understand is the reasoning for the plan... I mean international data transfer only costs a fraction more than internal data transfer. and most companies absorb the difference to give customers better deals.

they should have a country blocker and IP range ban australia anyway. they will be blocking plenty of NZ methinks with ping kickers set low enough to boot australians.

Have increased the limiter to 180 - was just testing to see how a "low" setting would effect things.

Ping limit was 50/60ms.

NZ broadband is stupid expensive, and lower quality. You must take this in to account.

We dont want to keep everyone out, but our infrastructure cant support the load that this game produces.