goldtoaster

Get rid of this mindset

"ArmA 2 is shit, DayZ is amazing"

I've been seeing this type of message everywhere lately. On these forums, YouTube and BIS forums. Really guys?

Give some respect to the game that makes DayZ...Well, DayZ. Without ArmA 2, DayZ would just be another typical zombie shooter.

Seriously get rid of this mindset. Give some respect to BIS for creating an amazing series since OFP and give some respect to the game itself for making the mod so awesome. I don't care if you just bought ArmA 2 for DayZ, that's your money you can waste it however you please but calling the game that makes DayZ actually good terrible is just low. No disrespect to Rocket and the team. Just getting sick of all these people.

Who said Arma 2 is shit?

I haven't read it; unless a yog-tard posted it.

I find these posts every now and then. The place where they're pretty much everywhere in on Youtube. Find any popular DayZ video and you're bound to find them somewhere in the giant clusterfuck of comments.

Yeah no clue where that came from, I think Arma 2 looks quite awesome.

I mean have you seen this video!?

I personally find the teamwork orientation and communication much better in Arma 2 than in DayZ. When I get tired of lone-wolfing it, I will log on to Arma 2 and have some good old-fashioned coop play.

-Sigh- immaturity at it's finest.

If they havn't given ArmA a go then they shouldn't judge.

I like both the mod and the game.

I understand your point OP, but just to pick at one remark. I bought Arma 2 for Day Z, and have since had hours of enjoyment from the Day Z Alpha, how exactly have I wasted my money?

I must confess, I'd only played 2-3 hours of ArmA2 before playing DayZ but now I really enjoy playing ArmA2 with friends. It's buggy as hell, incredibly buggy, but damn it's fun and intense!

I understand your point OP' date=' but just to pick at one remark. I bought Arma 2 for Day Z, and have since had hours of enjoyment from the Day Z Alpha, how exactly have I wasted my money?

[/quote']Waste/Spend. Same thing to me. To be honest, not really getting your money's worth if you're just playing DayZ. Just letting the rest of ArmA 2's features just sit there and collect dust. Whatever floats your boat I suppose.

But guys' date=' it's true! I read it on the internet! No one lies on the internet... Right?

[/quote']Nigga you crazy, postin' memes n shit.

Arma 2 is a dated, buggy engine. DayZ is good because of the game concept itself, not the engine it runs on.

Arma 2 is a dated' date=' buggy engine. DayZ is good because of the game concept itself, not the engine it runs on.

[/quote']Would you really play DayZ if it wasn't on ArmA 2's engine with it's maps, models, animations, physics, weather, night/day cycle, etc...?

Arma 2 is a dated' date=' buggy engine. DayZ is good because of the game concept itself, not the engine it runs on.

[/quote']Would you really play DayZ if it wasn't on ArmA 2's engine with it's maps, models, animations, physics, weather, night/day cycle, etc...?

Yes. Other than the giant maps, pretty much every fps engine does all of these things significantly better. I have high hopes for dayz on arma3 engine.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I would not play ArmA 2 without DayZ. The engine is buggy and runs very poorly on my PC which can handle any new game without a problem. DayZ's gameplay is so much fun that I can look past the the engine's shortcomings.

To be perfectly honest, I downloaded the demo of Arma 2 when it released. I was appalled at how bad the tutorial was and how clunky and poorly designed the interface and controls were (not to mention that terribly disjointed NPC audio. Seriously?).

After playing several missions I was more than happy to uninstall it and say good riddance, though I was REALLY hoping for a better experience. Operation Flashpoint occupied vast portions of my gaming time back in the day. A buddy of mine who I had literally begged to give it try also had a similar experience. The term "rough around the edges" did not even begin to describe the awkward mess that we found in Arma 2.

That being said, having played DayZ for 8 weeks now (and having had many of the same misgivings about the Arma 2 engine vs. DayZ as I had earlier with the demo) I will say that I've gotten over many of it's quirks and would even go as far as to say that I've grown a bit fond of the general "feel" of the engine (but that fucking inventory system has got to go).

I find myself now wanting to play Arma 2 and possibly even invest some time into discovering more of its mods. The only problem is that I can't tear myself away from DayZ long enough to do it. No matter whether or not DayZ gets released as a part of the next Arma installment, I will definitely be purchasing Arma 3 on release day, if only to support BIS.

tl;dr I thought Arma 2 was a pathetic attempt at a game engine upon release, and now I am having second thoughts about what I've been missing.

I like flying helicopters around in the armory mode.

I wouldn't play Arma online because (I think) it's usually played with military ranks and orders and so forth and well, I just don't play well with authority.

Arma 2 has features which go very nicely with DayZ, but I never would have got it if it weren't for DayZ. Doesn't mean that it sucks or that I can't now enjoy Arma 2 at some point since I got it anyway.

But I look forward to when DayZ takes the step over to stand alone game.

I love Arma, but I think it'd be cool if, just for shits and giggles, we tried putting DayZ on the penumbra engine.

Yes. Other than the giant maps' date=' pretty much every fps engine does all of these things significantly better. I have high hopes for dayz on arma3 engine.

[/quote']...You're telling me an FPS shooter does simulation better than ArmA 2? Well, as far as I know no other shooters have large maps like ArmA 2. You must be new to BIS's simulators. Go into the editor, place yourself in the middle of any map. There's more simulation going on in an empty map than a full firefight in any current FPS shooters.

Um, sorry to burst your bubble but ArmA 3 isn't going to be some fast-paced FPS. I've even heard rumors of DayZ NOT getting ported to it.

Arma 2 does suck. DayZ is a mod and would do much better with a better engine. I'm hoping they use Arma 3 eventually.

Okay' date=' tell me what do you like about DayZ. Maybe I should point you in the direction of other zombie mods for ArmA 2. I'm sure they'll be better too without riding on ArmA 2's back. I mean I'm SO sure DayZ would be amazing without the large maps, collection of weapons, vehicles, player models, buildings, simulated weather, physics, night and day cycle, simulated ballistics, simulated wind that affects bullets, trees, grass, etc...

I want you to tell me what DayZ is, in a nutshell. What does DayZ contain? Let me lay it out for you. Okay, what you generally have in DayZ is, mission scripts, UI scripts, a few custom zombie/melee animations, some custom object models, custom zombie sounds, custom soundtracks, hrm... What else is there? Can you name something that DayZ NEEDS from ArmA 2 to make it as interactive and hardcore as it is now? Oh wait, hold on I can answer that for you. It's ArmA 2. DayZ NEEDS ArmA 2 to be as good as it is now.

I like flying helicopters around in the armory mode.

I wouldn't play Arma online because (I think) it's usually played with military ranks and orders and so forth and well, I just don't play well with authority.

Trust me, it's not like that. Go into any Warfare server and you can do whatever you want. Take an F-35, fly around and shoot Russians. Nobody will tell you anything to do. Unless you're playing on a hardcore ACE server...Yeah that's a different story.

"ArmA 2 is shit' date=' DayZ is amazing"

I've been seeing this type of message everywhere lately. On these forums, YouTube and BIS forums. Really guys?

Give some respect to the game that makes DayZ...Well, DayZ. Without ArmA 2, DayZ would just be another typical zombie shooter.

Seriously get rid of this mindset. Give some respect to BIS for creating an amazing series since OFP and give some respect to the game itself for making the mod so awesome. I don't care if you just bought ArmA 2 for DayZ, that's your money you can waste it however you please but calling the game that makes DayZ actually good terrible is just low. No disrespect to Rocket and the team. Just getting sick of all these people.

[/quote']

Without Arma 2, Day Z would not be incredibly vulnerable to hacking and be so generally clunky.

As a standalone game or perhaps an Arma 3 mod i'm sure it will be far better. But right now there's only so much the Day Z devs can do to improve the game while still an Arma 2 mod.

I bought Arma 2 for DayZ, but I watched a few videos of Arma 2 on youtube and it actually looks amazing... I wish I knew of it before I did. I only found out that Arma 2 existed BECAUSE of DayZ and plan to buy Arma 3 if it is the same concept and playing it for the game itself.

Without Arma 2' date=' Day Z would not be incredibly vulnerable to hacking and be so generally clunky.

As a standalone game or perhaps an Arma 3 mod i'm sure it will be far better. But right now there's only so much the Day Z devs can do to improve the game while still an Arma 2 mod.

[/quote']

There might not be much DayZ devs can do, but BIS is stepping up and releasing fixes that benefit the mod.

If DayZ went standalone I'm willing to bet they'd use the Real Virtuality game engine. DayZ is already listed on the wikipedia page along side other stand alone retail "mods".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Virtuality_%28game_engine%29

I've owned ArmA II since 2010 and frankly I really don't care that DayZ has stolen the spotlight. There's a reason it stole the spotlight. It did something new. It's also tapping a bigger market than the military simulator one. Why can't DayZ just have its cake and eat it too? Yes it is a mod for ArmA II; and yes ArmA II is a good game.

You can't really deny ArmA II is a bad game if you like DayZ because it is ArmA II still. Anyone who enjoys player-made content within a game but dislikes the game is not making any sense. Whoever says ArmA II is bad and enjoys DayZ is just being hypocritical. However if they dislike simulating military warfare that's their business and you have no authority over their opinion.

deal-with-it-cat.jpg

Without Arma 2' date=' Day Z would not be incredibly vulnerable to hacking and be so generally clunky.

[/quote']

There might not be much DayZ devs can do, but BIS is stepping up and releasing fixes that benefit the mod.

If DayZ went standalone I'm willing to bet they'd use the Real Virtuality game engine. DayZ is already listed on the wikipedia page along side other stand alone retail "mods".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Virtuality_%28game_engine%29

Depends. If the whole "players able to spawn shit as if the game is The Elder Scrolls with console commands" is tied to the actual engine then i'm sure Rocket isn't stupid enough to go with it if he makes a standalone Day Z.