senz

First impression: This sucks.

your OP is the typical comments you get from someone who hasnt got a clue. thats why you have been flamed and to be quite honest what did you expect? saying something sucks when you dont even know how the most basic controls work says it all.

you heard it was cool, thought youd have a go and bought arma, didnt bother to learn about how to play arma or even the mod your about to play and then moan about things you could of found the answers to yourself within a few clicks of a mouse? and then have the cheek to try and make your own personal inadequacies... a work in progress mods fault?

come on man, 1st impressions work both ways and our 1st impression of you was not good as you came across looking very stupid and even worse you seem surprised by this lol

QFT, good response.

Why are so many of you so incredibly hostile towards anyone who has anything negative to say.

The OP gave his opinion, and I agree he needs to watch some videos and stick at it but your responses are well... immature to be honest.

You dont have a clue

go back to cod

thats what you get for buying a game for a mod you dumb ass

etc etc

The Community around a game can make or break it, If you lot represent the typical attitude/mentality of a Day Z player then it will not last a year.

That said.. flame away and if I see ya online I'll shoot you in the face.

• Like 1

So to conclude this thread in a very mature way that noone maybe offended and such.....go back to CoD.

Wow, many of you guys are just mean.. To everyone else, thanks for the tips and thanks for the offer to help me out, but I have some friends who play and I'm probably going to try playing for a bit with them before I decide whether to uninstall or not.

I don't get how you can possibly disagree on that this game needs some serious work though.. It's not exactly polished, I played for an hour or two after I made this thread and I can't really say I've found anything that's near the standards of most games and mods these days, except for maybe the environment. Seems to me like the devs should focus less on adding more features like dogs and whatever else they have planned, and more on making everything that's already here work properly.

Ok please stop complaining, its an ALPHA version, not every problem in the game will be fixed. Also its only a MOD which was made to run on a tactical military simulator engine, (if you haven't even played ARMA itself.) So nothings going to be polished, I'm sure devs will slowly improve bugs but I honestly don't care.

Wow, many of you guys are just mean.. To everyone else, thanks for the tips and thanks for the offer to help me out, but I have some friends who play and I'm probably going to try playing for a bit with them before I decide whether to uninstall or not.

I don't get how you can possibly disagree on that this game needs some serious work though.. It's not exactly polished, I played for an hour or two after I made this thread and I can't really say I've found anything that's near the standards of most games and mods these days, except for maybe the environment. Seems to me like the devs should focus less on adding more features like dogs and whatever else they have planned, and more on making everything that's already here work properly.

Dude that's what the mean guys are saying. The game ISN'T polished and HASN'T been polished in a DECADE. ARMA veterans love it for what it is, good and bad. To really love something or someone is to love them in spite of their faults. Will ARMA3 be any better? Fuck no. It will have prettier graphics and probably some more tactical realism but it still won't be polished and I'm still preordering it to play IT not DayZ. Won't be seeing you in COD because I quit playing that shit after COD4. Some of us have been around for 11 years without telling the devs what to do. You've been here 11 minutes and you're already making suggestions to them? LOL fuck off kid.

Why are so many of you so incredibly hostile towards anyone who has anything negative to say.

Because someone on the Internet doesn't like something that they like and spend time playing, which is a direct challenge to their self-esteem and feelings of self-worth which they then feel the need to defend with childish insults (on this forum this appears to almost always take the form of references to CoD).

I also just started playing a few days ago. I like the game and plan to keep playing, but I share some of the OP's disappointment. I played Operation Flashpoint back in the day until I could no longer take its lack of polish and its wonky interface. It was a nice idea, but it was poorly executed. I hadn't touched the series in decade, so I guess I was expecting that it would have become more polished and less wonky in that time. Apparently not. I mean that inventory interface. Good lord, what a piece of shit. That may be one of the worst user interfaces ever designed. All of the menus and commands and interactions with the game world are clunky and confusing as hell. The Operation Flashpoint/Arma engine has not matured in the way I would have hoped.

As far as the mod itself, I think the idea is brilliant, if obvious: a (relatively) realistic, zombie survival game with perma-death. Finally! Thank you! But it obviously has a long way to go (yes, I know it's an ALPHA!). There's not much more to it than that basic idea: an empty world with some zombies and some loot spawns. A lot more could be (and probably should be) done to facilitate interactions between players that do not involve the exchange of bullets. The bandit skins seemed like a small step in the right direction on that front, it's confusing to me that they were taken out. Some sort of reputation system seems pretty crucial to non-homicidal interactions between players.

Anyway, as I said, I have enjoyed it so far and intend to keep playing for now. But I can certainly understand feeling some disappointment after trying it out.

It's all blurry as hell (is it like this for everyone?) so I can barely see what's what

Disable "Post processing" in the video options. I would also recommend disabling "Head bob" in game options. IMHO, the game only becomes playable after deactivating both.

It's A MOD in ALPHA. Of course there are going to be tons of bugs and a mediocre engine.

You found these forums, so why not look around here for some guides to read?

When you look at Chernarus for what it is, a huge (255km squared) map made for a hardcore military simulator, it's damn impressive how many enterable buildings there are.

Edited by spykr

Ok, so I just bought the games and spent hours setting up this game because it was rumored to be awesome, and after playing for about 20 minutes I don't really want to continue.

It's all blurry as hell (is it like this for everyone?) so I can barely see what's what, I can't seem to open doors, I found an axe but apparently that only chops trees or something, I couldn't figure out how to apply a bandage when I was bleeding from a zombie attack, everything just seems ridiculously overcomplicated and what's even the point of this game? The way I was described I imagined a game similar to STALKER and I have no problem with things being hard or anything but this isn't hard it's just boring.

I thought it was supposed to be realistic, so why can't I enter 90% of the buildings I come by? Surely I could have just broken a window with my flashlight or a rock if the door was locked? I can't even jump..

It seems like it's just a rather poorly constructed world filled with static props and the occasional item spawn, and of course a ton of zombie spawns. Is that all this game is? Just running around looking for items and staying away from zombies?

Look dude. You formed your post in the worst way possible that you cannot blame others for flaming you.

Your entire post sums up the fact that you did absolutely zero research in the game before and even after playing it.

I could fill an entire page in this thread posting different videos of tutorials on DayZ, how to play, how to survive, how to manage your inventory etc etc... Do some research and try again.

I hope you were just in a low emotional rut when you posted this because I'd like to hope in this day and age with the technology at hand that you have a decent idea on how to search for answers instead of hating everything you don't understand.

Ok, so I just bought the games and spent hours setting up this game because it was rumored to be awesome, and after playing for about 20 minutes I don't really want to continue.

It's all blurry as hell (is it like this for everyone?) so I can barely see what's what, I can't seem to open doors, I found an axe but apparently that only chops trees or something, I couldn't figure out how to apply a bandage when I was bleeding from a zombie attack, everything just seems ridiculously overcomplicated and what's even the point of this game? The way I was described I imagined a game similar to STALKER and I have no problem with things being hard or anything but this isn't hard it's just boring.

I thought it was supposed to be realistic, so why can't I enter 90% of the buildings I come by? Surely I could have just broken a window with my flashlight or a rock if the door was locked? I can't even jump..

It seems like it's just a rather poorly constructed world filled with static props and the occasional item spawn, and of course a ton of zombie spawns. Is that all this game is? Just running around looking for items and staying away from zombies?

http://dayzmod.com/f...phics-properly/ This will help you a lot and fix that blur effect you see.

http://dayzwiki.com/...des_&_Tutorials Seriously read and watch as much of this as possible. Also have you even TRIED the TUTORIAL for regular ARMA 2?

"I thought it was supposed to be realistic, so why can't I enter 90% of the buildings I come by? Surely I could have just broken a window with my flashlight or a rock if the door was locked? I can't even jump.."

Are you kidding? You realize when this game was released and the scope of the map right? If all building were enterable ARMA 2 (especially with its current level of optimization) wouldn't work on most computers ESPECIALLY at the time of release. Though I must admit the lack of jumping is a bit odd, but at least you can vault over fences/railing.

"Just running around looking for items and staying away from zombies?"

Seriously wtf, all games can be broken down to some really dumb point like yours. Metal Gear Solid series = Just running around avoiding rebels/soldiers looking for items and going through cut scenes. Call of Duty = Going around like a mindless idiot who has no care if they die shooting everything that moves. Seriously all these statements are true but don't really show what the game is really about.

Also I must say I've been playing DayZ for literally 2 days and had little to no problems (never play Arma 2 as well, yet) I mean sure I had to get used to some controls and look them up, but I didn't rage like a little kid who can't solve their own problems.

Edited by Comanglia

Yes. Now go back to CoD.

This is one thing I hate about internet communities like this one. You get these assholes who think they're hot shit because they play a game that's "harder" than other games.

The problem with DayZ and ARMA in general is that a lot of the things that make it so difficult come back to poor design decisions. Inventory management is godawful. How are there no hotkeys? Is this 1990? I can't even remember the last time I played a game that had an inventory that didn't allow you to hotkey important items. I play on a goddamn keyboard. I shouldn't have to take three to four different steps to apply a bandage. I should be able to hit one convenient key. The same goes for grenades which, by the way, are about as obtuse as possible to use effectively in the game.

Then there's the fact that there are three buttons for going prone, crouching, and standing. I mentioned this in another topic, but that is just atrocious design. You could do all of that with one button (most games do, by the way). Even two would be a vast improvement. Did no one at any point in the game's design think, "Hey, maybe if you hit the prone button again you could stand up?"

And for the record, I'm not a Call of Duty fan. I find the multi-player in those games beyond boring. I've also played pretty much every significant PC shooter from the past two decades. You name it and there's a good chance I've spent at least a chunk of time playing it. Tribes, Quake, Unreal, Team Fortress, Counter-Strike, Enemy Territory...and those are just the ones I could think of off the top of my head. I've played a couple of them competitively. I'm no stranger to PC shooters.

I also like DayZ quite a bit. But that doesn't change the fact that there are a lot of problems that, from a design standpoint, really hurt the game. Obviously a lot of those problems could also be assigned to ARMA, but that's not really an excuse. Mods can exist to fix the flaws with the game they are modifying (see: every Elder Scrolls game). Thus far, DayZ doesn't. It's fun, especially once you get past the awful controls, but if those controls were to be fixed, the game would be much better for it.

Edited by Black Dow

Turn off the post processing to remove the blur.

I play on a goddamn keyboard. I shouldn't have to take three to four different steps to apply a bandage. I should be able to hit one convenient key.

Though.. if you think about it there are several steps in bandaging yourself. I feel that kind of thing is actually a good thing as far as 'realism' goes.

• Like 1

Though.. if you think about it there are several steps in bandaging yourself. I feel that kind of thing is actually a good thing as far as 'realism' goes.

That's what the long-ass animation is for.

The learning curve is STEEP, trust me, but once you get the hang of it you'll spend 10 hours plus.

The original poster deserved ALL of the flaming.

Rather than asking questions or doing research, he dropped a burning deuce and y'all are still trying to stomp it out.

No one thinks they are "cooler" for playing "harder" games...although actually my 9 year old cousin makes fun of my 6 year old cousin for playing easier games. Maybe that describes the age group here.

A lot of us are maybe older and have played rougher final versions of games than this game is in alpha. Having to do research and ask questions on the most basic of actions is common.

New games like CoD are designed like a damned Disney ride, so we get that you don't understand. But don't go advertising you're moronic lack of understanding as evidence that the game is at fault. Or that the it's the game that is, in fact, stupid.

The original poster deserved ALL of the flaming.

Rather than asking questions or doing research, he dropped a burning deuce and y'all are still trying to stomp it out.

No one thinks they are "cooler" for playing "harder" games...although actually my 9 year old cousin makes fun of my 6 year old cousin for playing easier games. Maybe that describes the age group here.

Actually, it seems like a lot of people here think they're cooler for playing harder games. You pretty much confirmed that later in your same post by ripping on CoD, the "easier" game in this scenario. "Hey guys, look at this codfag. He doesn't know how to play real games like DayZ."

That's the kind of attitude that sours people to communities such as this one. This game has shitty controls and a really steep learning curve. I hated this game for a couple of days, as I'm sure many people here did as well (although I guarantee most of them wouldn't admit it now). Once you get past the learning curve it's a lot more fun, but the controls never really bridge the gap between borderline unplayable and legitimately good. I still feel like I'm fighting the game engine more than zombies or other players a lot of the time. You can get past a mountain of a learning curve, but you can never really get past shitty, needlessly convoluted, unintuitive controls.

Rather than crucify a guy for pointing out that this game does in fact have shitty controls, perhaps you should direct him to sources that better explain said shitty controls, at which point the game becomes playable. I agree he was kind of a dick in the OP but fighting a jerk by being a bigger jerk is counterproductive.

Edited by Black Dow
  • Like 2

20 minutes??? LOL

The learning curve to Arma2 is days or weeks! THEN the learning curve of DayZ is also days or weeks.

Try playing Arma2 for a while then come back, the tutorial mission and all that experience will get you familiar with the mechanics.

When you come back, learn to survive instead of whine....or...just go back to some online shooter or RPG game with no learning curve and lots of immediate gratification.

Edited by Slyder73

This was my first opinion.

This game needs to be played with friends.

I joined the game 1 week ago, the only thing i found was bottles and got attacked by zombies.

I was searching on forums for teams and i found few friendly guy's who could help me.

Thank you Physmatic ;)

They told me the basics, and we teamed up.

They found guns etc.

They found a gun for me so i had a Makarov.

Killed zombie's with them and survived.

That how you need to play it.

Last time i played COD was few weeks back.

COD is nothing compared to Arma 2.

I wish i could run this a little faster i got low fps.

(My CPU sucks bad ass)

LOL guys this post is nearly a month old ! Hes more likely to have grown old n had grandkids than to be satisied with your reply ><

- To remove the excessive blur effect, you need to disable "postprocess effects".

- To apply bandages, you need to open your inventory ("G" key) and right-click the bandages. The option to use it will appear after that.

- You can't enter in every building you see, some of them are just there, part of the scenario. If you find one that you can actually enter but with closed doors, all you need to do is scroll the middle mouse wheel in front of the door. That will give you an option to open it, in the left side of the screen. The middle mouse button will be used a lot in this game, it's like an "action menu".

- It's not like STALKER, because you have no quests here. The main objective in the game is just to stay alive, and trust me, it's hard.

- You can't just jump like in other FPS shooters, but you can use the "V" key to vault through small objects and fences, for example.

- You're making the game even harder by not playing the ARMA 2 tutorial, it's there for a reason. Just play the Boot Camp and learn the basics before uninstalling the game in rage, you will learn something!

PS: Just noticed that this is an old thread, but it doesn't matter, maybe someone who just started the game is seeing this, maybe it will help a little bit.

Edited by Fenrig
  • Like 1

@ Black Dow get my beans sir, I hate people on this forum who bash on Cod all the time. I can explan on how Cod CAN BE more of a team controlled game then battlefield 3, I bet you people think "what the fuck are you saying you cod kid!" Well I doubt anyone who plays battlefield 3 has has four squads (64 player game) in teamspeak/some other voice thing all magically working together to win, now this becomes invalid if you play smaller games like squad deathmatch,ect. But unless your fully communicating with your team, I would say your just runnning around blindly like kids on Cod with no Full partys, your leaving yourself to be killed by unknown variables. Now why is Cod CAN BE more of a team controlled game ( if you choose too, not everyone plays by themselves) bcause its easier to gather 6-8 people and communicate. I say this because most Cod bashes are people who play Battlefield 3 smh 9sorry for assumptions but you do the same with Cod)

Edited by Seanyboy360